Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running fogs without headlights popped up????

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:22 PM
opmope
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Running fogs without headlights popped up????

Sorry if there are other posts on this topic. Tried a search but did not find the info I was looking for.
2003 C5 with car running and no lights on except daytime running lights the fog light will not work. This is normal. The fog lights only come on when I turn the switch to the first or second position. When doing so my headlights automatically pop up.

How do I use my fog lights when I only turn the switch to the first position? I believe it is when the parking lights are on but I do NOT want the headlights to pop up???
Last year I am positive I could do this. The manual says no but I know for a fact I could use fogs while my headlights were in the down position.
Is there a setting I can change? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

When the switch is in the first position the fogs will be on with the lights still down...
Old 04-21-2009, 02:28 PM
marshterry
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you had to replace your headlight motor gears yet? Sometimes that can affect it. Mine do the same thing. No gear noise when I bought the car recently but now the gears are making the jack-hammer noise. A firebird I have had the same symptom and was cured by the replacement of the headlight gears.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:31 PM
DEATHPROOF
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fog light switch above the trunk release has to be on too.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Something is wrong. My headlights stay down when my parking lights only are on. Could it be one of the settings in the D.I.C.?
Old 04-21-2009, 02:49 PM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68
Something is wrong. My headlights stay down when my parking lights only are on. Could it be one of the settings in the D.I.C.?
That's your daytime running lights. Normal.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:51 PM
opmope
Intermediate

It was my first run after putting the car back on the road when I noticed my problem. My right side motor is jack hammering. I just got the new brass gear from Ecklers last week and will be replacing it soon. Once replaced I will let you all know the out come. Just can't see how that would have anything to do with it?
Old 04-21-2009, 02:54 PM
opmope
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Drewstein
When the switch is in the first position the fogs will be on with the lights still down...

No, my headlights pop up what ever the switch position. If what you say is happening , then I would not be posting right now.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like your gears are wearing as another posted pointed out.

-Alex
Old 04-21-2009, 03:14 PM
ChromeC5
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the setting on the DRL's in the DIC. See if anyone knows about the Canadian cars on this forum. There was something with Canadian models poping up the headlights automatically (day. Not too sure about it, but after a winter of sitting, your computer may have reset itself.

After a quick check, from another forum:
When Twilight Sentinel is activated, the head lights will automatically turn on when it senses a low level of light and turn off again when the light level is high enough, and turn off automatically after you shutdown. Press the Options button on the right side of the dash and Twilight Sentinel should pop up as one of the first options that you see. It's probably set to "OFF" since you haven't noticed this issue. Besides activating them, there is a 'delay' time setting that determines the amount of time they stay on after you shutdown.

One thing you may notice with the sentinel activated is that the head lights will come on in the garage after you start but not if the parking brake is set. When you release the parking brake, the lights will pop up and on. After I back out into the sun, they turn off a few houses down the street.

Could it be this?
Old 04-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,282 Likes on 13,960 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

That's the way my '00 worked. The headlights did not pop up unless the switch was in the second position.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Turbopower87
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have the twighlight function activitated? Check your settings in the DIC to see if twighlight is on. If it is, try turning it off.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:35 PM
00 Rooster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by opmope
Sorry if there are other posts on this topic. Tried a search but did not find the info I was looking for.
2003 C5 with car running and no lights on except daytime running lights the fog light will not work. This is normal. The fog lights only come on when I turn the switch to the first or second position. When doing so my headlights automatically pop up.

How do I use my fog lights when I only turn the switch to the first position? I believe it is when the parking lights are on but I do NOT want the headlights to pop up???
Last year I am positive I could do this. The manual says no but I know for a fact I could use fogs while my headlights were in the down position.
Is there a setting I can change? Thanks in advance for any help.
since bringing my 2000 out of winter storage, this exact same thing has been happening. I installed HID fogs and thought that was the problem but everyone on here said it is more than likely the headlight gears-a few thought it might be the actual headlight switch.

on a side note, when I turned my fogs on (on click up on the switch) yesterday, they worked as they should. just the fogs came on! maybe I just had a gremlin

either live with it or look into the brass headlight gears. good luck
Old 04-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by ChromeC5
Check the setting on the DRL's in the DIC. See if anyone knows about the Canadian cars on this forum. There was something with Canadian models poping up the headlights automatically (day. Not too sure about it, but after a winter of sitting, your computer may have reset itself.
Mine is a Canadian car and I can turn on just the parking lights and the fogs without having the headlights pop up. I drive like that a lot actually, whenever it's cloudy I will turn on the fogs but not the headlights.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:18 PM
opmope
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Patman
Mine is a Canadian car and I can turn on just the parking lights and the fogs without having the headlights pop up. I drive like that a lot actually, whenever it's cloudy I will turn on the fogs but not the headlights.
That is how I drive too. This is why I am asking if the setting needs to be change some where. Maybe lost memory over winter? Have it hooked up to battery tender all winter so never lost power. Twilight is on.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:33 PM
NorCalVette Kid
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

plus you have to make sure the fog light switch is on.

Here's mine with just the parking lights and fogs...

Old 04-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd have to review the circuit but in many cases the switch provides the ground so the motors are always hot. Considering that, you may have a ground issue. Check/Open inspect the ground harness connectors and all other grounds.

Do a C5 General search for ground issues. There is a post with excellent pictures of the connector packs. One is just aft of the drivers side headlamp on the frame rail.

Get notified of new replies

To Running fogs without headlights popped up????

Old 10-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Retro99
Racer

i know this thread it like 6 months old but instead of starting a new one im gonna ask in here.. i am also wondering the exact same thing as the OP

ive tried just one click on the headlight switch but the fogs DO NOT turn on when i press the fogs button. i tried toggling on and off the twighlight feature testing the "one click up" method in both settings and the fogs still only come on when the headlights pop up in twighlight mode "ON" and the e-brake is down in dim light conditions.
as a matter of fact, my headlight switch seems pointless because the headlights only come on and off with the twighlight setting "ON"
if i turn it "OFF" i cant manually turn my headlights on and off with the switch. the only sign of life ive seen out of the switch is if i leave it two clicks up when driving at night and shut off the car the headlight with turn off but stay in the up position.

is my switch bad? i really want to be able to drive with just the parking lights and fogs

EDIT: 1 more thing.. if i just go one click up during the day, nothing happens.. no lights come on.. only the DRLs are on allll the time while the car is on

Last edited by Retro99; 10-17-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:32 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You should be able to turn on just the parking lights (front, rear and side marker lights activated) and the fog lights.

If the headlight door engage with parking lights only - I would consider checking the headlight motors. One of the indicators of a failing gear in a motor is that the door pop up with just parking lights.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Retro99
Racer

thats not what i said...

i said i cant turn on my fogs when turning the switch one click, and the parking lights DO NOT come on either.. headlights go up and down in the automatic feature only

Quick Reply: Running fogs without headlights popped up????