Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My thoughts on the C5's interior...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 11:32 AM
techristian
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

It sounds like we have an import car saleman here !!

I don't want to hear about your import. I'm happy with my vette. If you're not the original owner, you have no idea how that car was treated.

Dan

http://teachmedrums.com
Old 05-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
Best car I ever owned was a Twin Turbo 300 ZX. The Vette is fun but it lacks in many areas, with the interior being the easiest to complain about.
Wow that was like the worst sports car I have owned and I have had many!

The only thing it had going for it was the size. I did like the way the interior flowed but overall I hated the car and sold it in 2 moths.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

My favorite interior in a reasonably priced sports car was my 1995 Rx7. Not over the top and not fancy. Huge tach and nice interior feel.

The main thing about the C5 interior that sucks is

The seats! I upgraded to C6 sport seats and they so much better

The steering wheel is awful. Like you said cars that are older have a better steering wheel.

The cheap door handles to get in and out of the car. I have no idea why someone hasn't produced a nice stainless one

The door panels are awful vinyl.

Things I like are

Gauge cluster setup. I think it is straight and to the point. Also being able to check codes without a scanner is a big plus.

Pedel layout is also good
Old 05-25-2009, 02:23 PM
brian ns04
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most GM interiors could use a upgrade.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:17 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Just what is the point of these "cheap interior" posts ? C5s are no longer produced, GM can't change their interior design. If you didn't like the interior, why did you buy the Vette?
I just do not see the point of these posts............
Old 05-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Reasonably objective comments, for the most part. I hope the really dopey ones (all imports suck) are tongue-in cheek.

I think the C5 interior should get mixed reviews. The layout is as good as any sports car interior I have owned, and I've owned plenty. Good ergonomics which do not detract from the driving experience.

Materials, however, are on the cheap side and the typical monochromatic interior looks pretty boring. Plus, the C5 seats, while quite comfortable, are poor for performance driving -- even the so-called sport seats.

So, the fixes are out there and not all that expensive:
  • Get lucky enough to buy one that has a contrasting carpet and lower panels -- looks more "contemporary" to my eyes
  • When the time comes to upgrade your worn-out seats, you can add a little contrast on the seat skins (which my car's prior owner did) or put in Sparco or Corbeau upgrades (and get C4-like support) for not that much $$$$.
  • A few subtle bling items can go a long way. Prior owner on mine inserted stainless letters on the passenger airbag and a decal on the steering wheel. That plus contrasting seat skins really woke up the interior without going over the top -- and certainly cost very little.
  • If you follow the owner's care instructions the interior seems to hang in just fine -- 77K on mine and it looks good -- but if you examine closely it is starting to show wear that a Porsche or BMW interior would not show.

Overall, I find it really hard to complain about the interior because for the most part it provides an excellent driving environment.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Question:
Originally Posted by jrprich
Just what is the point of these "cheap interior" posts? I just do not see the point of these posts............
Answer:
Originally Posted by Airbase
My 02 vette that i've had for a week now is the first american car i've ever owned, and so I'm posting my thoughts on the interior quality. Just putting what i think out there, i'm not bashing either chevy or the vette, or any people here.... just want to see the response/discussion from this. Knowledge is addictive.
-Alex
Old 05-25-2009, 04:02 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I've owned 25 cars... (my 25th being my Corvette)...
Here's a list... (of what I can remember)
1981 Mustang
1991 Eclipse 1.8L
1991 Talon AWD
1995 Jetta VR6
1994 Honda del Sol VTEC
1997 GTI VR6 Driver's Edition
2003 GTI 1.8T
1989 240SX
1994 Honda Civic EX Coupe turbo
1993 Talon AWD
1992 240SX
1995 GTI VR6
2001 Jetta 1.8T
1999 Camaro SS
1992 Blazer 4x4
2003 350Z Track Edition
1994 Mazda Protege
2003 Chevy Trailblazer
1995 240SX (LS1 swap)
2006 STI
2008 Civic Si coupe (still own it)
2002 Corvette coupe (still own it)

Now that being said, I will say that I have seen many new/used cars interiors as I've test driven more cars in 8 years than most people will own in thier life.
I will say the Corvettes interior is very well-laid out, however yes, the materials are cheap. You didn't buy the car for what the interior feels like, if you did you'd have bought an M3 or a german car and bitched about its weight, or have bought a Japanese car and bitched about it's lack of torque and (if you're like me) soul.
Yes my 08 civic's interior is better quality than my Vette, however even tho it's the 'sporty' model civic (si coupe) the interior and the whole car feels soul-less. European cars don't feel this way.
The REAL shortcoming of the C5 in my opinion is, the stereo... and I plan on addressing my stereo shortly. However I'm in no rush because this is the first car where the stereo doesn't matter much - why? because the car is too entertaining in its own right to worry about the music playing.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:07 PM
sbadd99
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 46 Posts

I agree with some of your findings, when we import them from the US we have to convert them to RHD, includes new door trims, Dash and center console, we go to a lot of effort to ensure it all fits up better, as with most production cars they have a lot of plastic components, and they don't fit up that well, and its nothing to do with the guys assembling the vehicle, Bose steero is crap but I think the overall design is really good, each to their own, C6 has lost it, the leather used on the seats are not much chop and shows wear real quick, but the C5 seats are far more comfortable on a long trip then the 6, so its just back to being a production car. you sure set the cat amoung the chickens but thats what a forum is for, opinions, findings, support, ideas and reference.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:08 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I'm not sure what the point of your post is - coming into an enthusiast's forum and bashing the foundation is not a way to Make Friends and Influence People .

Fit and finish? Never heard of it.

Best fun you can have with your clothes on? Corvette. Any year.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:09 PM
rnjroz
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

First off, welcome to the world of corvette ownership. Your point is a valid one, and it's great that you took the time to explain that this is your 1st corvette and that you do love it. The corvette, as mentioned above, is made to be driven. It just happens to be a car that alot of people have very strong opinions about. We ALL love our corvettes. And considering most of us spend alot of time and money upgrading/personalizing our interiors I'd say alot of people would agree that the interior isn't the greatest. It's also not as bad as some people make it out to be. It's always the first thing any import driver rags on which always ****** me off. Conversation is the point of this forum and as long as your not here to rag on the corvette and its owners then you've every right to start a conversation.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:32 PM
jpandes
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Do a search for "Caravaggio" You'll see some killer custom interiors...
and get some aftermarket seats.

Last edited by jpandes; 05-25-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:10 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Argent C5
Reasonably objective comments, for the most part. I hope the really dopey ones (all imports suck) are tongue-in cheek.

I think the C5 interior should get mixed reviews. The layout is as good as any sports car interior I have owned, and I've owned plenty. Good ergonomics which do not detract from the driving experience.

Materials, however, are on the cheap side and the typical monochromatic interior looks pretty boring. Plus, the C5 seats, while quite comfortable, are poor for performance driving -- even the so-called sport seats.

So, the fixes are out there and not all that expensive:
  • Get lucky enough to buy one that has a contrasting carpet and lower panels -- looks more "contemporary" to my eyes
  • When the time comes to upgrade your worn-out seats, you can add a little contrast on the seat skins (which my car's prior owner did) or put in Sparco or Corbeau upgrades (and get C4-like support) for not that much $$$$.
  • A few subtle bling items can go a long way. Prior owner on mine inserted stainless letters on the passenger airbag and a decal on the steering wheel. That plus contrasting seat skins really woke up the interior without going over the top -- and certainly cost very little.
  • If you follow the owner's care instructions the interior seems to hang in just fine -- 77K on mine and it looks good -- but if you examine closely it is starting to show wear that a Porsche or BMW interior would not show.

Overall, I find it really hard to complain about the interior because for the most part it provides an excellent driving environment.
The C5 has a nice interior design. Sure, the components, leather and stereo could be better, however for $5K, you could improve the interior 100% at a fraction of what GM or any other car manufacturer would charge for that "option package" retail.

I like the idea that I paid for performance and not comforts. Sure, it would be nice to have better materials, leather, etc., however not at a price premium of $15k. Like I mentioned, you can improve it to your taste for much less.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Old Rotor Head
Melting Slicks

When I was looking to purchase my C5 back in '99 I looked at the entire package exterior, interior, performance and picked it over many others. I still feel I made the right decision for me 130k miles later. I don't really pay attention to the seats, door panels, etc because it's part of the package I love, the C5.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:10 PM
turbocrazy
Racer

:
Old 05-25-2009, 09:34 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo
While I agree the interior is on the lower end of the quality scale among sports cars, I will add I find it very comfortable. I have found most imports are not made for a guy over 6 foot that weighs 275:o

OK I'm a litlle fat but I fit in both my C4 and my C5 just fine. My buddy has a 350Z and it is very nice, but the seats are made for the smaller crowd. I also admit I cannot wear most sneakers because they are to damn narrow, why is everything made in Japan made for small people

My only other beef with my Vette is the orange peel. The paint could be better as well. But hey, I would not trade either for a GTR where the tranny fails all the time. I can live with a cheaper interior, knowing the car can take a beating and keep on ticking. Give me a real sports car, and make it American

i am a 6'2'' skinny guy and i have to have the seat ALL THE WAY back haha. if i was any taller i dont think i could drive the car.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:07 PM
BigTattooMan
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I guess I enjoy driving my car to much, I rarely look at the interior . With that said ya the interior is lacking a bit but I figure thats why I can afford to own such a great sports car.

Get notified of new replies

To My thoughts on the C5's interior...

Old 05-25-2009, 11:10 PM
Anunakki
Heel & Toe

Im new here but my $.02

The interior on the C5 leaves a lot to be desired however as has been pointed out there are many options to upgrade. GM priced the car affordably and SOMETHING had to give...it was the interior. Certainly the performance is a HUGE bang for the buck.

So I dont mind the cheap interior. One day I might go all out for something like a Carvaggio...

Ive also owned.

2001 Dodge Viper. Another cheap interior. Not *quite* as cheap as the vettes but again the MSRP was significantly higher.

1998 Ferrari 355. Worst interior of any car I have ever owned. Felt cheap and like it was going to fall apart. All the plastic became sticky. The leather wore out fast. Just a complete crap interior. However at WOT its music to the ears and thats why you should buy a Ferrari.

2000 BMW M Roadster. Loved the interior on this car. Wasnt too luxurious or high end but had just enough quality leather and parts to make it seem more expensive than it was. This is the type of interior I would like to see on my C5 one day.

2006 MB E55. This is a luxurious interior. As soon as you open the door you are hit with the smell of very high quality leather. Of course the MSRP is almost twice the C5. Im also not sure if a sports car should have an interior this luxurious.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

cost has always been one of the corvette's design considerations, they can give up some performance or luxury. I agree with the OP 100% that the interior sucks and i don't really care.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:32 AM
versatile
Drifting

You have probably noticed by now that those with Vettes on this forum for the most part have modified their interiors for a reason.
Compared to the quality of imports, they are not good. Dollars and sense ( no, not a spelling mistake ) were put into performance and design,"NOT" interior quality.

Performance and exterior looks came first for me. That being said, I have spent 8000.00 upgrading my interior to "match" the performance and exterior appearance.

When you can buy a C5 for the low $$$ that they cost now, you can afford to mod the interior to the standard that "You" deserve.

Last edited by versatile; 05-26-2009 at 12:35 AM.

Quick Reply: My thoughts on the C5's interior...