Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 six-speed worst shifting manual ever?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 01:25 PM
RPGR90s
Pro

Received 321 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Shifters

Originally Posted by rboineau
If I had just driven one C5 manual I would assume I had gotten a car with a defective transmission. But I have driven several, and they all shift like trying to stir a barrel of nails with a broom handle. Hard, balky, notchy, too-thin separation of gates, you name a negative quality for gearshifting and the C5 has it. Yeah, yeah, I hear you smarty-pants saying "get an automatic" or "if you can't drive it, sonny, park it". Well, I've been driving for over 45 years and have driven dozens of manuals. The only car that compares for poor shifting is a Pantera, and you can even get one of those shifting better than a C5.
Why in the world could GM not get a better shift out of these cars? I could understand the first year or two C5s having sub-par shifting but you would think that by about 2000 they could have improved it. Sometimes I think I should put a crowbar in my car and use it to lever from gear to gear. Maybe the lug wrench would work. I swapped fluids, which helped a tad, did--and then undid--the detent shim(only made the shift sloppy, 'tho one washer rather than two wasn't too bad). I hear the 2008-2009 C6 manuals have a pretty good shift--has anyone reading this experienced them and can comment? Regards, Ralph Boineau in central South Carolina.
Try driving a 70's era Cutlass with a Hurst 4 speed. Awful, noisy, and don't even try to shift into reverse.
My C5 shifts like the Hawaiian breeze by comparison. Predictable and smooth.
Old 04-16-2022, 08:01 PM
RED-85-Z51
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I learned to drive manual driving my 03Z home with an MGW shifter...ive never missed a gear to this day 3yrs later...its firm, crisp, and always finds the right gear. Amsoil atd made it even better.
Old 04-16-2022, 09:21 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Not the first time this one has come back from the grave I see.
Old 04-16-2022, 09:59 PM
LSgoBRRR
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by time4prime2shine
Everyone here will tell you MGW shifter....and I am leaning that way myself but MAY go with a Kirban shifter.....anyone have exp with that one???
I did the MGW shortthrow and its very tight and totally changes the shifting character. The install video was very detailed and they even include an alignment plate now. You will need to modify both the rubber boot and leather boot cover (for the latter I just cut the threads and folded it back so I can always restitch it, not that I will)

Unlike the Hurst it replaces the lower assembly as well and unlike the C6 it doesn't need to be cut down to not sit stupidly tall.

However the short throw means that the transmission provides more resistance than necessary. So you need to add 'anti-venom' washers to the transmission (which I'm doing along with a 'skipshift delete dongle' while the car is in the air). Until you do that it will feel like a gated shifter crossed with a tractor, very precise but needing of a firm hand.

​​​​​Miatas
I also had an early Miata and the short throw makes it pretty reminsent (in throw at least), The miata was only a 5 speed though so it only needed the one reverse/5th detent and the Vette is a 6 speed so it took a little longer to be very confident I was selecting 5th and not 3rd. If anything the MGW is tighter/notchy-er but its a lot less broken in and its hard to compare to a car I owned 20 years ago when back when my C5 was a baby.

The stock box is pretty damn mushy, I got used to it and was able to drive it fine but I don't regret getting the MGW and it was a fun install compared to rusty manifolds, o2 sensors and GM electrical clips... if you don't include taking out the console (that actually kinda sucked mainly due to the damn TCS connecter).

Last edited by LSgoBRRR; 04-16-2022 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-17-2022, 09:05 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Not the first time this one has come back from the grave I see.
I have to put my .02cents. He didnt understand evert time he went to trans place. The tech new right away what the problem was. IT WAS THE NUT BEHIND THE WHEEL. He just didn't get it. He never figured it out and sold the car.
Old 04-17-2022, 11:01 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 222 Posts

My 04 Z lot's HP had Callaway shifter would just at the wrong time lock up under hard acceleration read all the fixes got better but still at times but no at just the wrong time locked up let off the gas keep pressure on the shifter then will shift. it's a C-5 thing ..
Old 04-17-2022, 08:45 PM
minuteman048
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Have a 2001 C5 6-Speed and found it to be one of the best shifting cars I ever owned.
Old 04-17-2022, 11:12 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 341 Likes on 213 Posts

I loved my 2001 Z06...................including the shifter. I've owned at least 10 Corvettes or muscle cars that were stick shift.

Maybe................learn to shift?
Old 04-19-2022, 12:56 AM
joefriday
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

corvettes, being performance cars, just have transmissions that make audible clunks and rattles with normal operation, and to those used to driving mundane sedans, it can be off putting at first. in order to have the capacity to handle all that torque, they are built beefy, and will not sound or feel like a slippery synchro mazda transmission with a 130lb torque capacity. there are trade offs. In fact, the C5 with torque tube and all is still quieter than the ZF in my 90 C4, which sounds like a rock tumbler while idling in neutral.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:56 PM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by ONE BMF
Do the antivenom shim mod to the detent bolt on the pass side of the tranny for smoother shifting .. it works --i have MGW with the shim mod and its sweet http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...need-pics.html
Was waiting for someone to mention this before throwing it up myself....

Quick Reply: C5 six-speed worst shifting manual ever?