Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What determines value of C5 vette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 12:31 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What determines value of C5 vette?

Is blue book a good indicator of what the car may be worth? Or is blue book out of touch with reality due to recent recession?
Old 08-12-2009, 12:40 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

there are so many different "blue" books it's ridiculous. any dealer still u sing a physical book is using the one that suits his particular need best. it used to be that the most reliable "blue" book (it was really yellow, lol) was the NADA (national automobile dealers assoc) because it gave you several different pricing ranges. of course it never took geographical considerations into effect, so you could get a less than accurate approximate price. virtually every finance company used to use it as a guide for loan and loan value.

today, there are several very reliable on line services (including kelly blue book www.kbb.com) that will factor in all considerations. of course economic conditions in today's market have to be considered. in the end it almost always comes down to whatever the buyer is really willing to pay for the car involved and how desperate the seller is to sell it. there is always an *** for every seat. sometimes it just takes a lot longer to find it, lol!

Last edited by srs244; 08-12-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:43 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

In the real world - mileage, wear and tear and options!

Now in our world, it has to do with mods and the car itself, what a person wants. I know for myself that my 1998 will never be worth what is has on it to others but to me it's priceless.

For instance if I were to buy a Vette SuperCharged it would have to be from someone I knew that had it and I knew its value. But if I had to choose I'd pick one stock or close to it and do mods myself!

IMHO!

Thanks,Matt
Old 08-12-2009, 12:48 PM
renegad44
Safety Car

Location: This is not a Song, It's an Outburst: Or, The Establishment Blues; Sixto Diaz Rodriguez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by srs244
in the end it almost always comes down to whatever the buyer is really willing to pay for the car involved and how desperate the seller is to sell it.
A meeting of price, between seller and buyer, is the bottom line. I've seen some guys literally throw the "blue-book" out the window, and say, "lets talk business here."
Old 08-12-2009, 02:17 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

These are very good observations. I have been watching a few cars on my local California craigslist and it seems that supercharged cars are pretty hard to sell, I guess people are afraid of heavy duty mods and their possible consequences. I see my local dealers asking pretty high prices for vettes and these things just sit on their lots too. It seems to me that low mileage unmolested examples may be worth hanging on to... I was asking this BTW because I start seeing C6 that can be cheaper than C5 and was not sure what was up with this... I know I'm a sucker for the pop up lites but I guess not the only one...
Old 08-12-2009, 02:21 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by renegad44
A meeting of price, between seller and buyer, is the bottom line. I've seen some guys literally throw the "blue-book" out the window, and say, "lets talk business here."
I guess this all depends on how bad someone has to sell their car. I would imagine this would not be best time to sell, if someone really must sell at all. Just for kicks, I ran mine through KBB and it came up at LOL 35k retail. I can only imagine a dealer growing really old trying to get even near this price...
Old 08-12-2009, 02:28 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

The seller and the buyer.

Not that I would ever sell my first Vette, but I'm pretty sure no-one would pay the 20K over book that I would want.

Infact, I'm pretty sure it has more part $$$ in it than it's worth Blue Book...

Peace
Chip

Old 08-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Auctions.

-Alex
Old 08-12-2009, 03:03 PM
BigSexy181971
Burning Brakes

Regular every day people will not base any car off auction pricing as a guide to buying or selling a car.

I like to cruise the car sales ads in your particular 200+ mile area and get a good feel for what is out there. You know something comparable to what you want or have, then base the final pricing off the condition of the car.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:05 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Year, mileage, maintenance record, body style, modded or un- modded and color are all big factors in what one will pay for a car and what one will ask as well.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:22 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexSmith
Auctions.

-Alex
and Corvette 4 sale web sites:

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1153/Corvettes.html
Old 08-12-2009, 04:18 PM
97C5owner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
In the real world - mileage, wear and tear and options!

Now in our world, it has to do with mods and the car itself, what a person wants. I know for myself that my 1998 will never be worth what is has on it to others but to me it's priceless.

For instance if I were to buy a Vette SuperCharged it would have to be from someone I knew that had it and I knew its value. But if I had to choose I'd pick one stock or close to it and do mods myself!

IMHO!

Thanks,Matt
Perfectly stated Matt
Old 08-12-2009, 04:30 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Auctions.

-Alex
I seriously doubt you will find a good price indicator at auctions, not even Barrett Jackson
It would take a lot of guts to buy an undocumented vette off a typical dealer auction. Unless you shop for a parts car.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:32 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

What determines value of C5 vette?

Property of any type is worth (value) what the seller is willing to sell it for and/or the buyer is willing to pay for it...
Old 08-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSexy181971
Regular every day people will not base any car off auction pricing as a guide to buying or selling a car.

I like to cruise the car sales ads in your particular 200+ mile area and get a good feel for what is out there. You know something comparable to what you want or have, then base the final pricing off the condition of the car.
Regular everyday people attend auctions so I am not sure what you are talking about.

Originally Posted by petermj
I seriously doubt you will find a good price indicator at auctions, not even Barrett Jackson
It would take a lot of guts to buy an undocumented vette off a typical dealer auction. Unless you shop for a parts car.
I mean if you guys really want to scrutinize my answer, there are SEVERAL different types of "value." Market value, personal value, adjusted value, retail value, wholesale value, emotional value etc etc. So basically it just depends on what exact condition you are asking the question and what group you are posing the question. Since we are on a C5 forum, more people are going to disagree with me because they have too much emotional value to think their cars are worth $14 to $18k.

-Alex
Old 08-12-2009, 05:18 PM
urfubar
Burning Brakes

Regular everyday people attend auctions so I am not sure what you are talking about.

I mean if you guys really want to scrutinize my answer, there are SEVERAL different types of "value." Market value, personal value, adjusted value, retail value, wholesale value, emotional value etc etc. So basically it just depends on what exact condition you are asking the question and what group you are posing the question. Since we are on a C5 forum, more people are going to disagree with me because they have too much emotional value to think their cars are worth $14 to $18k.

-Alex
Alex and I always agree...Plus we have the best color of vette available!
Old 08-12-2009, 06:05 PM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Condition of car for me! I would and have paid more for a "97" than I would for a "clapped out" 04. The 97 was my first c-5 and was show condition, super chevy winner etc...I, of course, drove the hell out of it and racked up 40,000 miles in 2 years! I did keep it in pristine condition however and got most of my money back. C-5 Vettes are not a good investment but are a great car to enjoy. Better to start out with a good one as parts and repairs are not for the faint of heart!
Dave

Get notified of new replies

To What determines value of C5 vette?

Old 08-12-2009, 06:06 PM
KenShores
Burning Brakes

One indicator I took was, what would my insurance company pay out if totaled. Kind of negative, but maybe an important indicator. After that, what are you willing to pay for what you see?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:12 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by KenShores
One indicator I took was, what would my insurance company pay out if totaled. Kind of negative, but maybe an important indicator. After that, what are you willing to pay for what you see?
great point regarding insurance. Insurance companies have a habit of setting a total loss value based on the value of comparable vehicle. If you have a very low mileage car in the see of more abused and higher miles, what is really comparable then?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:22 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I have to disagree that yellow best color....I favor electron blue of course beauty always in the eye of the beholder when selling best price is highest, when buying best price is lowest you can get for what you are looking for

Quick Reply: What determines value of C5 vette?