Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] ls6 heads vs. aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 02:58 PM
MillertimeZ06
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Absolutely would i prefer used headers! They go so quick in the for sale section you'd swear they were made of gold! This is the info i was looking for. The prc heads do seem like a great value also. 11 second street car is really all i am looking for. Of course with more seat time and the proper mods. I have made a few poor performance combos in the past to my drag/street car that i dont want to invest all this time and money just to be dissapointed. You always have one guy love something and then the next guy hate it. Im done with the guessing games!
Old 08-29-2009, 02:24 AM
hardcore4sure
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just FYI your going to need headers no matter what you do.
Heres a approximate break down of your actual cost:

Headers= 25-35rwhp/tq depending on which brand
Cost $900-1600 new / $500-$1000 used + $300 install + $400 tune
Total $1200-$2300 installed & tuned

Cam Kit= 30-45rwhp/tq (medium size high 220s low 230s duration)
for good driveability street manners and off idle & part throttle torque
Cost $599 TSP Cam Kit + $600-$800 install + $400 tune
Total $1600-$1800 installed & tuned
Please Note:YOU WILL NOT ACHIEVE MAX RESULTS WITH OUT HEADERS

Heads:
TSP LS6 Stage 1-3 = 20-40rwhp/tq over stock LS6 heads
Cost $1100-$1500 + $800 install + $400 tune + $150 gaskets & bolts
AFRs or Trickflows = 30-50rwhp/tq over stock LS6 heads
Cost $2200-$2400 + $400 for roller rockers w/TFS heads + $800 install +
$400 tune + $150 bolts & gaskets
Total $2450-$4150 installed and tuned
Please Note:YOU WILL NOT ACHIEVE MAX RESULTS WITH OUT HEADERS

No matter what you will need to pay for a tune for each mod if you do them individually. Thats up to $1200 for tuning.
Also you can save on the install cost of headers ($300+)if you do the heads at the same time cuz the manifolds come off anyway.
You can also save $200-$300 off the cam kit + install time, because the heads already have the springs and retainers installed.
You could also sell you stock LS6 heads for $400-$500 to offset the cost for doing more than just 1 mod.
Do it right the first time save time and $$$ by waiting till you have the money for HEADS & CAM + HEADERS all at once,once you decide to do the HEADERS AND CAM ,you might as well do the heads even if it's only stg. 1 because they pay for themselves.Even if you THINK you don't want to go that far with mods, YOU WILL because it is so addictive!
BUT HERE'S WHAT YOU SAVE:
$400-$800 on tuning
$300+ header install
$300 on cam kit
$150-$200 spring & retainer install
$400-$500 to resell your HEADS
Total SAVINGS $1550-$2100 Thats enough $ that you basically get 1 of the 3 for free.
SKILLS are FREE= RESULTS that are PRICELESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best part is you will have a guaranteed mid to low 11 sec/120+ mph car with 440rwhp+/400tq+ & good street manners.
With the money saved by not doing it in stages you have saved enough $ for the most important mod of all,lots of STICKY TIRES

Last edited by hardcore4sure; 08-29-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:31 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

^ great info

Repeat:

HEADERS, TUNE and Sticky TIREs
Old 08-29-2009, 11:46 AM
hardcore4sure
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
^ great info

Repeat:

HEADERS, TUNE and Sticky TIREs
I agree that should be the first POWER mod should always be a VARARAM or other CAI and HEADERS + tune. Allow the engine reach it's MAXIMUM potential in stock form. Plus they are absolutely VITAL in the neverending quest for more HP , so they will have to be done at some point anyway. These mods actually yield impressive results on par with a CAM or HEADS installed individually.
On average heres what you gain:
1.Vararam 3-4 tenths & 3-4 mph
2.Headers 3-4 tenths & 3-4 mph
3.Tune 1-2 tenths & 1-2 mph necessary for best results from 1 & 2
4.Cam 3-5 tenths & 3-5 mph only with the addition of 1,2,& 3
5.Heads 4 tenths avg. & 3-5 mph depending on brand and 1,2,3, & 4
But no matter which one comes first DRAG RADIALS are a MUST!!!!
SKILLS are PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by hardcore4sure; 08-29-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:02 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Hell 95% guys here on the forum can not drive a stock vette to its FULL potential.

SKILLS are PRICELESS
Old 08-29-2009, 12:31 PM
hardcore4sure
Burning Brakes

Hell 95% guys here on the forum can not drive a stock vette to its FULL potential.

SKILLS are PRICELESS
INDEEEEEEEEEEED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2009, 03:54 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

SKILLS are PRICELESS
Guilty as charged.

Still practicing.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:38 PM
MillertimeZ06
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Absolutely I agree we all are guilty of not utilizing the hp of our corvettes. I am too trying to better myself. Im excited to purchase an mgw shifter soon. This should make my shifts alot smoother. Purchase some drag radials. See what I cant do now that my vararam intake is installed. The ls6 cam specs are quite small. I think something around 230 duration and some 570-580 lift could still create power throught powerband. Would probably chose headers over heads. Just put springs and new pushrods. So a bigger cam, headers, x pipe, tune, cai, radials, mgw(faster shifts), should really put me in the mid 11's really easy. There is just so much stuff out there which says it creates power. Underdrive pulley sayd 15rwhp for $200. Smoother air tube from my mass air to throttle body says better throttle response and hp $100, ported ls2 throttle body builds more hp(?$), bigger mass air $350. Its tough to know whats worth it and whats not. I want to be glued in my seat from start to finish. Drag stip, road course, grocery shopping!
Old 08-29-2009, 11:01 PM
hardcore4sure
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MillertimeZ06
Absolutely I agree we all are guilty of not utilizing the hp of our corvettes. I am too trying to better myself. Im excited to purchase an mgw shifter soon. This should make my shifts alot smoother. Purchase some drag radials. See what I cant do now that my vararam intake is installed. The ls6 cam specs are quite small. I think something around 230 duration and some 570-580 lift could still create power throught powerband. Would probably chose headers over heads. Just put springs and new pushrods. So a bigger cam, headers, x pipe, tune, cai, radials, mgw(faster shifts), should really put me in the mid 11's really easy. There is just so much stuff out there which says it creates power. Underdrive pulley sayd 15rwhp for $200. Smoother air tube from my mass air to throttle body says better throttle response and hp $100, ported ls2 throttle body builds more hp(?$), bigger mass air $350. Its tough to know whats worth it and whats not. I want to be glued in my seat from start to finish. Drag stip, road course, grocery shopping!
Do the pulley when you do the cam it has to come off anyway, pulley actually closer to 8rwhp. The PP TB and smooth air tube doesn't actually add much HP but feels like it because the throttle response becomes RAZOR SHARP.Just remember if you go to a FAST 90mm manifold the TB needs to be replaced,only at that point will a bigger MAF make much difference,more so if its actually 90mm or bigger.

Like I said before if you save $200-$300 on the springs & retainers that come with the heads. And the $150-$200 that it costs to install them. Then factor in that when installing heads you will not be charged for the header install that saves at least $300 in labor. You can sell your heads for $400-$500.Not to mention not having to spend $ on a 2nd or 3rd tune. All said and done you will save enough( $1050-$1300)that the cost of the HEADS is covered.
TRUST ME YOU WILL WANT THE HEADS EVENTUALLY! The reason I really advise you to do heads is this, you can achieve the same power as a large cammed only car, but use a smaller cam and have better driveability, more low end torque, EXPLOSIVE tip in throttle response & part throttle power + a broader powerband with at least equal or most likely more top end pull.Much better for a road course,still quite stout at the strip and not the ALL or NOTHING feeling you get with a soggy low end power band that doesn't start until 4000rpms where it gets to much to drop the clutch without blowing the tires off.A much better all around performer. That seems to be your goal if I'm not mistaken. Big cams aren't always the most fun to drive around in thru traffic or to grocery stores. Trust me I did it in stages before and wished I would have just done it right the 1st time.
Oh yea keep practicing SKILLS are PRICELESS & the DRIVER MOD is FREE !

Last edited by hardcore4sure; 08-29-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:22 AM
coble_ZO6
Heel & Toe

Hardcore4sure makes some really great points with the getting everything @ once deal. My problem is i cant stock pile that kinda cash that fast to do everything.

Miller your exactly where i'm at. Ive been to 2 of the local LS shops in Mooresville NC. Good guys at both shops. Tick Performance has a pretty nasty cam called the Polluter and Nick Williams does the ported LS2 TB's. if you dont want to do a FAST.

I'm just wondering how long to wait to get a FAST. Was Told @ Williams that i should just go with the cam and longtubes for now but, if i can save that much cash not having to buy all the additional parts for the cam when i get the Trickflows I might just wait. And again thanks for that tip Hardcore.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:56 AM
ZO6ME
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Good point about stock piling cash. You can start your parts collection though. As we all know, at least half of these parts can be purchased thru the C5 parts section. I picked up an ASP underdrive pulley that was never used, ls2 tbody C6 section, varraram cai new or used can be had. There are some great deals on this site just got to pick them up one at a time. I personally wouldn't buy a used cam but they are there also.
FAST comes after the cam.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:54 PM
hardcore4sure
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MENDERLE
Good point about stock piling cash. You can start your parts collection though. As we all know, at least half of these parts can be purchased thru the C5 parts section. I picked up an ASP underdrive pulley that was never used, ls2 tbody C6 section, varraram cai new or used can be had. There are some great deals on this site just got to pick them up one at a time. I personally wouldn't buy a used cam but they are there also.
FAST comes after the cam.
Very true, Stock pile the parts if you can't stock pile the cash , I feel your pain I always seem to find little ways to f**k off money when ever I have an "EXTRA" couple bucks. The USED parts section is your friend and can save you BIG DOE $$$.Be patient and will find what you need.Over all you can reach your goal going CAM only but in the long run you will be happier with H/C especially when it cost almost the same $.More power better manners.
Just tryin to help , I learned the hard way after doing multiple stages then multiple H/C set ups. Lots of wasted labor costs and anxiety waiting for it to be done right.

SKILLS are PRICELESS.......DRIVER MOD is FREE
woops it actually cost $3.38 a gallon around here !
Old 08-30-2009, 02:19 PM
hardcore4sure
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by coble_ZO6
Hardcore4sure makes some really great points with the getting everything @ once deal. My problem is i cant stock pile that kinda cash that fast to do everything.

I'm just wondering how long to wait to get a FAST. Was Told @ Williams that i should just go with the cam and longtubes for now but, if i can save that much cash not having to buy all the additional parts for the cam when i get the Trickflows I might just wait. And again thanks for that tip Hardcore.
Your very welcome .
And you do save that much and more. When you consider how many parts are removed for the CAM install , the HEAD R&R is about even when you consider the time taken to R&R the springs & retainers. My bud at NEWTECH says he actually prefers doing the heads over installing springs & retainers, he says its less tedious.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:23 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

I agree

and I have also stock piled quite a few parts for future mods.

LG Pro headers - bought slight used

Two sets of LPE PP 243 heads, purchased but sold them when some one offered me more then I paid

Radiators - Bought three sold two

Extra a-arms

Z51 suspension

Spec 3 Clutch and AL fly wheel

balanced & blue printed Diff 3.42

LG Carbon Fiber Drive shaft - but sold when someone need one RIGHT NOW.

extra body parts,

lots of little parts
Old 08-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Bash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id go with some TSP headers, Cant beat the price and they make good power.

Just for reference - My car makes 430whp on a n2o tune.

Mods are -
MTI X1 Cam
Ported Fast 90/90
Kooks 1 7/8
Offroad X
Stock Ti Catback
Vararam
Old 08-30-2009, 08:21 PM
ZO6ME
Drifting

I got LG longtubes from a group purchase here but man, its hard to beat TSP prices and quality.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:06 AM
JLayer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done two builds H/C on previous cars (fbody's) and when it's all said and done after all the supporting mods, misc. parts, etc. etc. it would have just been as much to save up for a supercharger in one shot and achieve better results. I've learned from my past and this time I'm doing it right. Supercharge that bish.

A nice cam lope does sound good though.

Get notified of new replies

To ls6 heads vs. aftermarket

Old 08-31-2009, 07:41 PM
blackula 99
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys was wanting some input on what everybody thinks. How good are our ls6 heads? Is it really worth the extra $2000 to go aftermarket? What about just having the ls6 heads reworked for more performance? This would still be much cheaper than new aftermarket heads.

I have a set of cnc 2002 ls6 heads that were done by tea racing....they are a stage 2 heads with flow characteristics that rival the afr 225's and blow away the 215's. I picked the heads up for 600.00 and spent 1000.00 on the cnc job...Do the math....cant beat these heads,just as good or better than afr's....my 2 cents
Old 08-31-2009, 09:48 PM
hardcore4sure
Burning Brakes

"I have a set of cnc 2002 ls6 heads that were done by tea racing....they are a stage 2 heads with flow characteristics that rival the afr 225's and blow away the 215's. I picked the heads up for 600.00 and spent 1000.00 on the cnc job...Do the math....cant beat these heads,just as good or better than afr's....my 2 cents "

Now a days you can get Stg. 2 TEA (BADASS heads by the way) heads for that or less + you can sell your stock LS6s.
Ends up being only about $1200-$1300 out of pocket. Performance is on par w/aftermarket castings, giving up very little in performance,although there are benefits of added strength with aftermarket castings.More important in F/I or Nitrous applications.

Last edited by hardcore4sure; 08-31-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:20 PM
ZO6ME
Drifting

Here's a new pulley in the for sale section. Probably too late on this one. Just an example of how you can pick um off one at a time.
Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley kit Corvette/CTS-V

Quick Reply: [Z06] ls6 heads vs. aftermarket