Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel leak 2004 cracked crossover connector smells

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 09:31 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone know if the fuel tanks may be covered under the emmission waranty?
Old 11-25-2009, 07:19 PM
2EZ 2SPD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rebelheart
I can smell mine but cannot find any evidence of a leak.If someone finds a leak ,could you please post a pic and maybe how they found it?
I put a link in post #13 that has pics in it of my fuel filter with leaks you can see. On mine the smell of gas was strongest near the rear of the drivers door (same location as the filter). Good luck getting your fixed.
The following users liked this post:
Morpheus34711 (08-13-2022)
Old 11-26-2009, 09:14 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

2004's have no external fuel filter.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:12 AM
2EZ 2SPD
Pro

2004's have no external fuel filter.
Wow didn't know that I've only worked with my 97. Where did they put it in 04?
Old 11-26-2009, 11:31 AM
cwalsh
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2EZ 2SPD
Wow didn't know that I've only worked with my 97. Where did they put it in 04?
Filter is non serviceable in the tank

Chris
Old 11-26-2009, 05:47 PM
2EZ 2SPD
Pro

Originally Posted by cwalsh
Filter is non serviceable in the tank

Chris
I see now the problem I had is nothing like the one you are trying to figure out here so sorry I have nothing to offer on that. Good luck hope you get it figured out.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:10 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Since the fuel tank is part of the evaporative system on the car ,I wonder why it is not covered under that warranty?
Old 11-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Aussie C5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with my 04 ce a couple of years ago.

I spent alot of time trying to find the leak. Replaced stainless steel crossover pipe, put transaxle back in and it still leaked when I filled over half a tank.
Problem was the left hand tank had a hairline split on top of the crossover pipe connection.
After years of seeing this problem on the forum, it should have been a recall by GM.
They changed the whole fuel tanks setup for the 04 models by using a stainless crossover pipe, instead of fail safe rubber and installed the fuel filter inside the tank. I think this was done for new laws introduced and I think it's the same setup in the C6 now. Why did they have to do it on the C5's.
Haven't had a problem in years but I still get worried when I fill up.
Good luck everyone.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:58 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

According to my owners manual,fuel tanks are covered under the emmission warranty,has anyone tried pointing this out to the dealer or rep?
Old 12-02-2009, 08:28 AM
dadsturn
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I have had the smell but never found the source. After having the car on a lift, i saw where the fuel was coming down and staining the bottom protector plate. I never found any fuel on my garage floor though.
On a trip, i was filling the car up and decided to just look underneath. I saw fuel leaking to the ground as i was filling up. Thankfully i didnt have any problem past that and it doesnt leak at any other time, just smells. So i fill only to 1/2 and do it slowly right now and i have not had any problems with smell or gas station leaking.
Has anyone revcd. anything from GM concerning the 04 problems? It sure seems to be mostly 04 that are having this problem.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:19 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

They will avoid the problem until some go up in flames I suppose. I am surprised the gov hasnt got after them for emission violations!
Old 12-02-2009, 10:01 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

I have gone to safercar.gov and filed a complaint with the NHTSA.gov. I hope everyone else does also so the gov can look into this serious safety issue!!!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 02:56 AM
Aussie C5
Advanced

I have gone to safercar.gov and filed a complaint with the NHTSA.gov. I hope everyone else does also so the gov can look into this serious safety issue!!!!!
Well done. Good to see an effort done
Old 12-03-2009, 08:46 AM
dadsturn
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I have also just written a complaint with the NHTSA. I am going to make
a post asking everyone that has this happen to file.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:41 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Good deal,now all you guys with the same problem need to follow suit and maybe the Gov will make GM step up and fix this very unsafe condition!
Old 12-03-2009, 10:23 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

ttt
Old 12-04-2009, 10:37 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

The more who file complaints the harder the Gov will look at this problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel leak 2004 cracked crossover connector smells

Old 12-05-2009, 01:23 AM
rnengnr
Instructor

Well heres where i am,,, i looked on the nhtsa.gov website and instantly found 10 hitswhich i documented.... i documented as many as possible on here.... I also found a Youtube link of a 2004 burning to the ground for no apparent reason and was obviously not able to be attributed to the tank after the burn but seems obvious to me.

bottom line is the 2003s had a rubber hose connecting the two saddle tanks,,,, it is NOT the fuel filter NOT the gas cap, NOT the plumbing...

It was changed to steel on two reasons that i read 1 EPA said the level of hydrocarbon being released into the atmosphere by rubber hosing was above limits. 2 there were many complaints of fuel smell in the passenger compartment. I dont know which it was but they change to braided steel.

the tank connector on the end of the hose is a twist lock bayonet style and has two o-rings that seal the connector,,,, it does NOT leak,,,,, the more rigid crossover hose breaks the plastic moulded connector on the tank. this connector is plastic welded to the main tank.

as for the dealer he was a jerk,,, Kendall Chevrolet,,, the service manager used mitchells guide to estimate the time.... i asked why he was not using th GM book and he told me that was only for warrantee,,,, i got him to reduce the time to 6hrs for a job that took around 2 hours.... remember he told me the transaxle had to come out.10.5hrs ..he had the standard BS used car salesman attitude...

so i called GM to complain about the faulty parts and the cost of the labor and the lies that were told to relieve me from my money...

GM listened to my complaint with the standard off shore " I am sorry for your trouble" " i will help you , I am assigned your case" blah blah after three weeks and two reps "regional service reps" I told him that i needed to speak to someone in detroit and i was going to start calling PBX extensions in the detroit offices until i got someone to listen....

the third rep said he could not offe any relief on the part (which is what i wanted since NTHSA entries indicated that the rep or dealer reduced or eliminated the cost of the tank on the repair).

he offered coupons on the next car i buy,,,, all kinds of options...

I will post my final decision once i have it in my hand however i bet if you pushed harder and used my information you would be able to do better than me since i was out of patientce..

i have a huge file that could be scanned and distributed if anybody wants it

my total cost on this was 1450...

Rick
Old 12-05-2009, 01:52 AM
rnengnr
Instructor

its been a while since i read this thread sorry for my absence ,,, you guys really perked up after a few weeks...

Thanks for the safercar.gov link i just finished my post....

I urge all 2004 C5 owners to fill out the form on the safercar.gov site since this IS going to happen to YOU sooner or later...

as I said this will not be the last vette or GM i buy but i will be a royal pain in th *** to every service writer i come in contact with and this guy will get zero business from area guys I know.... and I KNOW A BUNCH... time to look for an honest NON-Dealer

Ill check my mail tomorrow and see if the credit shows up and post it here...

thanx to all

RN
Old 12-05-2009, 01:07 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

I am afraid that until the Gov forces GM to recall these cars,the dealers hands are tied.After all they did not build them.That is why all 2004 Corvette owners need to go to the site and register a complaint.

Quick Reply: Fuel leak 2004 cracked crossover connector smells