Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone else have to park their Corvette outside?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Bri03MSG
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Does anyone else have to park their Corvette outside?

Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone else is in the same situation I am in. I only have street parking where I live, not only that but I live in the Pacific Northwest where it rains all the time and in the winter the roads get icy. I had a 4x4 truck before the Vette but when I saw it I had to try and get it. It's always been a dream of mine since a kid to drive and own a Corvette as I'm sure it was with most of you. My vert is my daily driver and I have to park it outside. I was thinking as long as I get my car detailed every few months it should be okay. I have been looking at car covers and saw ones that you could lock which would be nice since people like to mess with cars around here. I must be crazy getting that C5 vert but I couldn't help it I had to get it. If anyone is in this situation or was in the past did your vette handle being outside in the elements okay?

Thanks everyone and I also want to that say Corvette Forums Rocks!!
Old 01-10-2012, 12:19 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Bri03MSG
Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone else is in the same situation I am in. I only have street parking where I live, not only that but I live in the Pacific Northwest where it rains all the time and in the winter the roads get icy. I had a 4x4 truck before the Vette but when I saw it I had to try and get it. It's always been a dream of mine since a kid to drive and own a Corvette as I'm sure it was with most of you. My vert is my daily driver and I have to park it outside. I was thinking as long as I get my car detailed every few months it should be okay. I have been looking at car covers and saw ones that you could lock which would be nice since people like to mess with cars around here. I must be crazy getting that C5 vert but I couldn't help it I had to get it. If anyone is in this situation or was in the past did your vette handle being outside in the elements okay?

Thanks everyone and I also want to that say Corvette Forums Rocks!!
Only when the car is at my work,But it does get in the rain and I drive it about ever day. But no snow at all.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:26 PM
slj455
Instructor

Oldtimer

I do have a driveway, but I keep it covered. Can't get it into my small garage. Paying to have it detailed every few months seems excessive to me. but in fairness i am able to wash the car in my driveway. But have learned to accept a certain level of dirt when I am unable to clean the car.

Keep a good coat of wax on it and take it to one of those do it yourself car washes, to rinse the heavy dirt and road salt off will help.

Most of all enjoy the car. sounds like you will be driving it regularly so accept that there will eventually be some small dings and dirt.

No advice regarding people messing with it while its on street, except have good insurance coverage.

People on the this forum seem to feel these are pretty sturdy and reliable cars. They are after all is said and done Chevrolet's.

congrats on your new vette.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:26 PM
rbrtclk
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive my car year round. It stays outside during the winter. The finish looks as good as when it was new. If you give regular care, it will do fine. I have a two car garage, but my side is full of important "gadgets".
Old 01-10-2012, 12:29 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Mine sits outside all day, everyday regardless of weather. Though there are times when a hail warning pops up and I wish I had a garage. For the most part it just rains out here, hardly any snow so I'm ok with that.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:34 PM
whitesmokels1
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine sleeps inside.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:11 PM
raydawg357
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Since I leave for work before my wife does, I let her park in the garage during the week. It's not a big issue for me if my vette sleeps outside, I've drove it in the rain and snow and it still runs and turns heads.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:14 PM
2slicks1vette
Pro

I've had 4 Corvettes. The 3 Corvettes I had that I used to park outside all melted to the ground. The 4th one I keep inside and it has not melted to the ground.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I have had 10 new Corvettes over the years since 1971. Until my C5 I lived in apartments and they were forced to live outside. I always went to great lengths to maintain them, but usually after 2-3 years the elements would take their toll on the paint and the interiors.

I built a house with a large garage just before I purchased my C5 over 11 years ago. I drive the car everyday (mostly at night), but it has never spent a day just sitting outside for more than an hour or so. I detail the car constantly, but the car looks just like the day I drove it off the showroom. Knowing what I know now, I would never have a Corvette without a garage again - it made all the difference - that is why I still have it after 11 years - it looks and drives like new.

I do drive in the rain, but I am very cautious when the wind is blowing as the dust will really do a number on the clearcoat.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,300 Likes on 13,973 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thankfully mine stays in the garage, but if you do take good care of your car (regular cleaning and waxing), it should do just fine out in the elements. Be sure to keep your vert top clean too - wouldn't want that part of the car to degrade.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:42 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I think parking a Corvette outside at night is illegal in most states. I haven't checked all the laws, but I believe I'm right on this.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:28 PM
YNOT2K
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mine sleeps in here -

Old 01-10-2012, 03:34 PM
vette.mix
Le Mans Master

Mine sat outside for 2 years but I keep it covered, looks as good as it did when I got it
Old 01-10-2012, 03:35 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I've currently had to park my '01 outside for the past few years.

We have a 3-car garage, but dad's '06 XLR takes up spot #1, the '70 Barracuda 'vert I'm restoring takes up spot #2, and the '66 Morgan I'm 'hot rodding' is taking up spot #3.

I've got a 2 post shop lift outside under a tarp tent, and hopefully we'll be extending the garage to cover that and a 4-post lift I'll be picking up. At that point we'll have 5 single-car garages and I'll be able to park inside again.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:40 PM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Mine are inside:

Old 01-10-2012, 04:00 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Hellz no!
Old 01-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Grainraiser
Racer

I was going to ask the same question. I'm getting vette and I have no garage (converted to living space). It will be a weekend driver so my plan is to get a quality cover for it. Carports are not allowed so it is my only option. It may not be ideal but you got to make to the best out what you have.

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone else have to park their Corvette outside?

Old 01-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Bri03MSG
Advanced

Thanks for the responses everyone, I'm still glad I got my 03 vert even if it does have to stay outside. Cheers
Old 01-10-2012, 05:40 PM
LouWags
Pro

Mine is outside. Best I can do at the moment is wash it every Saturday.

--Wag--
Old 01-10-2012, 05:49 PM
TorchRedRocket
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

All of you guys who say you would never even own a Vette if you didn't have a garage to park it in crack me up. After all, it is just a car, and a Chevrolet, at that. Plus, all of you who say, "my Vette has never even stayed one night outside," I highly doubt the dealership that you bought it from kept your car in the showroom from day 1. It more than likely sat outside on the lot for an extended period of time at some point, on top of being transported on an open car hauler.

My car has slept outside every night for the last 2 years, aside from winter when I do store it. When it's parked next to torch red garage queens at car shows, my paint does not look any duller compared to others. I try to keep a good coat of wax on it every 3-4 months for protection. Also, if you live in a hot and sunny region, a sunshade for you windshield and window tint will really cut down on how much the sun beats down on your interior.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else have to park their Corvette outside?