Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 03:33 PM
Ryan Bell
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Z06s and coupe at Houston Auctions are going for really cheap

I've been going out to Big H Auto Auction here in Houston (the one out 290 a ways), and I've seen two Z06s and about five C5s go through there in the last month and a half or so. The prices are just awesome. I've got a friend who can get me in on the "dealer" day (whatever they call that), and there have been some really nice cars going through for CHEAP.

There was a 2001 Z06, speedway white, 9500 miles, mod red interior that went through about a week ago (reserve met) and sold for $33k, and there's another one ('01 Z06, speedway white, black leather) up there right now. I saw a couple of really low mile 99 and 00 coupes (white, black....I think both with less than 20k miles) go through for in the mid to upper $20k's. A month ago they had a 1993 Ruby Red Anniversary with 60k miles on it or so go through and sell for $9500. These are all "sold" cars......not "reserve not met" kind of things. If I had some extra cash to throw around, I would have loved to have picked up that white/mod red Z06. Beautiful combo in my opinion.

If any of you frequent the auto auctions locally (wherever you are), have you seen Z06's going through there? I just couldn't imagine why they'd send a car like that through the auction, when it seems that they could make so much more $ on it sitting outside on a lot. Anyway, just curious if any of you have seen stuff like this go through.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:05 PM
RPO_Z06
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Z06s and coupe at Houston Auctions are going for really cheap (Ryan Bell)

I watched a 2001 black Z06 go through the auction here, the car had 6,500 miles and black interior and sold for 36k.
I thought that was a good price, but your findings are much better.
I'm with you on that white with red. :cool:
Old 02-28-2002, 11:05 PM
Maalox
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Default Re: Z06s and coupe at Houston Auctions are going for really cheap (Ryan Bell)

I haven't been to any auctions, but I believe this is a reflection of the current corvette market in Houston. I have been shopping recently with a friend for a new C5 and the prices are as you put it "really cheap". The only bad news associated with the market is the hit I would take to unload my 01 Z06 for an 02.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:21 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Default Re: Z06s and coupe at Houston Auctions are going for really cheap (Maalox)

Good news if you're a buyer, but it makes me wanna :U
Old 03-01-2002, 01:52 AM
john m
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 66 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'06

Default Re: Z06s and coupe at Houston Auctions are going for really cheap (Zoomin)

with any luck, GM's decision not to offer incentives on new Corvettes starting March 1 will help those of us with '01's..I'd love the extra 20hp, but not at $400 each :eek:
Old 03-01-2002, 11:35 AM
Stan A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for this post. Auction sales that you mention are pretty much what we are seeing around the country. These sales prices at the auctions and the trade-in values at your local dealer(s) are very close in dollars and cents.

I had heard that a 2001 Z06 with 15k mileage went for $30,000 at an dealer auction in Orlando. That seems cheap to me but not being able to see what kind of shape the car was in leaves this unanswered to whether it was a good deal or not.

Like several others have mentioned here, the market is on the "down swing". The low production cars like the ZR1s and Callaways are really hitting the "bottom of the barrel" sort of speak. It is a great time to buy if you have cash.

Stan :chevy :seeya
Old 03-01-2002, 03:40 PM
Ryan Bell
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Z06s and coupe at Houston Auctions are going for really cheap (Stan A)

I had heard that a 2001 Z06 with 15k mileage went for $30,000 at an dealer auction in Orlando. That seems cheap to me but not being able to see what kind of shape the car was in leaves this unanswered to whether it was a good deal or not.
Yeah, I can see your point. Not all of these "mega-deals" at the auction are on cherry cars (in fact, I'd say most of them aren't), but the C5s I described were all in great shape (I guess that's kind of expected though for 99-01 models). The Z06 was pretty much flawless (other than a few extremely minor rock chips on the hood.....maybe three of them that you could barely see up close). The Ruby Red Anniversary was not really "cherry", but it was a nice car for the year/mileage. Fairly cleaner than most I've seen. Mileage wasn't that bad either for 1993 model.

Like several others have mentioned here, the market is on the "down swing". The low production cars like the ZR1s and Callaways are really hitting the "bottom of the barrel" sort of speak. It is a great time to buy if you have cash.
It certainly looks that way. I think my priority is going to be picking up a Z06 if I can get my hands on one later in the year (probably some time this summer). I'd *love* to have a ZR-1, but since I drive the C5 so often, and that's what it would be replacing, I'd feel a little guilty for putting so many miles on it. An '02 or '03 Z06 in silver/mod red would be nice, but if a great deal on an '01 in speedway white/mod red came up (like the ones at the auction or something), that'd be hard to pass up. I HATE it that Chevy cut white from being a Z06 color. That was probably my favorite color on the Z06.

As a side note, if anyone reading this is looking for a 1990 ZR-1 (blk/blk), I believe Daine (forum member) is selling his, as he's moving to London relatively soon. I've driven it, and been in it a few times, and it's a very strong car. It's had an engine rebuild by Jim Van Dorn about 15k ago, and it's got a freshly rebuilt ZF and relatively new tires on it. His forum name is "Daine Deaver", so email him if you're interested. Just wanted to pass that along. :)

Get notified of new replies

To Z06s and coupe at Houston Auctions are going for really cheap

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06s and coupe at Houston Auctions are going for really cheap