Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what's with C5/C6 parts vendors raising their prices lately?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 01:04 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default what's with C5/C6 parts vendors raising their prices lately?

I have noticed several vendors that sell Vette parts/mods have raised their prices latey. Are Vette owners that much different from everything else as far as cost? Does the Vette Tax defy what is going on in the world today? Everywhere you look you see things on sale or discounted because we are in one of the worst recessions in history. Yet somehow these vendors are about to not only not discount their price but to go up? Good luck with that cause the last time I looked my mod funds are nowhere where they were last year. I don't know about you guys but if I buy something this coming year I can't the Vette Tax anymore.

I'll find it cheaper or do without

Last edited by printmanjackson; 12-12-2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-12-2009, 01:18 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Cost of everything is going up. Maufacturing, advertising etc. Its not just Vette parts.

FWIW I have not seen anything I want go down in price. Vette parts, food, clothes etc. Sure alot of people are having "sales" but it is usually crap no one was buying to begin with they are just dumping old inventory.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:39 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

I think the stores & vendors that are trying to hold their margins the same as they were last year are not going to last. I understand cost going up but that just means lower profits these days. I am starting to see more and more stores willing to negotiate on price that in the past would not. You can walk into any store and I bet you will find that they are willing to price match or beat any other stores price. If you make an offer that is within reason they will get management involved if they have to and close the deal.

Me and my wife walked into Macy's the other day to do some Xmas shopping. When we first walked in right there to the right were fur coats and ofcourse she could not resist trying them on. They were discounted 60% and the sales lady said she would offer another 20%. That meant there was a $2400 coat for sale at $768 and I bet if I offered $600 they would have taken it. We weren't shopping coats but there is no way you could do that before. I have walked into BestBuy and done the same thing as long it's not a hot item. I think if they can make anything on it they will sell it.

So all you vendors out there raising your price, good luck but be aware of your competition because it's a different world today.

Last edited by printmanjackson; 12-12-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:42 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Oh it is definetly getting more cut throat...only the strong survive.

You can always call and ask for a discount..
Old 12-12-2009, 03:06 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I can tell you as a vendor, my prices from the manufacturers and suppliers that I buy from are constantly on the rise....as well as freight and shipping costs, are always increasing. Yes - I am trying to maintain a margin of profit, but I've watched profits shrink even in the last year.

GM is raising the prices on parts seems like almost daily. Do you honestly expect that those price and cost increases are not going to get passed on to the consumer? Do you honestly expect the vendors to simply absorb the costs and sell you a chrome doo-dad for the same price that it was last year? The other issue is competition - little guys like me simply don't have the buying power that the big houses like Mid-America, Ecklers, Corvette Central, etc. have. We don't buy or ship in the volume that they do - and as a result, our cost to buy the merchandise (which includes the freight to us) is not the same as the big boys.

I'll give you an example - SLP (markets Blackwing among other things) will give me free shipping, but only if I spend at least a minimum amount. Well that minimum amount may be more than I want to commit to one vendor and tie up my limited funds. For a big reseller like Mid-America, that's not a big deal, but it is for me.

The other issue is the vendors that are nothing but internet vendors, their overhead is minimal. They sit in their bunny slippers and pajamas working the internet, taking orders and ordering product. They often never even see the product that they're selling, they simply have it drop shipped to the consumer. They carry nothing in stock. They don't have a bricks and mortar store that they have to pay electricity, insurance, stock merchandise and lots of other little things. Customers like to walk into a shop to touch and feel the product before they buy. They want to hold that painted part next to the car and see if the color matches, they want to try on that jacket or shirt to see if the size is true to the label. But, over the internet, color is only as good as the computer and camera can reproduce it. The convenience of walking out of a shop with your purchase,and actually seeing it before you buy costs money.

I have had calls from potential customers price matching my price against some internet vendor. In some cases, the internet vendor is selling the item for close to what I buy it for. I cannot compete with that - nor do I want to.

When you walk into my shop - or call me on the phone - send me an email, or order from my web site.....you get me, not some hourly clerk just responding mechanically. The only thing that I can offer to set me apart from everyone else selling virtually the same product is superlative customer service, and my experience as a long time consumer of Corvette accessories. I try to put myself into my customer's shoes and treat them the way I expect to be treated.

I have two quotes stapled to the backboard of my desk that I look at all day long......

"Quality is always the result of intelligent effort."

“There is nothing in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man's lawful prey.”

Both of these quotes are from John Ruskin who
an English writer and critic born in 1819 and died in 1900....his words still ring true today.

So before you complain about prices going up, think about why....and it's not always because of greed as you imply.

Sorry for the long rant....and I hope I didn't offend anyone, that certainly wasn't my intent - I only meant to offer an explanation.

Last edited by blacksedan87; 12-12-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Mr. Lau
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In this day and age, I can't believe you would think prices would go down. The factors of the vendors own well being, as well as expenses such as buying inventory and paying the bills are important. I would find it hard to be in their situation and keep prices down.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:32 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

I've noticed it both ways...surprised you haven't as well. Here's a few examples:

Z06 front screens....these simple things were close to $100 in their early days; now they are pushing $180 for a new set.

Z06 rear brake duct/screen kit...I bought a set 2 years ago from one of our best here for around $125 for everything; same kit now is around $165+.

Front and rear C5 emblems; this one is baffling! I paid $13 for them years ago (from a Chevy dealer, no less)...now we see them listed at $50!

But on the other hand.......

Rear fascia opening straighteners initially sold around $60 for a set of 2; Now they can be had for less than $30 (which is really more what they are worth in the first place...goodbye Corvette tax)

Like he said above, just shop around and you will see some more examples. Also, I have been getting tons of emails now for 10% off, even 15% with free shipping from Eckler's, West Coast Corvette, etc. I have jumped on these for many items where shipping used to kill the deal.

Last edited by $$$frumnuttin'; 12-12-2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: can't type
Old 12-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Lau
In this day and age, I can't believe you would think prices would go down. The factors of the vendors own well being, as well as expenses such as buying inventory and paying the bills are important. I would find it hard to be in their situation and keep prices down.
I'm a plant manager of a textile manufacturing plant, and YES, the owner IS reducing cost (read margins) in order to remain competitive in order to keep business. It is then up to me to find ways to cut cost (a little here and a little there) in order to remain competitive. Once again yes, it can be done. I use the same formula as the OP, I only deal with vendors/companies that are willing to do the same thing and work with me on cost. If they don't, I will find someone that will.
Bottom line, get competitive or lose out. The successful companies will find a way. The ones that are willing to cut margins and survive,will be around later when the economy improves and can maybe THEN restore their margins when people can afford them

Last edited by Blow Torch; 12-12-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand either. My C4 was 30k new in 1992 now a new Corvette is 50K +

I remember when bread was 10 cents too.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I've noticed a few things going up... like radio bezels; last year i bought a new one for 123.00 and now they are about 200. Service manuals went from 115 to 150. my 2003 Anniv. Emblems are 65 each, and thats WITH the discount from Fitchner. Gene has them slightly higher; and retail is like 100 each! That's more than a hoodliner for crying out loud. Well, almost... hoodliner was 114. Delivered.

I've noticed also, that vendors are willing to work with me on shipping prices a lot more than before. Last week, Anthony at LG Motorsports gave me a hell of a break on shipping for LT headers and a tunnel plate. He knows I'm in Alaska. What did he charge me? A mere $80! Big for him. Also, Jim at Southern Car Parts, Matt at Vette Essentials, and Bob at Fichtner Chevrolet, have ALWAYS offered to send stuff to me Priority Mail because its so much cheaper than Fedex / UPS for Alaska. Then Autogeek... they're rates to Alaska are very reasonable in the first place so they rock too. (and I have not noticed their prices go up; some have come down even).

So I think it's really an issue of which vendors you deal with, that will dictate the results or observations you see. I've only ever run into one vendor here who refuses to work with me on s/h, but all that meant is that another has received the $1000+ in orders from me over the past year. I still got what I wanted, and the vendor that tried to accommodate me got rewarded. Works for me.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,298 Likes on 13,971 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Excellent explanation Randy (blacksedan87). I know I haven't found too many things that have gone down in price over the past few years.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:51 PM
dquagliaroli
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Interesting

Not to say any of the above comments are incorrect - BUT - raw products are lower than they have been in the past 3 years - Labor and productivity are higher resulting in lower labor cost - retail prices have decreased even when comparing apples to apples - the key in todays market is increasing top line sales while maintaining a fair profit margin in order to survive the shakeout. The supplier(s) that figure out how to offer the best VALUE to the masses will be the ones who emerge and own their markets. Unfortunately, the market we are dealing with is not HUGE which makes this much more difficult. SO - offer what you are willing to pay - if you are told no so be it.
True story - was in a mens shop in LA this week, customer came in looking for a leather blazer - was told there was one in the window and he responded that he had seen it and that is why he came in. Price was $3,000 but was on sale for 50% off. Customer responded that was more than he wanted to pay and asked if there were any for less $$. Was told about all the quality that went into this jacket, and responded but that is more than I want to spend. Well how much are you looking to spend - not more than $1000. They moved over to the other side of the store and continued to discuss - being intrigued by the event I moved closer and listened. Buyer was told that the price he stated was to low but they could sell it for $1200. Prospective buyer said thanks but no thanks - started to leave and was called back - bought the $3,000 jacket for $1,000 and left happy with a jacket that probably at wholesale was about $150 - $200. Being a country bumpkin I left with my left hand on my wallet making sure it was still there as I exited.
Now I'm not saying that any of our vendors can reduce their prices by 2/3's but we are the ones who fuel the prices in a relatively small market. Personally, I have limits that I will spend and try to stay within those limits, if it means finding a used item then that's what I do. Recently purchased head lights from Radio Flyer and paid a premium, and was happy to do so, I under stood that I was paying for research and talent so a premium should be part of the price for a great product. Also we are not driving Hugo's and shouldn't expect to be able to pay basement prices for for a quality automobile. Shop for quality that meets your pocket book and standard - buy from those who provide great products at a reasonable price along with OUTSTANDING SERVICE - THEN JUST ENJOY! OH!!!! - PERHAPS WE CAN FIGURE HOW TO GET SOME OF THAT OBAMA MONEY - OR EVEN MORE IMPORTANT HOW WE CAN KEEP MORE OF OUR OWN AND BE ABLE TO SPEND IT TO STIMULATE THE ECONOMY.

Last edited by dquagliaroli; 12-12-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:56 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Our products have not changed prices

Maybe I should start raising some

Peace
Chip

Old 12-12-2009, 05:23 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

>PERHAPS WE CAN FIGURE HOW TO GET SOME OF THAT OBAMA MONEY - OR EVEN MORE IMPORTANT HOW WE CAN KEEP MORE OF OUR OWN AND BE ABLE TO SPEND IT TO STIMULATE THE ECONOMY<

don't get me started

BTW, I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes here, it was meant to be in general. Vendors that are going to survive have to understand that there is a smaller group of buyers and that means it's a buyers market. I'm sure when the economy turns back around it will become a sellers market again. Just look at the prices of cars today
Old 12-12-2009, 11:38 PM
bkemp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=printmanjackson;1572409868]>PERHAPS WE CAN FIGURE HOW TO GET SOME OF THAT OBAMA MONEY - OR EVEN MORE IMPORTANT HOW WE CAN KEEP MORE OF OUR OWN AND BE ABLE TO SPEND IT TO STIMULATE THE ECONOMY<

Old 12-12-2009, 11:53 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Name us something that hasn't gone up lately!
Old 12-12-2009, 11:56 PM
HowlinC5
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To go along with what Randy stated about being a little more expensive but at least you get good service. There are 2 sides to offering value to a customer. Sure offering cheaper stuff is one side, but there is another side often overlooked. Offering your customers excellent service doesn't come cheap, so it is often incorporated into the prices and also small dealers don't have the volume to purchase things in bulk. But when you call a small place you are actually talking with someone that knows what they are talking about and often that person will remember you when you come back. That in itself is of great value to customers. So value doesn't always mean cheaper prices. JMO.

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To what's with C5/C6 parts vendors raising their prices lately?

Old 12-13-2009, 12:05 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Name us something that hasn't gone up lately!
My income....
Old 12-13-2009, 01:40 AM
PCK1221
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
My income....

True
Old 12-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

I can certainly speak for myself that my prices have stayed the same for several months. Even this month a couple of things were lowered in price because GM lowered the price. Since the economy explosion last year GM hasn't really raised their prices every couple of months like they normally do. They've done a good job at trying to get things under control.

I hate to go off topic, but I am not seeing the shopping stores around here diving into the discounts like they were last year.

Last year I went to Aeropostale and got my wife some shirts 2 for $14.50 or something like that and last night they were $28.50 each and 50% off, LOL.

Most of the stores I went to locally last night didn't have anything great. I even went to Macy's but some of the stuff didn't even have price tags on it and the wrong stuff was put into the sales racks and stuff. It was total crap.

We have a major outlet about 15 minutes away that just opened two years ago with Hilfiger, Coach, etc. I went to the Coach store, Aeropostale, etc, last night and no one was providing any sales at all.... crap.

Although, last year they did get deeper into discounts the weekend before Christmas, so I'll take a run at it again next weeked.

Oh yeah... even the Skechers store.. they normally offer buy one get one 50% off the second pair sale. This weekend was buy one get one 50% off only for the holidays! LOL. I can walk in there any day of the week any day of the month and get them for that price.

It was a disappointment to say the least!

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Quick Reply: what's with C5/C6 parts vendors raising their prices lately?