Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Was this DIY helpful?
Yes
100.00%
No
0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Z06 Brake Duct Templates *FREE*

Old 12-21-2009, 12:24 PM
IM QUIKR
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 rear Brake Duct Template * FREE *

I've had alot of questions about the brake duct install again, so I'll post my original template here for anyone who needs it. I had an extensive write up here on the forum in 2003, but all that is left is a cliff note version. If the template will not download, PM me your email and I will send them to you.

Caution: This is your car and you will make a mess of it if you don't check and re-check the fitment before you cut a hole in it. I am only giving you my experiences with this project in hopes you will have the same great results I had without any guidance. This is an exact template, so do not let your printer "scale to fit." go to FILE, PRINT and when the print dialog box pops up, choose NONE in the PAGE SCALING drop-down. Also make sure it does not auto rotate either. the image will extend beyond the printable edge and that's how it was designed to be. By reducing the image it will affect the fit.

Instructions for template: First, check that the template you printed is correct by measuring from the center of the match marks (center to center). It should be just a hair longer than 6 3/4". The distance between the furthest bolt holes will be 13 1/4". Line up the index match mark keys and tape both pages together(hold it up to the light). Cut out the center section, outer edge, bolt holes and then overlay it onto the actual plastic duct. If it fits, trace it over to poster board or the cardboard from the box they were shipped in. This is now your actual template. Check the fit again. Use the same template for both sides so that the position is symmetrical and consistent. Trace the template onto the taped up body panel. My ducts did not come with the nuts to install them with: They are 8mm (M5) and you can find the rubber-backed washers and nuts at Home Depot. You'll want the nuts with the plastic locking ring because you don't want these coming loose or to need to overtighten them.

**The distance from the outer plastic duct edge to the body seam-line (door/rocker edge and rocker top edge)is between 1/2"-5/8" as measured on a factory Z06. *Just to be perfectly clear here. Put the plastic duct into the template and trace the outer edge of the plastic duct onto the template (see second picture). This is the penciled line you will use to get the 5/8" distance to the panel's edge. NOT THE TEMPLATE EDGE! capiche! The template is bigger than the duct itself and should line up correctly on the edge. However, this will correct for any variations in the manufacture of the ducts. Note the second picture, my template was not all the way to the top edge. Once the hole is cut you may have to clean up the edges to get a snug fit. Test fit the studs on the template before you drill them into the car.

Just a couple of notes on cutting the holes: If you use a cutting disk, you will have dust everywhere and shorten your life by breathing in the dust. A RotoZip is impossile to control and you may ruin your rocker panel. I would recommend a jigsaw with a new "fine tooth" blade of 14 teeth/inch. Tape the car body with blue painters tape to keep the fiberglass from chipping and to protect the paint from the jigsaw shoe plate. Start by drilling a starter hole in the cut out area near the line so you can drop the blade in without damaging the body panel. If you are nervous, drill the hole in the center and work your way to the line with the jigsaw. Along the bottom edge you will bump into a steel frame rail a few inches from the very front (see 4th picture). just raise the blade until you cross over it. Go slow and let the blade cut without forcing it. Finally, finish up by using 320ish grit sandpaper, smooth all cut edges to stop the paint from peeling

Z06_brakeductTemplate1of2.pdf
Z06_brakeductTemplate2of_2.pdf

* Alternate template link

Feel free to donate to my Hawaii vacation fund for this valuable service. It's gotta at least be worth beer money.

current balance....$0

This is how it looks taped together

Template taped in place

Traced onto car

finished with the cutting

Success!

Last edited by IM QUIKR; 02-21-2014 at 12:32 PM. Reason: [URL=http://www.zshare.net/download/98943632dbec793b/]Z06_brakeductTemplate2of_2.pdf - 0.03MB[/URL]
Old 12-21-2009, 01:51 PM
jrose7004
CF Senior Member

Received 877 Likes on 762 Posts

Nice DIY. I put those on my coupe.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:00 PM
~Josh
CF Senior Member

Received 471 Likes on 343 Posts

I think they are mandatory on FRCs... but having the template and some visuals FREE is a great idea

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-21-2009, 02:01 PM
jrmotorsports55
CF Senior Member

Thanks for the write-up. Planning on installing these on my Pewter 99 Coupe.

Jason
Old 12-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Vetteman Jack
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,471 Likes on 3,838 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for posting that up. Nice of you to take the time to do this.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Indy
CF Senior Member

I installed a set on mine a year ago and they look great!! So for anyone who thinks about doing this, it is a great mod and pretty easy to do...just measure twice and cut once. Indy
Old 12-22-2009, 01:57 PM
madmatt9471
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 123 Likes on 114 Posts

Subscribing for use

Thanks,Matt
Old 12-22-2009, 02:17 PM
IRON MAIDEN
CF Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What about the duct? What did you use to make the cut? Anyone have the Factory Z06 ducts and Race Mesh Grilles? Is it an OK match? Or does Race Mesh make a grill for these too?
Old 12-22-2009, 02:26 PM
vette.mix
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by madmatt9471 View Post
Subscribing for use

Thanks,Matt
I have then, will install in the spring!
Old 12-22-2009, 02:48 PM
mtndv8
CF Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice of you to post for free...!!

Mele Kalikimaka!
Old 12-22-2009, 03:23 PM
IM QUIKR
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN View Post
What about the duct? What did you use to make the cut? Anyone have the Factory Z06 ducts and Race Mesh Grilles? Is it an OK match? Or does Race Mesh make a grill for these too?
The actual duct template I don't have. You really don't need it though. Before you remove the wheel well liner, mark some reference points from the fender onto the liner. Once you install the duct grills, hang the ducts and measure in from the fender and cut conservatively until you get it right. Some of the later cars had an imbossed outline on the wheel well for cutting out the duct opening. That's why there was no template. It was integrated into the part itself.

A word of warning on the duct. It needs to be inboard as far as possible to prevent rubbing by the wheel. Put the wheel on to make sure you have enough room for suspension travel.

If you want to know the truth, these rear ducts do nothing to cool the brakes. They are too far away and don't do what they are supposed to do. Besides that, the rear brakes rarely get hot enough to worry about. If I had to do again, I'd probably leave the wheel well intact and seal the duct on the inside, less a hole for water to drain out. IMHO

search out how racers plumb the ducts and you'll see why I say that. The duct is typically attached to the hub just millimeters from the center of the rotor.

These GM ducts are miles away and just fill the wheel well with undirected air. The rotors get no benefit. But it does look cool.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:11 PM
flynbyu2
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Wow, nice work. IMO, it takes cajones the size of bowling ***** to cut into your $50,000 car. Glad mine came with them from Chevy.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:36 PM
IRON MAIDEN
CF Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What do the grilles run? Maybe RaceMesh can make a screen for them so all my screens match. Iif function on these is a waste, I will just install the grilles and seal off the back of them so no water and crap collects in there.
Anyone see any problem with the back of these being capped off? Not sure if the wind not having anywhere to go will be an issue. Noise, whistling?????
Old 12-27-2009, 08:33 PM
c5BlackBeauty
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16

I just bought the screens and ducts and your post is timely and a great help. Many Thanks
Old 01-09-2010, 12:41 PM
SNOTRKT
CF Member

I just ordered the rear brake duct kit from Ecklers 5 minutes ago, I'm sure if the kit doesn't come with the tempates I'll be using yours. That Ecklers price of $339 for the kit is a heck of a deal. Because I read your thread I decided to do it,
Old 01-16-2010, 02:42 AM
nextime
CF Senior Member

C5's still cost $50,000? Guess I got a deal on my 2001 with 14k on it for $25,000 then!

Originally Posted by flynbyu2 View Post
Wow, nice work. IMO, it takes cajones the size of bowling ***** to cut into your $50,000 car. Glad mine came with them from Chevy.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:06 AM
nextime
CF Senior Member

You can get it cheaper than that from that GM parts guy here. I think I paid well under $200 cause I bought used ducts but new grills. Still buying from GM is still cheaper than Ecklers!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...rts-house.html

Z06 rear screens (scoops) – 159.76 (both scoops total)
On our website, use part numbers 10322761 and 10322762 under Chevrolet make.

Z06 rear brake ducts – 47.01 (both ducts total)
On our website, use part numbers 10425976 and 10425977 under Chevrolet make.

Originally Posted by SNOTRKT View Post
I just ordered the rear brake duct kit from Ecklers 5 minutes ago, I'm sure if the kit doesn't come with the tempates I'll be using yours. That Ecklers price of $339 for the kit is a heck of a deal. Because I read your thread I decided to do it,
Old 01-16-2010, 07:37 AM
SNOTRKT
CF Member

I'll remember that for my next C5 purchase, ordered the kit a week ago from Ecklers. Around here the dealership wanted close to $500 for all the parts so thats part to do with why I purchased it from Ecklers.

Originally Posted by nextime View Post
You can get it cheaper than that from that GM parts guy here. I think I paid well under $200 cause I bought used ducts but new grills. Still buying from GM is still cheaper than Ecklers!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...rts-house.html

Z06 rear screens (scoops) – 159.76 (both scoops total)
On our website, use part numbers 10322761 and 10322762 under Chevrolet make.

Z06 rear brake ducts – 47.01 (both ducts total)
On our website, use part numbers 10425976 and 10425977 under Chevrolet make.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:04 PM
danielgreig

Did that mod for a friend! Turned out nice!
Old 04-12-2010, 12:26 PM
marcvobx
CF Senior Member

I want to install these on my Vette so badly, but I am horrified to try! I think I would throw Up as soon as I began cutting into my car!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z06 Brake Duct Templates *FREE*

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: