Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic Ride Shock Blocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 10:48 AM
dooscoop32
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, it does happen a lot. I ordered and bought my 2004 convertible new. We took delivery on a Friday evening and drove the car home with great pride. There is a bridge on the way home which has a sizeable dip before and after it. When we hit those dips, it felt like a car with no suspension system at all. I was very disappointed. The next day, I looked under the car to see if the shock stuffers had been removed. And, voila!! Four shock stuffers still attached to the shock absorbers. I pulled each one out. As we took it out for another drive, we went back over the same bridge and it was very comfortable.
So I drove to the dealer where we got the car to check out the other Corvettes with the F55 option they had in stock. They had three or four of them and they all still had the shock stuffers in place. I found my salesman and told him about my car and the ones on the lot. He had no idea what I was talking about. I showed them to him and advised him the service department needed to remove those. I hope they did.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:56 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by dooscoop32
Yes, it does happen a lot. I ordered and bought my 2004 convertible new. We took delivery on a Friday evening and drove the car home with great pride. There is a bridge on the way home which has a sizeable dip before and after it. When we hit those dips, it felt like a car with no suspension system at all. I was very disappointed. The next day, I looked under the car to see if the shock stuffers had been removed. And, voila!! Four shock stuffers still attached to the shock absorbers. I pulled each one out. As we took it out for another drive, we went back over the same bridge and it was very comfortable.
So I drove to the dealer where we got the car to check out the other Corvettes with the F55 option they had in stock. They had three or four of them and they all still had the shock stuffers in place. I found my salesman and told him about my car and the ones on the lot. He had no idea what I was talking about. I showed them to him and advised him the service department needed to remove those. I hope they did.
Interesting trivia: If you look back at post #28, you posted the same thing in this same thread three years ago. It's one of those threads that keeps on giving. I'll bet there are hundreds still out there that don't know anything about the shipping situation.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 03-03-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by ghallam
Thanks for the info. I have a 2003 with 13,000 miles, I purchased in June 2009. I jacked it up Saturday morning, and sure enough I found a yellow tab connected to a hard plastic bushing on all four shocks. Question now does anybody know if 13,000 miles with this still in the shock could cause any damage?
I think you'll find the ride much improved and from my experience I can't see any issues by them being left in.
I bought my '03 AE with 24,000 miles and found the rear ones were still in place. That's right just the rear ones! Road better than my '01 once I pulled the stuffers, no problems switching to sport mode. Ride has been fine ever since.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:17 PM
TB1300
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought my 2004 convertible in December, with about 55,000 miles on it. I drove it home, about 200 miles on the freeway, and it has been parked ever since waiting for spring.

On the ride home, the suspension frequently bottomed out on even relatively mild freeway bumps. I thought it odd, but I had never been in a Corvette before, so I assumed that was just how it was supposed to be.

After reading through this thread, I checked out the rear shock absorbers, and both of them have a plastic yellow tab dangling out of the boot. When it warms up a little, I'll jack up the car, remove the rear plastic stops, and check if the stops are in the front shock absorbers, as well.

I am looking forward to spring when I can find out how this car is designed to ride.

My thanks to the forum. I am not sure how, or even if, I ever would have found this out if not for this type of forum.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:50 PM
3318C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This has to be one of GM's biggest FAILS......I had mine for 6 to 7 months back in 03 before I found the forum & the good folks in here!!!

Just like many, this was my first vette, so I did not know any better.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:46 PM
dooscoop32
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3318C5
This has to be one of GM's biggest FAILS......I had mine for 6 to 7 months back in 03 before I found the forum & the good folks in here!!!

Just like many, this was my first vette, so I did not know any better.
I don't look at this as a failure for GM. They teach their technicians at GM training schools about these shocks and GM puts a label in each car equipped with Mag Ride informing the dealer to remove the stuffers. And the clean-up shop is usually responsible for removing them. But they HAVE to read the label to know that.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:48 PM
TB1300
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Today it was warm enough to pull the shock stuffers. My car had the stuffers in the two rear shock absorbers, but they had been removed from the front shock absorbers. Another poster reported he had the same thing on his car.

After being pounded for 55,000 miles, the little plastic stuffers hardly showed any sign of wear. That is a surprising amount of toughness for something that was only designed for use during shipping to the dealership. I hope the rest of the suspension is as tough as the little temporary plastic shock stuffers.

Now I am looking forward to taking the car for a drive to see how the suspension feels without the stuffers. It will probably be at least a few more weeks before that happens.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:55 AM
Pscan
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16 years

After 16 years and 125000 mile AND ASKING TWO DEALERS they are still there[/QUOTE]
Old 11-20-2019, 11:03 PM
mdimascio
8th Gear

I have an ‘03 I bought new, my first and only corvette I’ve ever owned. 16 friggin’ years and 50,000 miles later I come across these articles about the stuffers being left in. I think to myself “Penske Chevrolet of Indianapolis sells thousands upon thousands of Corvettes. They would never forget to pull these stuffers out.” Plus, I complained about the ride not changing between Sport and Tour and asked them to run a diagnostic on the MSR way back around 2004. The idiot (apparently) told me there’s no diagnostic to run, they just work. I should not have accepted that. Today I put my Vette into my garage for the winter as I always do every November. This time I lifted the front end and look at the shocks. Behold! Those yellow plastic tabs are plain as day staring back at me! SIXTEEN YEARS OF NO MAGNETIC SELECTIVE RIDE, AND HAMMERING BANGS WHEN I HIT BUMPS IN THE ROAD! I have to laugh though I want to cry. At least now I am free of that harsh ride, and ready to find out how my Corvette really should feel. Thank you, Corvette Forum!!!

Last edited by mdimascio; 11-20-2019 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:09 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

It will be a night and day difference for you. Congrats on finding them with some CF help. Now you are free
Old 11-20-2019, 11:12 PM
mdimascio
8th Gear

They put new equipment into their car, wrote up special instructions and training for it, but didn’t sufficiently deal with the human element that exists at every single dealership. Rolling out new tech requires a certain amount of idiot-proofing. GM did fail at that, the proof is in the outcome.

Last edited by mdimascio; 11-20-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:14 PM
mdimascio
8th Gear

Indeed!
Old 11-20-2019, 11:50 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,085 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by mdimascio
I have an ‘03 I bought new, my first and only corvette I’ve ever owned. 16 friggin’ years and 50,000 miles later I come across these articles about the stuffers being left in. I think to myself “Penske Chevrolet of Indianapolis sells thousands upon thousands of Corvettes. They would never forget to pull these stuffers out.” Plus, I complained about the ride not changing between Sport and Tour and asked them to run a diagnostic on the MSR way back around 2004. The idiot (apparently) told me there’s no diagnostic to run, they just work. I should not have accepted that. Today I put my Vette into my garage for the winter as I always do every November. This time I lifted the front end and look at the shocks. Behold! Those yellow plastic tabs are plain as day staring back at me! SIXTEEN YEARS OF NO MAGNETIC SELECTIVE RIDE, AND HAMMERING BANGS WHEN I HIT BUMPS IN THE ROAD! I have to laugh though I want to cry. At least now I am free of that harsh ride, and ready to find out how my Corvette really should feel. Thank you, Corvette Forum!!!
Good Lord, how sad is that? smh
Old 11-21-2019, 12:02 AM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,930 Likes on 2,015 Posts
2021 Corvette of the Year - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by mdimascio
Holy Cow! Another example of why I try to do everything I can to service my car myself!

Last edited by lewislgZ06; 11-21-2019 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:17 PM
Notover
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 110 Posts

I just experienced the same thing on an 03 with 71,000 miles on it. They were never removed during all that time. Thanks to this forum I'm now educated! (Well, somewhat anyway)...

Wade
Old 11-24-2019, 07:04 PM
dooscoop32
Burning Brakes

Here we are almost to 2020 and this is still a problem that should not exist!! It is ridiculous that we still have cars out there with the stuffers still in place.

Last edited by dooscoop32; 11-24-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:34 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by dooscoop32
Here we are almost to 2020 and this is still a problem that should not exist!! It is ridiculous that we still have cars out there with the stuffers still in place.
I couldn’t agree more, such a shame that soo many GM dealerships didn’t remove these.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:16 AM
Ryque
Intermediate

I've had my '03 for a few months now and 90k on odometer. there is no noticeable difference in ride by changing the selector , which had led me to this thread. i'm off the next two days and will see if this is the problem. thanks for the information everyone!

Quick Reply: Magnetic Ride Shock Blocks