Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REAL custom colored gauge faces that look great!

Old 01-26-2010, 12:19 PM
MATT-X
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JW@JWMotoring.com
You can order them without windows at all for $8 more through me (the manufacturer does this). If you have a warning lamp illuminated you won't see it.
SWEET! I PERSONALLY DONT CARE FOR THE WARNINGS ANYWAYS AND SINCE I HAVE HUD I CAN SEE THEM THERE IF NEED BE. YOU'LL BE HEARING FROM ME ON THE 1ST
Old 01-26-2010, 12:43 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default ok my turn to chime in

Just FYI: yes everything you have read is dead on the money. I am the one that handles the customization of the speedhut faces that you order through JWmotoring. If you find that you want to "bump it up a notch" over the speedhut ones, you can contact me via PM and I can give you an estimate. In order to get these customized like the pictures in this thread show, you need to order a set of the EL Faces & the inverter from JWmotoring. Once you have them if your not happy for any reason & wish to have me customized them I can do that. Generally speaking I do most customizations for $100 a full set (unless extra work is needed). This price includes upgrading the faces to a new set of faces and whatever graphics you need done to them. The results are improved color accuracy (especially the blue and red colors that light up), and pretty much any graphic layout you can think of (within reason). I provide computer jpeg proofs first to you to sign off on that clearly show what they will look like during the day time and at night. I have over a year of experience in getting these things down to a science with a lot of help from Tim (TStar) and JW from the forum just to name a few. It took a lot of blood sweat and tears to get these into production from Speedhut and we all greatly appreciate that! I just picked up where Speedhut left off, cause Iam super picky on how things look when it comes to my vette. PM me for anything at all in reference to the customization of these as Iam not a supporting vendor on here and want to be fair to the forum rules and to those supporting vendors that pay a lot of money to have that status.

Any questions feel free to PM me. As socom09226 (Mike) pointed out, I do produce these things 1 off & 1 at a time by hand, so they do take some time to make. I am currently producing a set right now for a friend of T-star and even doing the custom installation for him.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 01-26-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:58 AM
socom09226
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well here it is with the warning lights showing through. Not exactly the best representation of how they look as the clarity is not the same as how I see them when I drive but it gives you a good idea. The light transmission is acceptable to me, some may not like it though. You decide I suppose.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 810 Likes on 430 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

That doesn't look bad at all.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:26 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Fastbird
That doesn't look bad at all.
I have to agree with Fastbird! Not bad at all Mike. Even better then what I have on my faces as mine were one of the first prototype models done and yours are the most current up-to-date versions. Thanks for the picture!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:44 PM
sbadd99
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 46 Posts

I know this is a old thread but does anyone do these anymore, appears Speedhut & JW don't.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:42 AM
j99vette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sbadd99
I know this is a old thread but does anyone do these anymore, appears Speedhut & JW don't.
Im interested also.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:21 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by j99vette
Im interested also.
PM sent
Old 04-02-2018, 11:29 AM
2k2wranglerx
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 229 Posts

so this is a REALLY old thread, but i wanted to see if anyone knew of any gauges still available for the C5. I can't seem to find any. I wondered if they were out of production.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:48 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi. I was the guy that use to make and produce these. Unfortunately the supplier of the materials that was selling the bases and inverters (Speedhut) trashed all his remaining base sets (about 25 of them). He never notified me and when I tried to order additional sets informed me he will not be supplying these any longer. I tried to contact the manufacturer directly that was supplying them to him and they either have no desire to make these any longer as they will not answer any phone calls or emails. I tried diligently to find another supplier and contacted half a dozen places in china all who declined the job. Its been about 5 years now since I did my last set. There are some other rather cheesy options on ebay from time to time. The faces I have seen there have circles around where the needles go and are not customizable. I wish I had better news but the fact that I can no longer get supplies coupled with the labor involved made these more expensive then what most wanted to pay for a set of custom gauges for the C5.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 04-02-2018 at 11:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
2k2wranglerx (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 11:55 AM
2k2wranglerx
Drifting

Received 415 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremeVette
Hi. I was the guy that use to make and produce these. Unfortunately the supplier of the materials that was selling the bases and inverters trashed all his remaining sets. He never notified me and when I tried to order additional sets informed me he will not be supplying these any longer. I tried to contact the manufacturer directly that was supplying them to him and they either have no desire to make these any longer as they will not answer any phone calls or emails. I tried diligently to find another supplier and contacted half a dozen places in china all who declined the job. Its been about 5 years now since I did my last set. There are some other rather cheesy options on ebay from time to time. The faces I have seen there have circles around where the needles go and are not customizable. I wish I had better news but the fact that I can no longer get supplies coupled with the labor involved made these more expensive then what most wanted to pay for a set of custom gauges for the C5.
i appreciate it.

my buddy azzy (ADW) does ones for jeeps. and ya sometimes getting the gauge face material is pretty expensive. I appreciate it man. I also think the ones on ebay look really cheesy.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:00 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
i appreciate it.

my buddy azzy (ADW) does ones for jeeps. and ya sometimes getting the gauge face material is pretty expensive. I appreciate it man. I also think the ones on ebay look really cheesy.
No problem and yeah, since the C5 uses blacklight bulbs and glow in the dark paint on the stock faces, it makes it a challenge for replacements. You need to address the blacklights so that they do not interact with the new faces, in addition, the needles are liquid filled and any attempt to pop them off or alter them with destroy the gauges from working correctly. So you had to painstakingly carefully place the new faces up and around the needles carefully not moving them, while aligning the faces into place and then removing the 2 way tape from behind them. It was like playing operation.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:13 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,865 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Damn, that sucks. I've been looking lately for some also. Guess I'll just be happy with what they are. Thanks the update.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:36 AM
04zjimc
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 98 Posts

[QUOTE=mstromquist;1596914943]Damn, that sucks. I've been looking lately for some also. Guess I'll just be happy with what they are. Thanks the update.[/Quote don't they still make these for the c6 in different colors? Not sure why they wouldn't make them for the c5...

Last edited by 04zjimc; 04-04-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:58 AM
04zjimc
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 98 Posts
Default RIP designs

Actually rpi designs sell these in all different colors for the c6...how involved would it be to make them for the c5? I could sure use a set of red face gauges!!

Last edited by 04zjimc; 04-04-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:26 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 04zjimc
Actually rpi designs sell these in all different colors for the c6...how involved would it be to make them for the c5? I could sure use a set of red face gauges!!
Totally different. The C6 uses traditional lighting in the form of LEDs. The C5 is the only car Iam aware of that went for the "outside the box" unconventional method using glow in the dark paint on the faces and the needles and then has a high voltage blacklight section to illuminate them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: REAL custom colored gauge faces that look great!