Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

TIGERSHARK BUMPER WITH OEM REVERSE LIGHTS AND LICENSE PLATE LOCATION

-Alex
Old 02-16-2010, 10:32 AM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I like the idea of a SW rear end with a diffuser...
I think the bottom of the C5 looks unfinished... Lets enclose the tailpipes with a shroud like they do on the supercars. (2 tip for me please)

This on a SW rear would be PERFECT
Old 02-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Humy
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 02-16-2010, 03:54 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexSmith
TIGERSHARK BUMPER WITH OEM REVERSE LIGHTS AND LICENSE PLATE LOCATION

-Alex
Sounds good to me.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:12 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default well my .02

I would say after reviewing all the posts and knowing what the OP (creator of the bumper)
is trying to accomplish, I think that the majority here is going to rule and I would definitely
be interested if it was made like what I mention below.

1.) Use the stock C5 bumper format (no diffuser or moving of reverse lights) OR
Use the ZR1 version of C6 you have pictured here
(by any chance do ya have a straight on shot from the back?

2.) Added in spoiler to the bumper that is in between the height of the Specter Werks and
the Tigershark. We all seem to agree, Specter's could of been higher and the Tigershark's
could of been a little lower. So that is the proper height where this one should be.

3.) Made of a quality flexible urethane just like stock would be great or something that is
lighter then fiberglass yet cost effective.
The biggest complaints noted for Specters version is that:
A.) It is heavier then stock because of the fiberglass content
B.) It has been known to "not fit" correctly on some cars. The quality control from one to
the other has been brought up more then a few times. This could be because the fiberglass
has no forgiving play in it the way flexible urethane does.
C.) Cost!!!! This has got to be brought down to the $500-$600 mark like most custom bumpers
are for the F-body's. The increased price tag with the corvette tax is a big issue with a lot of guys
especially after you factor in having to pay your body shop an additional $500+ to install and
paint it. Plus you have a couple hundred to deal with for shipping as well...it all add's up quickly!

I would say to market it at like $800 shipped anywhere in the continental US and have superior
fit/quality and you would have a definite winner!

Jeff

Last edited by XtremeVette; 02-16-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Excessive ZO6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make it with a molded-in spoiler that is in between the size of the SW and the TigerShark spoilers. Also since some people are on the fence about the lower diffuser maybe you could make a diffuser that can be added on to the bumper if the customer chooses. It would obviously have to look seamless and not like a cheap stick on piece but that should be easy since you are making the bumper to begin with and you will have all the dimensions already. This way it could keep the price lower for most people and if they want to add the diffuser later down the road they would be able to. You could even offer a cheaper paint-able type and a more expensive carbon fiber diffuser that way.

I like the looks of your bumper you just made with the reverse lights moved to the diffuser and the license plate area all cleaned up. That is sharp.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:31 PM
corvetteracer22
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02MillenniumVette
I posted these in the thread created several months ago when you wanted to do a diffuser for a C5. Id love to see a TS rear bumper with a diffuser built into it. These are obviously photochopped but the real thing would look bad @$$.

I dont understand how breathless performance couldnt make a diffuser like that on a C5! The one they have now for a C5....
Old 02-16-2010, 05:35 PM
The Dark Knight
Instructor

Originally Posted by ICULUKN-C5
I like the idea of a SW rear end with a diffuser...
I think the bottom of the C5 looks unfinished... Lets enclose the tailpipes with a shroud like they do on the supercars. (2 tip for me please)

This on a SW rear would be PERFECT
Wow! That's Hot! Maybe add some rear screen vents and bring the diffuser up in the middle a bit.

Last edited by The Dark Knight; 02-16-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:12 PM
The Dark Knight
Instructor

Originally Posted by The Dark Knight
Wow! That's Hot! Maybe add some rear screen vents and bring the diffuser up in the middle a bit.
Just a quick and dirty photoshopin'. Let's get aggressive with these ideas!

Last edited by The Dark Knight; 02-16-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:06 PM
chrisj
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

If you do a diffuser, I think the comment made earlier is paramount. Must be able to use some of the exhaust systems already on the market.

I'd love a diffuser - if done correctly. My only issue is that my SW piece is being made this week and I'm already locked in. It would have to be an amazing piece to get me to change later.

chris
Old 02-16-2010, 10:29 PM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by chrisj
If you do a diffuser, I think the comment made earlier is paramount. Must be able to use some of the exhaust systems already on the market.

I'd love a diffuser - if done correctly. My only issue is that my SW piece is being made this week and I'm already locked in. It would have to be an amazing piece to get me to change later.

chris

Just seems to me that most folks on the forum want something a bit different. We see A LOT of certain things on the forum ie:CCW's... We don't usually see quite the concentration where we all live, no?. I am just saying that if a fella like Pistol Pete is going to make us some NEW custom parts for the C5.. Why make something that's barely noticeably different than the already over priced options we have out there?

The guy gives us options at a silly low price comparatively... For what some of you spent on your spectre werkes rear GP or not. You could get Pete's new rear with tastefully done diffuser and molded in wing, have your tips modded to fit, go on a couple dates and buy a new pair of Nike air 360's for the same amount if you wanted...
Old 02-17-2010, 12:12 AM
chrisj
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by tbrent

Just seems to me that most folks on the forum want something a bit different. We see A LOT of certain things on the forum ie:CCW's... We don't usually see quite the concentration where we all live, no?. I am just saying that if a fella like Pistol Pete is going to make us some NEW custom parts for the C5.. Why make something that's barely noticeably different than the already over priced options we have out there?

The guy gives us options at a silly low price comparatively... For what some of you spent on your spectre werkes rear GP or not. You could get Pete's new rear with tastefully done diffuser and molded in wing, have your tips modded to fit, go on a couple dates and buy a new pair of Nike air 360's for the same amount if you wanted...
Good points. Is it really that cheap to modify an exhaust? If simply modifying the exhausts will work, then that would be fine. I thought some of the C6 ones required custom exhausts. Must be mistaken.

And yeah, the SW wasn't cheap. But I've loved it for almost 10 years. I waited patiently for pete's last round of body mods, but they didn't fit my taste quite right. So the car is now in the body shop getting some other parts installed.

chris
Old 02-17-2010, 12:59 AM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by chrisj
Good points. Is it really that cheap to modify an exhaust? If simply modifying the exhausts will work, then that would be fine. I thought some of the C6 ones required custom exhausts. Must be mistaken.

And yeah, the SW wasn't cheap. But I've loved it for almost 10 years. I waited patiently for pete's last round of body mods, but they didn't fit my taste quite right. So the car is now in the body shop getting some other parts installed.

chris

Right on Chris! I can't wait to see it done. Yeah you should be able to get some custom bends and tip placement for pretty cheap. As with anything though. You pull up in the vette and you better know someone there Otherwise it prolly could get costly.

I think if it's a bit different and more up to date with what is being offered on more exotic cars these days it might grow on those that aren't so sure. Specially when they see how hot a more finished rear end could look on these girls

Taryn
Old 02-17-2010, 03:50 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Thanks guys. Lol, I know most like to stay a bit traditional and that's cool, personally I like to be different. We cant take our Z out now without getting people to stare and ask questions It's not for eevryone though just like this wont be and I cant please everyone, lol at least not all at once.

I think a tastefull diffuser molded in would look sweet. Keep the OEM rear, reverse lights, and plate location and just add a wing and get the diffuser all incorporated. I could probably get it made where the diffuser would not stick out, or if it did it wouldn't be much. I like the idea of using the C6 diffuser and building off of that, we could extend the fins a bit more and try to make it where we could accomodate 2 and 4 tips (even if it meant have the center section closed and you could cut it out to fit your exhaust). I just need to know what everyone wants.

Let's try to eliminate what we dont want and we can go from there. I'd like to get started asap. Thanks guys.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:32 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not a fan of defusers that don't work with the stock exhaust. I for one love the Ti exhaust on the Z06 and won't be getting rid of it.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:41 PM
Oaf02Z
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Thanks guys. Lol, I know most like to stay a bit traditional and that's cool, personally I like to be different. We cant take our Z out now without getting people to stare and ask questions It's not for eevryone though just like this wont be and I cant please everyone, lol at least not all at once.

I think a tastefull diffuser molded in would look sweet. Keep the OEM rear, reverse lights, and plate location and just add a wing and get the diffuser all incorporated. I could probably get it made where the diffuser would not stick out, or if it did it wouldn't be much. I like the idea of using the C6 diffuser and building off of that, we could extend the fins a bit more and try to make it where we could accomodate 2 and 4 tips (even if it meant have the center section closed and you could cut it out to fit your exhaust). I just need to know what everyone wants.

Let's try to eliminate what we dont want and we can go from there. I'd like to get started asap. Thanks guys.

Perfect! i think what you said would be money! Cant wait to see what you do. Im gonna start saving now!
Old 02-17-2010, 04:53 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
You think a diffuser like this one looks ricer?

Doesnt Caravaggio make a couple wings? Correct me if im wrong. You talking about the one that wraps around the sides (so to speak)
Sorry, but yes. If it was flush with the fascia, that'd be an improvement, but I'd rather not have a bottom diffuser. It's so derivative of Euro and Asian wannabes, that I always associate with rice. I don't like the Carravaggio/ACI type that much either. Even molded in, it'll look like an add-on. The SW is my favorite stylewise, but it could use another 1/2-1" more lip, IMO. Please, please, no C6 styling cues.

Get notified of new replies

To New rear bumper...should we make it?

Old 02-17-2010, 05:20 PM
black98c5
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
Sorry, but yes. If it was flush with the fascia, that'd be an improvement, but I'd rather not have a bottom diffuser. It's so derivative of Euro and Asian wannabes, that I always associate with rice. I don't like the Carravaggio/ACI type that much either. Even molded in, it'll look like an add-on. The SW is my favorite stylewise, but it could use another 1/2-1" more lip, IMO. Please, please, no C6 styling cues.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:33 PM
MDR1970
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kingrobby25
I really like the idea of a diffuser, but NOT any of the current ones being made right now. It would have to seamlessly mold into the current rear bumper cover, without having the look of being stuck onto a stock bumper.
I agree 100%. Make a stock appearing bumper with a nice CF diffuser and i would order as soon as you have it ready! There seems to be a lot of interest in this.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:40 PM
TNTC5
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

me too!!!!

Quick Reply: New rear bumper...should we make it?