Phillip50
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
C5 of the Month 7/13
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Blow Torch
So in summary:
Is there ANY remaining fitment issues with either TPE fenders or the L5's for COUPES?? I am going to buy a set, and would like to simply have them painted and then bolt them on. Do NOT want to leave my car at a body shop

Also, does anyone have these fenders and 305 tires?
I have stayed out of the "fit" debates to this point as I really don't think there is a wrong or right answer here. John.c.bourg's post below really says it all.

I have half of a Vette exterior in my garage. Rear facia, rear quarter panels, and hood. Plus I've also added a splitter and rear brake ducts. Other than the splitter, none of the mods went on without some modification to the car or adjustments to the new pieces. These are aftermarket products-- you need to anticipate fitment issues. That said, reoccuring major fitment issues are not acceptable. The decision point is the probablity and degree of fitment issues.

Originally Posted by johncbourg
First off you guys have to realize that your dealing with aftermarket panels. Its not going to be a GM quality product out of the box, so if that is what your expecting..save your money.

They can be made perfect by a good shop. Hell my tiger shark front end needed some craftmanship done to it to make it perfect.

L5, TPE and yes Caravaggio is not going to be sooo perfect that all you do it bolt it and paint it.

If TPE is molding these panels then you guys can blame them, but there NOT! So if you get one that isnt what you expect, they will make it right.

Perfection costs money, and none of these shops that make after market panels have the engineering resources and quality control that GM has.

I know paying 4-500 bucks a side it should be perfect, but the cost is what it is.

my .02

Last edited by Phillip50; 11-20-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:49 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

why would you want such a narrow tire? the whole point of the extra width of the flares is to stuff some huge tires back there.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:04 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmvette
why would you want such a narrow tire? the whole point of the extra width of the flares is to stuff some huge tires back there.
uuuhhh, because I just purchased a brand new set (less than 200 miles) of Nitto 555RIIs, and I intend on running them until they"re worn out
After that I would get something wider (need more traction anyway) but I really don't want to wait until the tires are done to get the fenders
Old 11-21-2010, 12:09 AM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

My car is a coupe and TPE stopped shipment of my fenders so they could inspect them before getting shipped to me. I'll let you know about fitment when they come in.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:12 AM
BT-01-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

First off you guys have to realize that your dealing with aftermarket panels. Its not going to be a GM quality product out of the box, so if that is what your expecting..save your money.

They can be made perfect by a good shop. Hell my tiger shark front end needed some craftmanship done to it to make it perfect.

L5, TPE and yes Caravaggio is not going to be sooo perfect that all you do it bolt it and paint it.

If TPE is molding these panels then you guys can blame them, but there NOT! So if you get one that isnt what you expect, they will make it right.

Perfection costs money, and none of these shops that make after market panels have the engineering resources and quality control that GM has.

I know paying 4-500 bucks a side it should be perfect, but the cost is what it is.

my .02

This is what I mentioned on my post on page 8. The bottom line is that even though my particular scenario was a bit on the extreme side of the fitting issues, nothing is more important than how TPE handled it. I judge a company on how well they handle a problem. TPE jumped in and handled mine once they realized there was a communication problem and took care of the repair cost. YOU CAN'T ASK FOR MORE! If we lived in a perfect world then I would demand perfection but only if I could give it and since I can't I don't. Autobuffs did the work and a great job they did (it's a shame they are not around any more) but TPE made it right.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ICULUKN-C5
My car is a coupe and TPE stopped shipment of my fenders so they could inspect them before getting shipped to me. I'll let you know about fitment when they come in.
Thanks

Would like to know where they are now in regards to fitment

"First off you guys have to realize that your dealing with aftermarket panels. Its not going to be a GM quality product out of the box, so if that is what your expecting..save your money"

Well, My specter Werkes bumper, API front spoiler and my hood ALL fit perfectly with no "shop work" THAT'S what I'm looking for in a fender
Old 11-21-2010, 05:25 PM
johncbourg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

uuuhhh, because I just purchased a brand new set (less than 200 miles) of Nitto 555RIIs, and I intend on running them until they"re worn out
After that I would get something wider (need more traction anyway) but I really don't want to wait until the tires are done to get the fenders
So in summary:
Is there ANY remaining fitment issues with either TPE fenders or the L5's for COUPES?? I am going to buy a set, and would like to simply have them painted and then bolt them on. Do NOT want to leave my car at a body shop

If your looking for bolt it and paint it, forget it.

Also if your gonna run 305, and not upgrade to a 12.5 or 13 inch wheel it will not look good.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Venomous
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your looking for bolt it and paint it, forget it.

Also if your gonna run 305, and not upgrade to a 12.5 or 13 inch wheel it will not look good.
Nahh, but you SHOULD paint them first, then put them on. NOt the opposite. ANY AFTERMARKET PART should be test fit prior to painting! If there are any modifications/trimming up of the parts, do so, then retest fitment. THEN PAINT!
And no it won't look bad at all with 10" wheels and 305s as long as they are spaced accordingly, but the obvious reason for the fenders is to run a 335/345 and 12"-13" wheels!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:00 PM
FRED HAMBLE
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 80 Posts

Jennifer

anything to report from your trip to the coast??

Fred
Old 11-28-2010, 06:19 PM
FRED HAMBLE
Melting Slicks

bump for an update on fit issue
Old 11-28-2010, 06:30 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

My fenders are supposed to ship on Monday. I will post pics of what I get.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:37 PM
FRED HAMBLE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ICULUKN-C5
My fenders are supposed to ship on Monday. I will post pics of what I get.
Looking forward to seeing them
Old 11-29-2010, 10:09 PM
melvingregory
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, finished the show season this year this past weekend, so tonight I started installing my L5's. First fitting not bad, got some gaps to work on, but I have all of December and part of January before starting the show season again.

Last edited by melvingregory; 11-29-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:19 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by melvingregory
Well, finished the show season this year this past weekend, so tonight I started installing my L5's. First fitting not bad, got some gaps to work on, but I have all of December and part of January before starting the show season again.
Are you doing all the work yourself? Just curious at the level of difficulty.
Thanks.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:30 PM
melvingregory
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STALION
Are you doing all the work yourself? Just curious at the level of difficulty.
Thanks.
Yeah, I have a real job during the weekdays, and this is something to do in the winter months. It wouldn't pay to hire me by the hour Level of difficulty is not that bad... the rear fenders came off in about an hour & half and I bolted up the new ones for the first fit. Body lines are the slowest point for me. I tend to make them better than the factory does, and that's not that hard to do. the L5's are not a bad fit and shouldn't take much work. The fixed headlights I did took forever to get in decent shape. The shrouds I got from RadioFlyer were horriable, but I used them.

Painting I will do in the garage also. I've done the front and doors already.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:31 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah, I have a real job during the weekdays, and this is something to do in the winter months. It wouldn't pay to hire me by the hour Level of difficulty is not that bad... the rear fenders came off in about an hour & half and I bolted up the new ones for the first fit. Body lines are the slowest point for me. I tend to make them better than the factory does, and that's not that hard to do. the L5's are not a bad fit and shouldn't take much work. The fixed headlights I did took forever to get in decent shape. The shrouds I got from RadioFlyer were horriable, but I used them.

better than a factory!!!! lol how??

and for an average Joe laying Glass is ranked very "high difficulty" lol
Old 11-30-2010, 05:16 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

I have my C5 currently on sale, but come spring if it doesn't sell, I'll will be attempting this as well. Other then fitment, do the L5's require bondo for any flat spots?

When your done with the paint can you post up pics? Just want to see your finished product!

Cheers.

Get notified of new replies

To Which One, L5 Flare or TPE T2 Flare or ACP

Old 11-30-2010, 01:21 PM
cmb396
Le Mans Master

Received 333 Likes on 140 Posts
CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran

I just got my L5's today, haven't even opened the box yet tho. I think I will bolt them up myself, to see how they look then take them to my painter, but I'll get his opinion on that first.

As for the wheels, obviously, ambitions vary, but most do it to run a 345 rear, but I have seen L5's with 305 rears on 11" wheels with a 2" spacer. Overall look is still the same, and the tire/wheel tucks nicely in the fender, but you do have a the look of the spacer. Also, I'm not sure how safe a spacer would be on a high horsepower car, therefor, I'd be afraid to "drive" the car excessively.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:13 PM
BT-01-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cmb396
I Also, I'm not sure how safe a spacer would be on a high horsepower car, therefor, I'd be afraid to "drive" the car excessively.
I looked at the road racing section and many racers said they use spacers and adapters without any issues. I felt the same way you do so I said the hell with it and had the proper rims made. Why take the chance defects do happen. Nothing replaces the look of big meat

Old 11-30-2010, 09:38 PM
FRED HAMBLE
Melting Slicks

well, finished the show season this year this past weekend, so tonight i started installing my l5's. First fitting not bad, got some gaps to work on, but i have all of december and part of january before starting the show season again.

why the ls5??

Quick Reply: Which One, L5 Flare or TPE T2 Flare or ACP