Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nxt step too loud !!!! How about silencers??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:41 PM
brian vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nxt step too loud !!!! How about silencers??

Giving me a friking headache. Anybody tried the muffer silencers
http://cmc.speeddirect.com/itemdesc....3D122R&eq=&Tp= I am thinking about inserting them into the H pipe right before the NXT Step catbacks. I believe that is a 2.5 inch OD pipe or is it 3 inch. Anyone know??? What do you guys think???

Brian
Old 03-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I have read here that those do work. I thought about a set for my Stingers when I ran those but was told by the company they wouldn't fit. I think one member did get them to fit his Stingers. The NXT's are very close to the shape of Stingers so they might fit. I would give it a try. I'm sure they'd be willing to let you. Your exhaust is 2.5", btw.

Curious, I put a set of NXT's on the wife's A4 with intake and AR headers and we love it. What setup do you have that makes it intolerable?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:09 PM
molten vett
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brian vette
Giving me a friking headache. Anybody tried the muffer silencers
http://cmc.speeddirect.com/itemdesc....3D122R&eq=&Tp= I am thinking about inserting them into the H pipe right before the NXT Step catbacks. I believe that is a 2.5 inch OD pipe or is it 3 inch. Anyone know??? What do you guys think???

Brian
I'm in the same boat. I'm running H/C,longtubes and hi-flow cats. Maybe i should try this before i buy another exhaust.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:17 PM
brian vette
Burning Brakes

Default NXT Step

Patches,

I have read several of your post and you are the one that actually made me give the nxt step a try. I have gutted cats that really cranks up the sound 108 db at 2 feet from tips at 2000 rpm . Just to loud under acceration and I am getting headaches on my 80 mile commute each day. Your post are great!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:36 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Gutted cats - that'll do it. I have a set of cutouts on my MN6 C5 and even with intact cats it is LOUD with the cutouts open. No doubt, your NXT's with gutted cats are definitely much louder than the wife's A4.

I would ask the silencer vendor if they'd be willing to let you try them and return them if they don't do it for you. Would certainly be great advertising here if they did.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:40 PM
saxtech
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You gotta be kidding ???

I have the NXT Step Cat-Backs and I simply LOVE THEM and I am not a 20 year old (49 y/o).

I am wondering if you may have an exhaust leak or if you did something other than JUST the Cat-Back system. Do you still have the cats installed ? Do you have headers ? Have you changed anything else other than the cat-backs ?

Mine have a very soft motor-boat-like rumble at idle and can barely hear them at cruising speeds unless I accelerate. They really only sound off when my foot is moving on the pedal - when my foot is still they are perfect. No drone and I am mostly cruising with my 9 year old little boy and having normal volume conversations with him or listening to music.

Tell us more on why it is so loud as to give you headaches.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:42 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

please keep me informed about this. I want to put long tubes on my car but I'm afraid of it being too loud. I have stingers and I like the sound of them, I wouldn't want another muffler. I find with the windows down the car is not loud at all, its only when the windows are up that its bad (sometimes). would it do anything for drone? if you give them a try I'd really like to know.

wouldn't something like that block off the exhaust some and cost power?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:54 PM
saxtech
Pro

Originally Posted by mcgilles
please keep me informed about this. I want to put long tubes on my car but I'm afraid of it being too loud. I have stingers and I like the sound of them, I wouldn't want another muffler. I find with the windows down the car is not loud at all, its only when the windows are up that its bad (sometimes). would it do anything for drone? if you give them a try I'd really like to know.

wouldn't something like that block off the exhaust some and cost power?
Of course it would.

It is like putting a brass nozzle at the end of your garden hose. The water in the hose will shoot out faster and harder with less volume "after" attachement but everything "before" it gets out of the hose will get backed up slowing the output of volume....... Same with inserting something into the exhaust pipe. Sure, it may change the sound (or the output force of the exhaust) but it WILL be a restriction in the flow of burnt gases. Don't believe the advertisement that it will increase power. That is a sales pitch and they can get away with saying that simply because you can't dis-prove their claim or most won't take the time to even try to dis-prove it.

Last edited by saxtech; 03-24-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:22 PM
brian vette
Burning Brakes

Default Loud

I have headers and gutted cats, heads, cam and supercharger. The nxt step is very similar to stingers in design and sound. Those are not really muffers you can see right thru them . How much does that dampen sound ?? This system is similar to the cherry bomb muffer of the 70's. I am 52 and this system is loud. Now my car runs a little rich because of the supercharger. Rich also equals loud so maybe it's the combination of the elements. To hear my radio with my previous Z06TI's at 65 mphs my volume control was set at about 30% of max. With this system it's at 60 % . At idle it's great but otherwise to loud for me.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:06 PM
saxtech
Pro

Originally Posted by brian vette
I have headers and gutted cats, heads, cam and supercharger. The nxt step is very similar to stingers in design and sound. Those are not really muffers you can see right thru them . How much does that dampen sound ?? This system is similar to the cherry bomb muffer of the 70's. I am 52 and this system is loud. Now my car runs a little rich because of the supercharger. Rich also equals loud so maybe it's the combination of the elements. To hear my radio with my previous Z06TI's at 65 mphs my volume control was set at about 30% of max. With this system it's at 60 % . At idle it's great but otherwise to loud for me.
WOW - Of course your car is loud BUT I wouldn't blame the volume on the NXT Step System. You have all the ingredients to make a VERY LOUD explosion in your cylinders with the cam putting more fuel in, the heads to increase the compression of that fuel and the supercharger to ram it all in the cylinders for an explosion of huge volume. Now gutt the cats and put headers on as you did and you take away any dampening of that explosion and sure, the end result will be LOUD (lol)..... It is not the NXT Step systems fault - it is all the ingredients of your system that make it loud.

The NXT Step Cat-Back system on a normally asperated engine with no headers and with the factory cat as it was designed, works WONDERFULLY.

I'm sorry it is too loud for you but you have a race car there that you are driving on the street.

I'm sure it is REALLY FUN though and I bet it sounds awesome to those that don't have to be in the car. I love the sound of a big cam and headers but I would feel as you do and would get tired of long drives with all that noise. I bet the supercharger also adds a lot of noise with its high pitched howl. But I am sure it is a head-turner.

Not sure if any different muffler set up would be much better while not taking performance away from your expensive set-up.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:26 PM
brian vette
Burning Brakes

Default Silencers

Agree they are a quality exhaust and perfect for the unmodified or slightly modified. Well I pulled the trigger for um. 129.00 bucks shipped from jegs to my door. I will take some sound readings before and after and post some pictures. Sounds like a fun project to me. Also if I want to make it loud for trips to the track ect. it should be real easy to slip them in and out of the h-pipe. I let you guys know.

Brian
Old 03-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Gideon's_Test
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Brian vette: Sounds like you're a good candidate for a factory Z06 Ti exhaust...Someone would probably work out some kind of trade..
Old 03-25-2010, 08:51 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

After market exhaust is for added HP and sound. Silencers to reduce the noise?

Then put the stock exhausts back on.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:17 AM
prplprl2
Racer

I have the NXT exhaust and absolutely LOVE it. Not running any other mod, gutted cats etc. though.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:51 AM
postwhore
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
After market exhaust is for added HP and sound. Silencers to reduce the noise?

Then put the stock exhausts back on.

oh my god , logic and reason !
Old 03-25-2010, 11:33 AM
brian vette
Burning Brakes

Default Stock

You left out appearance. Those little rounds oval stock tips dont look very good and there should be some middle ground between stock 84 db and nxt step 108 db. Dont you think?
Old 03-25-2010, 11:42 AM
IDM
Le Mans Master

I wouldnt use a restriction in the exhaust (silencer) to quiet it down.
I had some made for my RX-7 and the car was completely different with them on vs off.
I'm sure it'll make less difference in a non forced induction car but just sounds like a silly idea and waste of money. Switch catbacks.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Gideon's_Test
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The stock Z06 Ti's have a nice full round exhaust tip, and is somewhat louder than stock. I have long tubes, no cats, with a stock H-pipe and it sounds great! Not too loud by any means, but howls at WOT!

Get notified of new replies

To Nxt step too loud !!!! How about silencers??

Quick Reply: Nxt step too loud !!!! How about silencers??