how to get off burnt rubber?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:58 PM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default how to get off burnt rubber?

Recently ran in the TX2K10 drag race competition and i really smoked the tires on the car this time. didn't put blue painters tape (now wishing i had!!! )

so, whats the best way to get off that burnt rubber from my fenders?

Heres a pic of what caused it...

Old 03-25-2010, 07:59 PM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

wd-40 will take it right off.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Sponge Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Contributor

Next time put some painters tape on to cover the areas where the rubber gets flunk, then just peel it off.

Name:  Picture012.jpg
Views: 5974
Size:  249.6 KB

Name:  Picture011.jpg
Views: 5759
Size:  173.6 KB
Old 03-25-2010, 08:27 PM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Originally Posted by Sponge Vette
Next time put some painters tape on to cover the areas where the rubber gets flunk, then just peel it off.

or post-it notes.....

Old 03-25-2010, 08:53 PM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by EVIL_C5
wd-40 will take it right off.
should i just spray on the wd-40 and let it sit on there for a couple min? then can i use a power spray and spray it off?

thanks bud!!!
Aj
Old 03-25-2010, 09:19 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use a claybar and car wash soap. Throw away the clay bar when done. Works pretty damn well.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:51 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

I used my hand to roll it off - it comes off pretty easy! It's kinda like a bad sunburn it will peel off

Next time I will either do tape or some heavy wax right there instead

Thanks,Matt
Old 03-25-2010, 09:56 PM
ITSQUIK
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I have used Turtlewax Bug & Tar remover and it works AWESOME!!

Stuff just wipes right off.

Here is a link to a website that sells it so you can see what it looks like. I buy mine from AutoZone.

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-5.../dp/B0009JKGII
Old 03-25-2010, 10:02 PM
NEVERL8C5
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cars that are drag raced should be treated like a firefighters
helmet shield you let the dirt stay where it is. It adds character.
Wd 40 is a good choice and so is goo gone,but be prepared for some filthy hands as it disolves the rubber and makes a nice liquid mess.Good luck and keep going to the track.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:41 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

You know, for about five years I have read this forum every day and I havent seen this question come up ? How can that be ?

You would think its a recurring problem, here at HP central
Old 03-26-2010, 07:44 AM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Originally Posted by 1 BAD BURB
should i just spray on the wd-40 and let it sit on there for a couple min? then can i use a power spray and spray it off?

thanks bud!!!
Aj
I used to just spray it on and then take a old microfiber and wipe it away. you might haev to wash the area with a little soap and water after to get the residue off so you can re-apply wax or whatever you you.

if you dont like the idea of blue tape, pam cooking spray works pretty good to keep the rubber from sticking. just dont leave it on there too long after the track, it will become hard to remove.

all tricks I learned from having cars that I raced but also showed.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:35 AM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Thanks all for the comments. Def helps a lot! I plan on spending about 2 hrs wiping this crap off an cleaning tHe car.

Next time I'm def using tape, I always do but this lat time, I ran out of time to apply it. It was raining out the night before and the car was sitting out at the track so I really didn't have an option.

Again, thank you all.
Aj
Old 03-26-2010, 10:16 AM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Not only burnt rubber on the sides of the rear fenders!, wait untill you look under neath in the inner wheel wells and top,sides and bottom of the cat back system. It would take a full day to really completely remove the mess of a full days fun at the drags. The painters tape is the best to use on the outside panels. Never use a clay bar to remove the rubber from the side panels
Old 03-26-2010, 10:30 AM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Originally Posted by bumble-z
Not only burnt rubber on the sides of the rear fenders!, wait untill you look under neath in the inner wheel wells and top,sides and bottom of the cat back system. It would take a full day to really completely remove the mess of a full days fun at the drags. The painters tape is the best to use on the outside panels. Never use a clay bar to remove the rubber from the side panels
this is why I dont take mine to to the track anymore, it takes forever to get all the rubber out of there.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:39 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I usually put on a good coat of wax before going to the track,then use liquid wax to get the rubber off
Old 03-26-2010, 01:35 PM
warpster
Drifting

MUD-X Releasing Agent Concentrate actually creates a protective coating to prevent mud and dirt from sticking to the surfaces of your racecar. Non-Toxic and environmentally safe, MUD-X is safe on metal, plastic, rubber and painted surfaces. MUD-X gives racers an advantage on the track and in the pits. Using MUD-X as directed will keep mud, dirt, oil and exhaust from clinging to your racecar body, suspension components and graphics. MUD-X is water soluble so clean up easy; just spray down your car and wipe with a clean soft cloth. Mix MUD-X concentrate with up to 10 quarts of water to produce a coating that prevents mud, dirt, oil, rubber and exhaust residue from sticking to body panels. MUD-X is safe for metal, plastic, rubber, and painted surfaces.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:30 PM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by warpster
MUD-X Releasing Agent Concentrate actually creates a protective coating to prevent mud and dirt from sticking to the surfaces of your racecar. Non-Toxic and environmentally safe, MUD-X is safe on metal, plastic, rubber and painted surfaces. MUD-X gives racers an advantage on the track and in the pits. Using MUD-X as directed will keep mud, dirt, oil and exhaust from clinging to your racecar body, suspension components and graphics. MUD-X is water soluble so clean up easy; just spray down your car and wipe with a clean soft cloth. Mix MUD-X concentrate with up to 10 quarts of water to produce a coating that prevents mud, dirt, oil, rubber and exhaust residue from sticking to body panels. MUD-X is safe for metal, plastic, rubber, and painted surfaces.
where did you copy paste that from? LOL... or you are one hell of a marketing writer!

there is this other stuff which you paint on. sorta like a clear coat and when you are done, it peels off in one piece. i'll have to find what it was and give you guys the name.

i don't care much of cleaning out the fender wells or the bottom of the cat back. never have cleaned it in the yrs past, just keeps building up. but this last trip to the track literally doubled the thickness of the rubber. lol... may have to clean off this time tho. im going to try and soak in WD-40 and then take the power sprayer to it. see if it comes off... but first i'll rub it gently to break up the loose stuff at least.

thanks again all.
Aj

Get notified of new replies

To how to get off burnt rubber?

Old 03-26-2010, 02:41 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

another easy to use and very effective method for removal of just about anything like burnt rubber or tar is plain old baby oil (it will probably be a bit more cost effective also). works wonders. years ago (when i had my 93 vert), a roofing truck pulling a tar kettle swerved suddenly a few cars in front of me on the florida turnpike and the kettle trailer flipped over spilling tar almost instantly over 3 lanes of highway. there was nothing to do except to brake as hard as possible before hitting the spill and creep through it. when i got home that evening i sent my son to the grocery store with an order to buy at least 10 of the largest bottles of baby oil he could find. took about an hour, but it all came off and the car looked great once again.

i would never have thought about using baby oil if i hadn't been to the beach a week or so before and seen the lifeguards using it on all the kids who came to the stand with tar on their feet from the ocean. worked like a charm there and worked like a charm on the car.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:05 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

I use Nothing..
Just get a kid to peel off the rubber afterwards..
Old 03-26-2010, 10:24 PM
warpster
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1 BAD BURB
where did you copy paste that from? LOL... or you are one hell of a marketing writer!
Tee Hee.......and one more time....GEDDEX BURNOUT GUARD
WATER BURNOUTS CREATE GOOD TRACTION - BUT LOOK AT THAT TIRE RUBBER SPLATTERED ACROSS YOUR RACE CAR'S QUARTER PANEL! WHAT A JOB. TIRED OF DIFFICULT AND TIME CONSUMING CLEANUP AFTER THE RACE?

NOW, BEFORE YOUR NEXT RACE, SPRAY GEDDEX BURNOUT GUARD ON THE BODY SECTIONS YOU USED TO SCRUB. GEDDEX DRIES CLEAR AND WON'T HARM PAINT. IT BECOMES A WATER SOLUBLE LAYER OF PROTECTION BETWEEN HOT SPLATTERS OF TIRE RUBBER AND THE NICE CLEAN QUARTER PANELS OF YOUR CAR.

WHEN YOU'RE READY, JUST RINSE DOWN THE SPLATTERED AREA WITH WATER AND WIPE AWAY THE RUBBER. SPRAY ON GEDDEX BURNOUT GUARD AGAIN, AND YOU'RE PROTECTED FOR ANOTHER DAY AT THE DRAG STRIP!

Oops sorry for yelling.......but there's no way I'm typing anything I can just copy

Quick Reply: how to get off burnt rubber?