Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does My Torch Red Paint Look Orange at certain times of the day & Red other times

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Jacks2002
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Choreo
For all I know, I have had a dream in which I went to sleep and woke up every day for 60 years and when I wake up in the next dimension tomorrow I will realize that it is normal to have dreams that encompass 60 years of experiences - in which case everyone on this forum including the forum itself is a figment of my imagination? ... but that still leaves the perceived color of red a mystery!
Old 04-07-2010, 12:25 AM
saxtech
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin

Is Zaino REALLY worth all the hype and cost ?

It just seems so dang complicated with all the steps and endless products that I have no idea what they are for.

The simple wax method is a no-brainer with wipe on and wipe off. But to tell you the truth, I really would like to get that shine that you have. It is really pretty.

Have you tried to achieve that shine with one step application products ?
Old 04-07-2010, 12:42 AM
thematrix17
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Torch red is awesome...I wish my vette was torch red
Old 04-07-2010, 01:27 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by saxtech
Not just worth it, but absolutely necessary if you misjudge the overhang on your car port!

Old 04-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

It just seems so dang complicated with all the steps and endless products that I have no idea what they are for.

Its not complicated at all... Zaino has many products, I have been detailing cars for 50 years, my own only.. Ive tried thousands of products, I have an intimate relationship with some of Meguiars chemists. I also met Sal Zaino when he was making his products out of his garage., the hardest part of Zaino is getting the products to your door, once you have them, it becomes a no brainer.. My car has 80,000 miles on it and its 11 years old. Zaino, is the best line of products I have ever used.. I have no affiliation with Zaino, I haven't talked with Sal in 6 years.. I continue to use his products because my paint actually looks better than the day I bought it. The car speaks volumes.. Every time I take my car out, I always get some sort of positive comment,,, but far and away the most received comment is " Shinny" or is that Band New.

The simple wax method is a no-brainer with wipe on and wipe off. But to tell you the truth, I really would like to get that shine that you have. It is really pretty.

Look, they sell alot of products out there, many are great, some not so great. the difference between a top quality product and a good one is the difference you see in many of the photos you see here, and the ones that seem to stand out just a Little more.. I have received so many emails and PM's about my car finish and what I use, I have to say that what I have been doing with my car using Zaino, is what makes my care one of those that stand out just alittle more than the others. If I thought something I found was better I would say so... Ive turned on half of my neighbor hood to these products,, you may ask why... the reason is people stop and ask what I use... Most feel that running to the auto parts store is convenient so they get a shelf product which will do a good job.. but if you want that extra 20%, I suggest Zaino..
There are also some very specific steps I take to insure that the wax/protect ant on my car reflects 99.9 % opacity.
I dont want to hijack this thread more than I already have.

Have you tried to achieve that shine with one step application products ?
Like I said , its not the procedure , it's the quality of the product, and the quality of the paint below it...

Ill give you one tip that no one seems to grasp.. I would never use a California duster, I would never rub on my paint... a product like quick detailer is a no no.. here is why.. ( sorry I'm hijacking ) when you spray quick detailer on your car. its already dirty.. magnetically attracting silica..sand.. hard as glass.. when you rub this silica with a microfiber towel, you drag it across the clear coat and make these very very fine micron scratches.. you can see them as very light swirls because of the way you wipe the car off.. the depression n o matter how slight cause light refraction making the car change colors slightly.. Now what I do is a hit the car with the hose,, not rubbing anything, just a stream of water to lubricate and wash away any of this silica... I then use a 180 mph leaf blower,,, the one I have is very light Black and decker... I could not see spending 300 dollars for that automotive heated blower.
So now when I'm going to Zaino my car , its a quick water only wash, a blow dry, and then an application of Zaino.. heres another trick..you have to thin out the Zaino, ( out of the bottle it applies too thickly and takes forever to dry.. ) knowing that my car is clean of any silica, I can apply Zaino with out getting any silica on the pad.. I spray some Zaino gloss enhancer on my pad...and then a drop or two only.. of the Zaino, I massage it into the paint going front to rear..I start at the left front fender.. then move to the door, then to the rear quarter, or the top.. by the time I'm done one side. about 20 minutes... I can now remove the flashed off thin Zaino product. now that about 30 minutes have passed, I go to the other side of the car and hit is with water from the hose and blow dry it so that no silica has settled on the car in the past 30 minutes.. then I repeat the application, and removal.. the rear of the car get most of the silica so make sure you get all that stuff that may accumulate around the lens cover and license plate and blow dry the rear, and do the application. then do the front of the car.. this whole deal takes me about 45 minutes. This is all precludes by making sure the car is clean..clay6 bar id great if you dont keep on top of your car... last year I did this process about three times. I'M going to stop this now, It getting way too long.. I spend very little time on my car in a years time..its not a daily driver but its not a garage queen either , 80,000 miles is a respectable amount of road wear. I do not go out of my way to park in any special spots but I do park smart.. I do not have one ding anywhere on my car.. PM me if you need more specifics
Sorry for this long winded post
Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 04-07-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:58 PM
saxtech
Pro

Like I said , its not the procedure , it's the quality of the product, and the quality of the paint below it...

Ill give you one tip that no one seems to grasp.. I would never use a California duster, I would never rub on my paint... a product like quick detailer is a no no.. here is why.. ( sorry I'm hijacking ) when you spray quick detailer on your car. its already dirty.. magnetically attracting silica..sand.. hard as glass.. when you rub this silica with a microfiber towel, you drag it across the clear coat and make these very very fine micron scratches.. you can see them as very light swirls because of the way you wipe the car off.. the depression n o matter how slight cause light refraction making the car change colors slightly.. Now what I do is a hit the car with the hose,, not rubbing anything, just a stream of water to lubricate and wash away any of this silica... I then use a 180 mph leaf blower,,, the one I have is very light Black and decker... I could not see spending 300 dollars for that automotive heated blower.
So now when I'm going to Zaino my car , its a quick water only wash, a blow dry, and then an application of Zaino.. heres another trick..you have to thin out the Zaino, ( out of the bottle it applies too thickly and takes forever to dry.. ) knowing that my car is clean of any silica, I can apply Zaino with out getting any silica on the pad.. I spray some Zaino gloss enhancer on my pad...and then a drop or two only.. of the Zaino, I massage it into the paint going front to rear..I start at the left front fender.. then move to the door, then to the rear quarter, or the top.. by the time I'm done one side. about 20 minutes... I can now remove the flashed off thin Zaino product. now that about 30 minutes have passed, I go to the other side of the car and hit is with water from the hose and blow dry it so that no silica has settled on the car in the past 30 minutes.. then I repeat the application, and removal.. the rear of the car get most of the silica so make sure you get all that stuff that may accumulate around the lens cover and license plate and blow dry the rear, and do the application. then do the front of the car.. this whole deal takes me about 45 minutes. This is all precludes by making sure the car is clean..clay6 bar id great if you dont keep on top of your car... last year I did this process about three times. I'M going to stop this now, It getting way too long.. I spend very little time on my car in a years time..its not a daily driver but its not a garage queen either , 80,000 miles is a respectable amount of road wear. I do not go out of my way to park in any special spots but I do park smart.. I do not have one ding anywhere on my car.. PM me if you need more specifics
Sorry for this long winded post
Bill aka ET

Still sounds complicated
Old 04-08-2010, 09:05 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Still sounds complicated
I guess if there were a one step process that could equal the level of shine and appearance of the Zaino or other multi step products, Zaino and the others wouldnt exist. I too would love to find that majic wipe on wipe off that produces the kind of finish as seen on ET's ride. Haven't yet, so I stick to the Zaino routine.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Jacks2002
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alxltd1
I guess if there were a one step process that could equal the level of shine and appearance of the Zaino or other multi step products, Zaino and the others wouldnt exist. I too would love to find that majic wipe on wipe off that produces the kind of finish as seen on ET's ride. Haven't yet, so I stick to the Zaino routine.

I've used both Meguiar's and Zaino. There is very little difference in effort and only a few more steps. As soon as I use up my supply of NXT, I think I'll be switching back to Zaino. Just FYI.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:30 PM
4U2ENVY
Burning Brakes

Location: Obama says I'm a bitter white guy clinging to my guns and religon and he's right

Mine is pretty much a garage queen and it is well cared for. Mine too looks orange when the sun hits it at certain times of the day. Other times it looks te typical torch red. Nothing to be concerned with at all.

Last edited by 4U2ENVY; 04-08-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:13 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

That's it I'm selling mine. I bought Red and now you all claim it's Orange. I fear the sun and ending up with a Pink car actually. OK all bs aside, except for the pink fear, My TR does the same thing. It stays redder longer after a good waxing with Mequires. The sodium vapor lights really make it a strange orange at night.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:44 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Over the last week I detailed my TR Coupe up. All while nursing a busted up rib. Yeah, I'm resting it ; ) This cars gonna kill me...
Washed twice with Dawn. Claybar'd. entire car....., Maguires Scratch X on spots...., Maguires Swirl X entire car....., Maguires NXT Liquid Wax entire car twice......, Maguires Gold Class Carnubba Paste Wax entire car......3 coats so far. Gonna try to get at least 3 more coats on it tomorrow.
Pics taken with my Droid phone. Not good enough to capture how wet the paint looks.

Last edited by IRON MAIDEN; 04-09-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:48 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Took these two shots back to back. Red in one, orange in another.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:29 AM
saxtech
Pro

It's hard to believe that GM wanted that color to change "intentionally".

I say YUKKK to the Orange Effect and Yea to the Deep Glossy Red Effect of Torch Red.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

Hello, just joined this forum because I have been battling this mystery regarding the color red looking orange or even a brownish orange in the sun. I hope I am allowed to be on this forum as I do not own a Vette. I have a 55 Bel Air 2 dr. Hardtop that I am restoring. I have a 327ci in it.

After a lot of time and energy I get down to the color I wanted but found a huge glitch. I found Boyd's red but when I had a paint card sprayed I found when I took it out in the direct sun it looked horrible. Not even a nice orange but an ugly orangish color. So I went back to look at other PPG paints but when taken out in the sun they did the same thing, changed color. They all look great indoors or in the shade but in the sun change.

Since the paint color is important to me I asked what colors made these up these different reds and found that actually the first one I liked had no orange it it, only magenta, opaque and brilliant red.
Also, since car shows are in the summer, I want it to look RED at shows.

I did find this out, the best time to look at a paint sample is between 10AM and 2PM. This is when the paint color will be most true. Most all reds look nice IMO, Torch red, brilliant red, viper red, true red, hot red etc. But for some reason reds change in color drastically from inside your garage, outside in early evening, outside in complete shade etc.

So the question remains, how does one find the red that looks great during the hours you want it to most?

I get obsessed with researching, so when I get an answer I will post it, if it hasn't already been done by then.

Thank you for allowing me to barge in with my old 55 chevy but at least it has a 327ci in it. Great small bloke engines that started with the Vettes.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:03 AM
Barbpoz
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Orange haze

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just my car - At certain times of the day my Beautiful Torch Red paint looks Orange in color. I sometimes think my eyes are playing tricks on me but it happens too often. It is a 99 Coupe and I got it 4 months ago with only 24,000 miles on it - no accidents, original paint in near perfect condition. When the sun hits it at other times of the day it looks very Red...... You can see my car in my pictures under my profile and in my Avatar. It is very red.

Anyone else see this in their paint or is it just mine (lol) ? It really bugs me because the Torch Red at different times of the day in the same place on the car looks beautiful. But when the sun hits it differently, it takes on a Orange effect and I am not crazy about Orange cars (lol).
I got my vette last year. Polished it lightly 3 times and the color deepened and the shine improved immensely. Not as “orange “ looking anymore.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:47 PM
SavageLand
Advanced

I notice the color shifting slightly orange in bright mid-day sun but it's ok.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:27 PM
Barbpoz
Heel & Toe

Default Took this pic at 11:30 sunny day - waxed x2 love it

So deep in color so much shine. Elbow grease made all the difference and not even expensive product.

Get notified of new replies

To Why does My Torch Red Paint Look Orange at certain times of the day & Red other times

Old 05-08-2018, 04:00 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

I've never noticed the torch red Vettes looking orange, but I sure do notice it on the new Ford trucks and the Focus...THEY sometimes look very orange to me...
Old 05-08-2018, 04:03 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacks2002
Torch Red is one of the most popular Vette colors; that's why GM brought it back on the C6 (back by popular demand, so to speak). I love it. I don't care if there is an hour or two during the day when it looks "orangey." Most of the time, it's a badass RED.

Don't they call it victory red on the C6?
Old 05-08-2018, 06:41 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by grampi50
Don't they call it victory red on the C6?
^I thought this very same thing, until I found this:

http://jacksvettesite.coffeecup.com

Click on the 'Corvette history' tab. Interesting read on the differences by model year.

Quick Reply: Why does My Torch Red Paint Look Orange at certain times of the day & Red other times