Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does My Torch Red Paint Look Orange at certain times of the day & Red other times

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 01:02 AM
saxtech
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Why does My Torch Red Paint Look Orange at certain times of the day & Red other times

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just my car - At certain times of the day my Beautiful Torch Red paint looks Orange in color. I sometimes think my eyes are playing tricks on me but it happens too often. It is a 99 Coupe and I got it 4 months ago with only 24,000 miles on it - no accidents, original paint in near perfect condition. When the sun hits it at other times of the day it looks very Red...... You can see my car in my pictures under my profile and in my Avatar. It is very red.

Anyone else see this in their paint or is it just mine (lol) ? It really bugs me because the Torch Red at different times of the day in the same place on the car looks beautiful. But when the sun hits it differently, it takes on a Orange effect and I am not crazy about Orange cars (lol).
Old 04-04-2010, 01:08 AM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by saxtech
Has anyone else noticed this or is it just my car - At certain times of the day my Beautiful Torch Red paint looks Orange in color. I sometimes think my eyes are playing tricks on me but it happens too often. It is a 99 Coupe and I got it 4 months ago with only 24,000 miles on it - no accidents, original paint in near perfect condition. When the sun hits it at other times of the day it looks very Red...... You can see my car in my pictures under my profile and in my Avatar. It is very red.

Anyone else see this in their paint or is it just mine (lol) ? It really bugs me because the Torch Red at different times of the day in the same place on the car looks beautiful. But when the sun hits it differently, it takes on a Orange effect and I am not crazy about Orange cars (lol).
I think it's just a result of the way light hits red cars. Have you ever noticed how difficult it is to photograph red cars in sunlight? They go orange pretty easily. It's even the reason why, in the Transformers movie, Optimus Prime has so much blue on him; the cinematographers had a hell of a time trying to get the red captured on film. (according to the special features disc, anyway)

I have a black Vette and I notice something similar... if the sun hits it hard enough, the black turns into what I can only describe as a dark, milky gray. It's bizarre. But in the shade, the black is so deep, it's unreal.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:18 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

No idea but "red" is one thing, and "torch red" well.....that would seem to be another I mean its a great color, but maybe one of the insiders we have here can elaborate on how they came upon that particular formula.

Im pretty sure if they wanted it to be straight red they could get there, they spend a ton of time (read that as money) on formulating the colors and Im willing to bet they get what they pay for.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:34 AM
Texan1Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IIRC, this was the same color - torch red. I had this car (back in 2000 with HUD and polished wheels)and when it was parked next to my RIO RED mustang GT, I could see the orange in the paint compared to the Mustang GT.

Now that I recall, the mustang GT would have an orang-"E" hue to it as well in certain light.

(cars pictured here were not mine)
Old 04-04-2010, 03:35 AM
blkchipC5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's just the hue in the color being brought out by a certain kind of sunlight. I see it on the red Vettes around here all the time and my wife's old red mustang gt use to do the same thing.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:29 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,288 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

When I had my '99 it did the same thing. Some pics would come out nice and red, others more orange. Just the way the light hits the paint surface as mentioned earlier.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:39 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Cars in indoor car shows with mercury vapor lighting look strange too.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:01 AM
rogaljr
Intermediate

Default Why does My Torch Red Paint Look Orange at certain times of the day & Red other time

My 2004 Torch Red Roadster has the same characteristics. I noticed it also and I like it that way.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:22 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Torch. Get a lighter and turn it on and observerhe color. 'torch' red: working as intended.
The following users liked this post:
SG Lou (04-23-2018)
Old 04-04-2010, 11:33 AM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Although all reds seem to do that in the sunlight, especially in a cameras eye (yellow/red= orange), the Torch Red is much more 'orangy' that Victory (Early C6) or Brilliant Red (like my 92). When I'm next to a 93 Red Vette, theirs looks orange compared to mine.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:39 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

You know I have noticed that phenomenon as well. But for me it is even more specific as it regards time of day and only on certain days. Really strange but I know that on Fridays at about 6:45pm the color on my vette seems to take on a life of its own. It will run the gamut from light to dark from clear to fuzzy. I have asked numerous experts about this and they have spent countless hours examining my paint but have yet to come up with a rational explanation. Though the one thing that is common is that only I seem to see the changes. I tried an experiment recently to see if I could figure out what was causing the changes in color. This last Friday I followed my normal pattern just to avoid any variance in the location of the car that would account for the odd behavior of the paint color. I drove home from work and parked it in my garage where it always sits. I made sure that the garage lights had not been changed so that would not affect the outcome. This was at 5:45pm. I went inside and had my customary 4 Martinis. It was now 6:45pm and I went back out to the garage to check the vette. Damn if the color was not changing once again! I give up.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:22 PM
LisaJohn
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '10

We noticed it on ours. Doesn't matter to me. I love torch red!
L
Old 04-04-2010, 01:36 PM
CatCam
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Mushrooms?
Old 04-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Cardinal Flyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

FWIW
I've had mine 3 months and so far have only noticed that in certain light the front and rear bumpers will look slightly orange compared to the rest of the paint. Usually can't tell a difference in color.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:01 PM
ronssito
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lighting.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:20 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Also notice that a light coating of dust will diffuse the light enough to turn the car orange. If you wash you car on the weekend and drive it all week, by the time Friday rolls around gauranteed torch red is now orange.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:31 PM
saxtech
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CatCam
Mushrooms?
NOT MUSHROOMS !!!

Originally Posted by alxltd1
You know I have noticed that phenomenon as well. But for me it is even more specific as it regards time of day and only on certain days. Really strange but I know that on Fridays at about 6:45pm the color on my vette seems to take on a life of its own. It will run the gamut from light to dark from clear to fuzzy. I have asked numerous experts about this and they have spent countless hours examining my paint but have yet to come up with a rational explanation. Though the one thing that is common is that only I seem to see the changes. I tried an experiment recently to see if I could figure out what was causing the changes in color. This last Friday I followed my normal pattern just to avoid any variance in the location of the car that would account for the odd behavior of the paint color. I drove home from work and parked it in my garage where it always sits. I made sure that the garage lights had not been changed so that would not affect the outcome. This was at 5:45pm. I went inside and had my customary 4 Martinis. It was now 6:45pm and I went back out to the garage to check the vette. Damn if the color was not changing once again! I give up.
Not Musrooms - Martinis made him see Orange - If I knew you could do that I would have told you my Torch Red turns to Blue after 4 Martinis
The following users liked this post:
92GA (04-16-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Why does My Torch Red Paint Look Orange at certain times of the day & Red other times

Old 04-04-2010, 02:48 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by saxtech
NOT MUSHROOMS !!!

Not Musrooms - Martinis made him see Orange - If I knew you could do that I would have told you my Torch Red turns to Blue after 4 Martinis
Martinis!...so thats the problem. Wow! Who would of thought it. Then again the fact that my vette is black and turned to orange should have been a hint.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:58 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Torch is the key word here. As in flame. When was the last time you saw a flame or fire and it was true red??? It dances around between red, yellow, orange.... That is what fire looks like. This is just what we have, a paint that takes on a Torch type characteristic in that it changes shades like a flame. My favorite is at dusk when it's just getting dark. Torch Red looks awesome at that time. My only complaint is trying to get good pics of my car. I bet a real photographer would have no problem though.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:08 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

is the wax yellowing ?

Quick Reply: Why does My Torch Red Paint Look Orange at certain times of the day & Red other times