Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear tire stick out more on one side than the other ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Z0ra6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric D
So, it's a good idea to center the cradle to the fenders rather than center the cradle to the frame where all the other suspension, front and rear are normally referenced from??
You bring up a REALLY good point. I read in threads before that the molds of the drivers/passenger fenders are not identical. People measuring ride height to the "fender" do not always get accurate readings because of this variance between the two sides of the car. The same could be said for the width of the rear fenders as well? I don't know.

Toque, did you take any pictures of the before/after under the car. I'm not on the fence about doing this. Was yours centered with the frame...if so, I'm leaving it alone. I guess some things from the factory are okay to leave alone....it's part of what makes the car original. Now if there was a recall, I would then think otherwise. But in your case, you really needed the clearance.....so we understand it being such a high priority.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

So, it's a good idea to center the cradle to the fenders rather than center the cradle to the frame where all the other suspension, front and rear are normally referenced from??
That's a good question.

Its hard to know if its the cradle or the body is off center. It obviously came from the factory like this. Its just easy to move the cradle slightly to match the body. Its not off that much, but in my case, my tire was rubbing and I wanted to fix that.

Toque
Old 04-08-2010, 01:14 PM
medion07
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14

Thanks for the post. Just added C6 splash guards and noticed something was different.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Z0ra6
Toque, did you take any pictures of the before/after under the car. I'm not on the fence about doing this. Was yours centered with the frame...if so, I'm leaving it alone. I guess some things from the factory are okay to leave alone....it's part of what makes the car original. Now if there was a recall, I would then think otherwise. But in your case, you really needed the clearance.....so we understand it being such a high priority.
I did not take pics sorry.... I usually do but I just jumped into it... Sorry about that. Keep in mind that I kept within the limits of the cradle alignment pins in the frame. That way I figure its within the tolerance limits of the car. When they built the car on the manufacturing line the pins could have lined up ANYWHERE inside the alignment holes in the frame. This is why I think some cars have the tires sticking out more on the drivers side, and some cars tires are sticking out more on the passenger side.

Toque

Last edited by Toque; 04-08-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Milton Fox
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

That is what I was thinking - you just need to undo the body mounts and then align the fenders over the tires - that should fix it too!
Old 04-10-2010, 09:26 AM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Milton Fox
That is what I was thinking - you just need to undo the body mounts and then align the fenders over the tires - that should fix it too!
Then you would have bigger gaps in the body seams. As Mark said there is room for "error" from the factory with the alignment holes. I've spoken with frame shops and was told there is no problem with moving the rear cradle and getting a proper alignment afterwards.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

I got mine aligned today. I'm a little disappointed. I used to stick out 8/32" more on my drivers side. Now with the cradle move, and alignment.... my drivers side still sticks out 6/32". Its better but no where close like I was hoping for. I guess there is not much more to do except move the body (not gonna happen on my car)...

Sorry guys. I was hoping this would help....

Toque
Old 04-14-2010, 06:35 PM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

can the holes be enlarrged to allow more adjustment?
Or shim the right rear wheel to even it out?

seems like some good alignment shops would have picked
up on this offset.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:59 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by redrckt97
can the holes be enlarrged to allow more adjustment?
Or shim the right rear wheel to even it out?

seems like some good alignment shops would have picked
up on this offset.
My alignment shop shop told me that I am just about maxed out on my camber on my drivers rear wheel. I can't move my cradle anymore over. I thought this would have helped center things up.... im bummed...

Toque
Old 04-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Z0ra6
Instructor

its unfortunate that you saw a small difference after the alignment, but we all all grateful that you followed up & posted your experience. anyone on this forum would be happy to have your car...if you guys haven't seen it in person, you could eat off any part of it!!! in yur case, i think it was all worth the effort with your tire setup.

on a side note, have you considered running one size narrower tire on that side? okay...j/k.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:41 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Z0ra6
its unfortunate that you saw a small difference after the alignment, but we all all grateful that you followed up & posted your experience. anyone on this forum would be happy to have your car...if you guys haven't seen it in person, you could eat off any part of it!!! in yur case, i think it was all worth the effort with your tire setup.

on a side note, have you considered running one size narrower tire on that side? okay...j/k.
Thanks for the cudo's. I love my ride, and this hobby. It keeps me out of trouble elsewhere...

Its amazing the amount of folks with C5's and C6's that have replied in this post, PM's, and on other forums that have this issue. These cars are not built to exact tolerances. I tried my best to make it perfect. At least I can say I tried.

It has crossed my mind asking CCW to make me a 10.5" set of rears. Believe it or not that's what I wanted CCW to make me in the first place. CCW talked me into the 11" rears. I should have gone with my original thought. I could have saved a little weight, and still mounted the 305's on there.

Oh well.... Live and learn right ?
Toque
Old 04-14-2010, 11:54 PM
darkstang5887
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks sooo much for posting this i just installed l5 fenders and i thought i did them wrong lol
Old 04-17-2010, 06:21 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Bump, anyone have another idea?
Old 04-18-2010, 11:53 AM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

I read you can get Custom offset A arms? Anyone know where to purchase these? These would help when moving the cradle correct? Btw David Farmer is helping me out with alot of questions I have, this guy knows his stuff. Thanks David.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:12 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
I got mine aligned today. I'm a little disappointed. I used to stick out 8/32" more on my drivers side. Now with the cradle move, and alignment.... my drivers side still sticks out 6/32". Its better but no where close like I was hoping for. I guess there is not much more to do except move the body (not gonna happen on my car)...

Toque
Now that you have screwed up the frame alignment go back and center the rear cross member between the frame rails where it belongs.
Take it back to the alignment shop and have them bring your camber back to -0.18 and use caster to compensate for road crown.
By moving the rear cradle you have made the car dog track when moving down the road.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:54 AM
Trigger Creep
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Great topic. I can't tell anything on mine, but never would have thought to look. I bookmarked it for future reference.

I can see it now, standing behind my car and asking passerby's - Tell me, does my butt stick out further on one side?
Old 04-27-2010, 07:22 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Toque
When I had my Pfadts installed a few weeks ago I asked about this same issue because my driver side tire sticks out about 6/32 more than the passenger side. They tried adjusting it but after the alignment there was no improvement. I'm totally ok with it. It drives like a dream now so that's all that really matters in the end. (Z's are made to drive not just look pretty!!!)

Get notified of new replies

To Rear tire stick out more on one side than the other ?

Old 04-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
When I had my Pfadts installed a few weeks ago I asked about this same issue because my driver side tire sticks out about 6/32 more than the passenger side. They tried adjusting it but after the alignment there was no improvement. I'm totally ok with it. It drives like a dream now so that's all that really matters in the end. (Z's are made to drive not just look pretty!!!)
Yea same situation here.... My cradle is more center now than it had been before, and same result after alignment (drivers sticks out ~1/4" more than pass). It has nothing to do with the coil over install because mine was the same before. I guess there is not much we can do about it. I'm just driving it and enjoying mine too.

Toque
Old 04-27-2010, 08:16 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

That's a good question.

Its hard to know if its the cradle or the body is off center. It obviously came from the factory like this. Its just easy to move the cradle slightly to match the body. Its not off that much, but in my case, my tire was rubbing and I wanted to fix that.

Toque
Very true.

Frame alignment or trueness may be an issue.
OEM specs for frames can vary by as much as 1/16" left to right and 1/16" up to down. and still be with spec.

Moving the cradle is not for everyone. really only a body shop should do with along with checking if the frame is true. if the frame is not true, straight the frame, not move the cradle.

Normally YES the right tire sticks out slightly. the rear fenders are not mirror images of each other. That is just the way it is.

and always a four wheel alignment is great idea.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:08 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Hey Mark, i've got my car in the shop right now, i've been talking with David Farmer and Delrin bushings might be the fix, i'll let ya know.

Seth

Quick Reply: Rear tire stick out more on one side than the other ?