Sponsored by:

[Z06] 02 Z06 valve spring broken. Another one bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 03:42 AM
c6z06forme10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Z06 valve spring broken. Another one bites the dust

Well, I guess I just have bad luck. The vette started running really rough after a WOT run and the check engine light started flashing. Drove it barely making it home and thought it was the MAF because it gave me a P0101 code. After doing some research, some people were saying they have a broken valve spring and they had the same symptoms that I did.

After removing the valve cover, my heart dropped. Cylinder #8 intake valve spring is done for . I just hope that nothing else happened that will cause me to spend more money . Guess I need to find someone near me with a valve spring tool or I'll be dishing out some $$$ for a crane tool.

Where can I get some "cheap" Comp 918's?

Also, has anyone here made up an extensive DIY for this? How can you visually tell if the valve hit the piston without removing the head?

Spencer

Last edited by c6z06forme10; 04-14-2010 at 03:54 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:35 AM
uberC5
Racer

Sorry to hear about your troubles. How many miles on the motor when the spring broke?

You could try to bore scope the cylinder through the spark plug hole, but due to the angles involved, you might not be able to see enough of the piston or cylinder walls near the top to ensure there is no damage.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:06 AM
z06sicz
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c6z06forme10
Well, I guess I just have bad luck. The vette started running really rough after a WOT run and the check engine light started flashing. Drove it barely making it home and thought it was the MAF because it gave me a P0101 code. After doing some research, some people were saying they have a broken valve spring and they had the same symptoms that I did.

After removing the valve cover, my heart dropped. Cylinder #8 intake valve spring is done for . I just hope that nothing else happened that will cause me to spend more money . Guess I need to find someone near me with a valve spring tool or I'll be dishing out some $$$ for a crane tool.

Where can I get some "cheap" Comp 918's?

Also, has anyone here made up an extensive DIY for this? How can you visually tell if the valve hit the piston without removing the head?

Spencer
Same happened to me. I did a wide open blast before putting her in the garage, and later found I lost a spring!!! I was just glad the keepers stay put and didn't drop the valve I bore scoped the cylinder and all checked out. I consider myself lucky
Old 04-14-2010, 11:42 AM
DIYdreamcar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search, someone just recently posted their DIY valve spring replacement.

You are making me nervous, mine has been fine, so far....

Time to look at a swap I guess, Cam here I come

-Ed
Old 04-14-2010, 11:47 AM
WowGuyZ06
Racer

WOW! this really does happen just randomly it seems. No signs, no certain mileage, high or low. Sorry about your loss. I hardly drive my car as it is, but reading all these horror stories makes me just want to go ahead and get my cam setup with double springs and be done with worrying about dropping a valve and losing the motor...

I know you just bought the car too, so sorry bud. Hopefully not too much is damaged.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Sinking
Racer

I recently did my springs because of a broken one. I'd imagine if you are able to use compressed air to hold the valve up while you change the spring then the valve is not broken and there are no holes in the pistons.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:36 PM
wallifishrmn
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Questions:

How many miles on the car?

Do you race or track the car? If so how often?

Have you do any modifications of the engine?
Old 04-14-2010, 04:18 PM
c6z06forme10
Instructor

Default spring pics...

Well I'm posting some pics below for everyones enjoyment. I have about 34,000 miles on the car right now and it is cammed. I am not sure if a cam kit was installed with the cam because the person I bought the vette from also bought it that way and he didn't know anything. Are the stock LS6 springs supposed to be yellow? Mine isn't so I'm not sure if they are stock or aftermarket.

The valve hasn't dropped so I'm crossing my fingers and waiting on a friend to see if they can get a bore scope to examine the piston. I'm also trying to find a modified valve spring compressor at the moment.

Thanks for all the responses so far..

Spencer
Old 04-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Sinking
Racer

That looks familiar. Yeah, those look aftermarket. Also, by the looks of how the retainer is still holding onto the valve I am going to bet everything else is still good.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Sinking
Racer

Is it an intake valve or exhaust? If it is intake your intake manifold is probably full of fuel.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:30 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Honestly, I think youll be fine. If the valve didnt drop, you probably dodged a bullet. Ebay has spring compressors and air hoses to hold the valves up while you change them.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:30 PM
USAFZ06
Burning Brakes

those are non stock springs and retainers...did you say it has the stock cam? those are double springs and it appears the inner spring stayed together limping you home without damage...if it was a stock cam its weird a aftermarket dual spring broke on such weak lobes and lift of the stock ls6 cam...do a leakdown and compression test...if all comes back good...replace and go on with life...good luck
Old 04-14-2010, 04:32 PM
USAFZ06
Burning Brakes

you can buy spring compressors for like 30 shipped on ls1tech the easy lever style...I made one and it worked great on my brothers car...i used the crane tool that does 2 at a time on my car
edit to the previous post...i remember you posted about your car making low power cammed with not a clue on the cam...too bad you couldnt find out what cam is in it...does it have a lot of lope? could be a sleeper cam with short durations aggressive lobes with lots of lift and you have insuffienct springs...put some PRC EHT .675s in it and go on with life! where did it peak at and do you have dyno graph to show how stable it looks at high rpm?

Last edited by USAFZ06; 04-14-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:37 PM
c6z06forme10
Instructor

Originally Posted by USAFZ06
those are non stock springs and retainers...did you say it has the stock cam? those are double springs and it appears the inner spring stayed together limping you home without damage...if it was a stock cam its weird a aftermarket dual spring broke on such weak lobes and lift of the stock ls6 cam...do a leakdown and compression test...if all comes back good...replace and go on with life...good luck
The cam isn't stock, but I don't know the specs on it since the previous owner already bought it that way. I really wish I knew what kind of camshaft I have in the car

Originally Posted by 81c3
Honestly, I think youll be fine. If the valve didnt drop, you probably dodged a bullet. Ebay has spring compressors and air hoses to hold the valves up while you change them.
Thanks for your response and help in the matter. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Sinking
Is it an intake valve or exhaust? If it is intake your intake manifold is probably full of fuel.
I am assuming it is the intake valve since the smell of unburnt fuel was extreme while the car was running. If it is full of fuel, what am i supposed to do to fix that once the springs are replaced? I HOPE I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE TO REMOVE THE INTAKE MANIFOLD! AHHHH...

On another note, thanks for everyones help..
Old 04-14-2010, 04:41 PM
c6z06forme10
Instructor

Originally Posted by USAFZ06
you can buy spring compressors for like 30 shipped on ls1tech the easy lever style...I made one and it worked great on my brothers car...i used the crane tool that does 2 at a time on my car
edit to the previous post...i remember you posted about your car making low power cammed with not a clue on the cam...too bad you couldnt find out what cam is in it...does it have a lot of lope? could be a sleeper cam with short durations aggressive lobes with lots of lift and you have insuffienct springs...put some PRC EHT .675s in it and go on with life! where did it peak at and do you have dyno graph to show how stable it looks at high rpm?
I'll post the graph as soon I get my scanner up. It does have alot of lope. Let me find it and I'll get you the specifics..
Old 04-14-2010, 04:59 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Pull the plugs and disconnect the coils and turn the engine over a few times. The fuel will come out that way if it isnt already evaporated. Put in some new valve seals while its apart and change the oil right away. Its probably contaminated with gasoline.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Sinking
Racer

Originally Posted by c6z06forme10

I am assuming it is the intake valve since the smell of unburnt fuel was extreme while the car was running. If it is full of fuel, what am i supposed to do to fix that once the springs are replaced? I HOPE I'M NOT GOING TO HAVE TO REMOVE THE INTAKE MANIFOLD! AHHHH...
Pulling the manifold will only add 30-60 minutes to the job. Very easy to do.

Get notified of new replies

To 02 Z06 valve spring broken. Another one bites the dust

Old 04-14-2010, 05:11 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow. That's crazy. I've never actually seen a snapped spring before. Ironic that aftermarket springs like that would go on an 02Z.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:17 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

....wondering if those springs could be from a batch of defective Comp brand springs that the LS1tech community was discussing about 3-4 years ago? If you do find out the particulars on your cam kit setup, please post this info. Sorry for your bad luck, but really, I think it could have been alot worse. Double springs, baby!
Old 04-14-2010, 05:19 PM
USAFZ06
Burning Brakes

zeevette...those are doubles...the bad comps were 918s from back in the day

Quick Reply: [Z06] 02 Z06 valve spring broken. Another one bites the dust