Sponsored by:

All Nxt step exhaust owners....please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:22 PM
plad99FRC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Nxt step exhaust owners....please help

I received my first nxt step exhaust system a few weeks back and decided to take it to the local chevy dealer that specializes in vettes to install. After about a an hour and a half they called me back to the shop. The got the one side lined up ok but the mechanic could not get the other side (not even close). He took it off and compared the 2 mufflers pieces and there was a noticeable difference in the pipes bend. Measured out, the gap in between exit pipe and the muffler differed about 1/2 inch . We concluded it must have been a defect and i contacted Nxt step and they sent out another system. I just got it tonight and it appears have the exact same difference as the other unit i received. I have an appointment to go back to the same chevy dealer to get it installed tomorrow. What do i do???? Is it possible that i received 2 bad systems or is possible the previous mechanic didnt know what he was doing? I read other reviews on here were people said the system was tough to line up correctly. Should i take it to another shop? Im very frustrated with the whole ordeal. If i take it in tomorrow and it cant be fitted i will be charged for labor and ill be going home again with the stock exhaust. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Wow....very odd. Now I bought mine used and it had already been installed in a car, so slapping it into mine was probably easier. However, there is a slight offset where one pair of tips is slightly outward from the other. But it's not obvious or very noticeable.

The other possibility is that the dealership mechanics may not know all the tips and tricks an EXPERIENCED exhaust person knows. Installing exhaust is a bit of an art-form and the dealer may not have that person. Hard to say.

Good luck.
Sorry I can't offer more.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:10 AM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

edited***due to "manufacturer issues***

Last edited by Z06Electron; 07-19-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:34 AM
dbbspider
Instructor

There is a left and right side. I would suggest you switch around some of the pieces from the left to the right and see if that lines up better. That is what I did and it lined up just about perfect. I did the install myself. Also take your time, it'll get there.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:56 AM
saxtech
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh 2 Fun
Wow....very odd. Now I bought mine used and it had already been installed in a car, so slapping it into mine was probably easier. However, there is a slight offset where one pair of tips is slightly outward from the other. But it's not obvious or very noticeable.
I bought mine used also and it had been on another car prior to me. (thought I was the only one)

Mine ALSO slightly sticks out a little bit (rearward) on the Drivers side. (thought I was the only one)

I started to wonder if it was coming loose but I am glad to see someone else has this same issue. It is so slight (maybe an inch or so) and I probably just did not notice it after the install because I was concerned with the 2 sides being equally level).

I got mine installed at a brake shop for $80. It is a no-brainer for a good mechanic to install this system if he has a lift. No specialty required. In fact, many Do-It-Yourself'ers have done it at home.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:37 AM
plad99FRC
Advanced

Im now taking it to a mechanic that i had a good experience a few years back. I cancelled the appointment with the chevy dealer mechanics. Funny that you mention the driver side tips being off. The driver side muffler is the one that i have been having trouble with. I really hope this guy can get them on for me and i dont have to deal with worrying about them moving around. I will follow up this weekend to let everyone know how it went.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:28 AM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

in my years of experience with aftermarket exhausts find the best muffler shop and have them install and tack weld they have the proper tools to bend the pipes ever so slightly to make them look perfect, I installed it myself and it looked great but a day later i had to take it to a shop for them to fix it, and it looks tons better now!
Old 04-15-2010, 04:09 PM
PETE O.
Drifting

It took me three attempts to get them perfect, and I do mean PERFECT.... You just have to keep fooling with them until you're satisfied. It's not easy by any stretch but it can be done. Start with everything put together and all the clamps and the bolts fairly loose. Work from the rear forward, tightening the flange bolts at the front last. It worked for me anyway. Oh and there is a different right and left side. I really don't think you can mix them and still come even close to a correct install.
A Chevy dealer and most muffler shops just don't have the patience for perfection.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:41 PM
YNOT2K
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

check out this thread from forum member Patches -

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...installed.html
Old 04-15-2010, 05:52 PM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

I shouldve taken pics but like evveryone else it took about 4 times to get it just right using measurements I'm now within an 1/8 diffrence measuring up to the bumper. Don't have much advice but keep trying to swivel it diffent ways until the mufflers are close to lining up then work the tips use jacks to help hold anything in place. Looking down on the tips from above one side stuck out alot. I used a large c-clamp to pull the one side in even then used a large 7inch hose clamp to keep it all in place. Sounds a bit ghetto but it works and it's not noticable unless u crawl undernEath and inspect it. Just stay patient and don't work when it's too hot out that always leads to frustration quiker
Old 04-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Sorry to hear about you problem. Some good advice in this thread above so I won't repeat it. FWIW, I've installed lots of aftermarket exhausts on C5s over the years and it's generally gone well. I did have to get a replacement set of factory-flawed Borla Stingers once but the res have been fine, including the wife's NXTs. They still are as nicely lined up as the day I installed them nearly 2 years ago without tack welds and they shine up like new and sound better than ever.

Best of luck in getting your fit correct.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:59 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

took me a while to get lined up just right but had no major issues with the nxt's

patches writeup was great also
Old 04-15-2010, 11:55 PM
prplprl2
Racer

I went to Resurrection MotorSports as he specializes in Vettes. Took him some time and some work with a torch to heat/bend, but they are PERFECT!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 03:03 PM
plad99FRC
Advanced

Well I got them on this morning. Took a drive to work and they already shifted substantially. I ditched the clamps that came with it and used band clamps. I love the sound but its gonna be a pain getting them alligned again and making them stay. Ill put some picks up when its all done. Hopefully it will be sooner than later.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:12 PM
ALEXAMES
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 41 Posts

I sent my NXT kit back for a full refund. I had two muffler shops mess with it. The fit was horrible on the left side.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:08 PM
plad99FRC
Advanced

Hey Folks,

I put some pics up in my album under my profile. I couldnt figure out how to include an attachment in the post. I got the setup straightened out as well as i could. It shifted on me once after it was all lined up. I really cranked down all the clamps the last time around so hopefully it wont happen again. I love the sound but it wasnt an easy road lol. Id recommend the system for someone looking for a nice looking catback on a budget. Just dont expect the install to be overly easy. Also you WILL want to get some good band clamps and throw away what comes with the system. On another note, I dont have an x pipe and as of now i like the crackle and bark i get with the M6 tranny. You have some control over the exhaust sound with the manual that you may not with the auto.

Cheers
Old 05-18-2010, 09:42 PM
saxtech
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I love my NXT Step Exhaust.

Get notified of new replies

To All Nxt step exhaust owners....please help

Quick Reply: All Nxt step exhaust owners....please help