Green Scotch Pad Used On The Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:16 PM
jraschke11
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by steve8
Hate to kick you when you're down, but what the heck are you covering a wet car for, and then with a cheap cover?
Elbow grease will definitely not cut it.
At the least you will need a buffer (everyone should own one). I am very happy with my flex.
Wash, clay, wash, machine polish, protect.
Wet sanding if needed should be done by someone who really knows what they are doing. Same goes for a rotary polisher. A rotary in the right hands can accomplish amazing results.
Good luck.
I know, I know, I never thought I would be the one to cover a wet car. But the weather was dreary and cloudy and with the humidity in NC it was soaked like it had been raining, and I really had no resources to dry the whole thing off.

And I thought Coverking was a good quality cover. I have a nice garage and don't really need a cover. That was the one and only time I ever really intend to use it, just because I was trailering my car behind a 26' Penske. I didn't want to spend a few hundred on a cover for a one time use.

I had a crappy offbrand orbital buffer that was on sale at Autozone a few years back. Tried using it a few times and it was junk, so that kind of turned me off and I never bought another one.

And though the scratches/swirls are ugly and look deep and scary, I am pretty sure they are still on top of the clear. Granted, there is probably less then a hair separating the CC and paint now, but there is something still there.

I can't see any discoloration of the paint, there are no discernible ridges when touching it with my hands or fingernails.

I will get some pictures when I get home later today and try to catch them in the light so everyone can see.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:58 PM
rclinton
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Porter cable random orbital buffer and the Adams three step polishing kit. I live in Jacksonville but work at Cherry Point. If you want to borrow the kit let me know and I'll hook up with you.

Ahhh just reread that you moved to Michigan!

Last edited by rclinton; 05-25-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Bill Vett
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rclinton
I have a Porter cable random orbital buffer and the Adams three step polishing kit. I live in Jacksonville but work at Cherry Point. If you want to borrow the kit let me know and I'll hook up with you.

Very nice offer Anyone in Michigan that can help??? My offer still stands.. If you go to Michigan by way of Pennsylvania give me a shout......
Old 05-25-2010, 02:33 PM
robert123
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO you would have to rub the green pad on the paint a while before doing irreversible paint damage. Can you feel the scratches with your finger nail when you run it along the scratches? If you can the scratch is pretty deep and you may not get a 100% repair.A green pad is not very course and should not cause deep scratches. I got brave repaired many scratches by wetsanding and buffing. Posting a picture would help determine damage level.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:44 PM
jraschke11
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by rclinton

Very generous offer.

I just updated my profile to reflect my new move.

Pics inc tonight, I promise.

Quick Reply: Green Scotch Pad Used On The Paint?