Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are drilled and slotted rotors strictly for looks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 02:55 PM
TorchRedRocket
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Are drilled and slotted rotors strictly for looks?

I've always wondered this, and my logic and reasoning would lead me to believe that drilled and/or slotted rotors would be more fade resistant than standard rotors, but they would actually have a decreased stopping power. Wouldn't blank rotors have a stronger stopping power seeing as there is more surface area for the pads to contact? Any thoughts?
Old 07-10-2011, 03:21 PM
ScottJ97
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedRocket
I've always wondered this, and my logic and reasoning would lead me to believe that drilled and/or slotted rotors would be more fade resistant than standard rotors, but they would actually have a decreased stopping power. Wouldn't blank rotors have a stronger stopping power seeing as there is more surface area for the pads to contact? Any thoughts?
IIRC as the pads get hot they release a gas, which can reduce braking power if that gas gets trapped between the pad and the rotor. The slots are there to let the gas escape.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:32 PM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottJ97
IIRC as the pads get hot they release a gas, which can reduce braking power if that gas gets trapped between the pad and the rotor. The slots are there to let the gas escape.
Modern pads don't really do that anymore. These days slots are for increased bite and removing glazed material from the pads. Drilled holes are for looks and crack when the rotors get hot.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:34 PM
04 commemorative
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

If I put them on it would be for looks
Old 07-10-2011, 04:24 PM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have them because they look better
Old 07-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

You will find thousands of posts on this, it comes up a lot. Let me spare you from reading them all. The top two answers you will find to be:

1) Yes

and

2) No

From what Ive read my opinion (which is worth about what you're paying for it) is that the braking system is not really about friction per se, its about the heat generated from the friction. The kinetic energy from the motion of the car is converted to heat by the friction of the pads which is then absorbed into and then dissipated off the rotors. The mass of the rotor as well as the design effect how readily it can absorb then get rid of heat.

Drilling holes in them decreases the mass (as well as being problematic in that cracks often appear at the holes due to unequal cooling between the solid/drilled areas.

Cutting grooves decreases the mass less, but also decreases the contact area (and so the friction), so while they may heat up less, thats not the point, we want them to heat up as quickly as possible and still maintain the ability to dissipate that heat as rapidly as possible.

Its not like putting water on a fire, in that case you are trying to stop the fire. If you carry that analogy to braking, you get less energy converted to heat and so you get less reduction in the kinetic energy (slowing) of the vehicle (thats why the brakes aren't water cooled ).

Slots may help shed water better, which in that application should work better, I have no idea (Damn it Jim ! I'm a paramedic not an engineer).

I personally go with solid rotors.

If you are not tracking it, or pushing it down the mountain often, you are probably never going to notice any of the difference between all three types, and the slotted/drilled ones do look way better.

It goes without saying that with slotted/drilled rotors and "so called" dustless ceramic pads you will have less braking power particularly after repeated applications.

If you ever run out of a bank and need to commandeer a getaway vehicle, look for filthy front wheels. that will steer you towards a vehicle that converts motion to heat a whole lot better than a clean one
Old 07-10-2011, 06:37 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

I prefer Slots....and have 'em on all my cars.

Many race cars have slots.Not too many have drilled.

\db2
carolina
Old 07-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,300 Likes on 13,973 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

When I had them on my '00, I did so for the looks - wasn't really concerned whether they performed any better than the stock rotors. Never had any cracking problems with the drilled/slotted ones I had (Baer Eradispeeds).
Old 07-10-2011, 09:49 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Quality drilled rotors will probably not crack on a street car, but since the only quality rotors made anymore are high-end (Baers, et al), they shouldn't anyway. But to answer your question, yes, they are for looks, but I also doubt that 90%+ pf street cars would ever notice a difference between drilled, slotted, drilled and slotted or smooth anyway...
Old 07-10-2011, 11:54 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I have them for looks.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Rockbridge
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I have them for looks.
Anyone have pictures of the stock rotors and the drilled and slotted ones? Thanks!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:11 AM
BLKWDWZ06
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks mostly, and I can tell you that I have felt a negligible difference with my cross drilled slotted....

Get notified of new replies

To Are drilled and slotted rotors strictly for looks?

Quick Reply: Are drilled and slotted rotors strictly for looks?