Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Z06 Ti by-pass mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:53 PM
MDoe8
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting! Want to hear a video of that!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:49 PM
vr4z06
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default interested, but have to ship

This is awesome, just wish I could get it done in St. Louis...
My Ti pipes are off. anyway to ship out, have done and shipped back???
Thanks for checking!

Originally Posted by MySelfAffliction
Ok it's been a long time coming for this. We first had to work out all the little details with Quinn to get this done, after that was all settled we were waiting on the tubing to come in, then he had to go out of town for 2 weeks but alas he is back!

Myself and 2 other guys are going to be getting this done on Friday and Saturday. I will post pictures and video of before and after for you guys to give you an idea for future people wanting this done.

Here's the terms on this, because he doesn't have a lift (he normally works on dune buggies and sand rails which he just uses floor jacks for) Whoever wants this mod to be done will have to bring in the exhaust by itself off the car. He doens't want to risk damaging anyone's car using floor jacks. As of right now his pricing is quite fair. I will give you guys the price after we do this mod. This is a test for him to see if it's worth continuing for him and also how much money he has to spend to get this done for us. Like i said the pricing currently for the three members is VERY fair. It should stay the same in the future but I will wait till it is done to put that out to anyone else.

So for all you guys in SD or the surrounding areas looking to get this done, I reccomend you guys subscribing to this thread to keep an eye out on the pictures and video of his work and it will come with a final price for everyone!! I will have this video this weekend after the mod is done!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Triton4C
Racer

Originally Posted by vr4z06
Thanks for checking!
It's quite possible. I will ask him about this option for you! I'll give you a Pm saturday evening or on sunday about this.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Triton4C
Racer

Originally Posted by SDZ06Driver
Subscribed....

BTW.. Ive always wanted to do this..
Wow is that a butterfly valve? I'm not sure i'd want to do this since you are getting rid of some of the titanium by doing this plus you are only going to have two tips. I definately prefer having the quad tips!

As for the guys waiting for a sound clip, only 2 days away!!!
The following users liked this post:
jdwtx85 (09-18-2015)
Old 09-23-2010, 10:21 PM
MDoe8
Instructor

I was talking about sound clips of the butterfly valve above

I've got the modded ti on my car with longtubes and no cats and I like the sound. With a cam I bet it'd be the perfect loudness. I still think it's a tad too quiet yet.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Triton4C
Racer

Originally Posted by MDoe8
I was talking about sound clips of the butterfly valve above

I've got the modded ti on my car with longtubes and no cats and I like the sound. With a cam I bet it'd be the perfect loudness. I still think it's a tad too quiet yet.
any sound clips?
Old 09-23-2010, 11:21 PM
hattitude
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vr4z06
Thanks for checking!
I believe the shipping would be cost prohibitive.......

I bought a Ti exhaust from a CF member near Phoenix, Az.

UPS wanted to charge $168/per piece, to ship the exhaust to San Diego.

I wasn't about to pay $336 just to ship the exhaust. Luckily I had to travel to Tucson a week later and picked them up.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:52 PM
overBlown
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MDoe8
I have the modded ti as well. I think it's the perfect blend of sounds. To say it's hacking and ruining the exhaust seems crazy to me! It sounds much better than stock, way less airy.

However, I don't think it will suit your wants. You mentioned you want it louder at idle and cruising. Well, the modded ti sounds VERY close to an unmodded ti while cruising around. When you give it any gas at all, the difference is completely noticeable. And at WOT, it just screams and sounds amazing. Cruising around though, it can be very quiet, which is why i chose it. Best of both worlds.
All of this is very true. It sounds to me like the bypass mod on ti's won't be what you are looking for. When I was running them on my Z, I noticed that the idle and cruise volume wasn't much louder than normal. It was only under WOT that it really made a difference. As to which one to recommend, I can't really because I've only owned the Ti's and now the XS Power catback. The XS is also pretty mild while cruising yet unleashes hell under WOT. I'm interested in what you think of the modded Ti's.

Last edited by overBlown; 09-23-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:32 AM
MDoe8
Instructor

I actually have a video somewhere of my car doing a nice driveby. I'll have to find it and host it. I will be back in town Monday to do so.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Triton4C
Racer

Well one of the members on here has gotton his done, here's what it looks like via cell phone pic. I will get higher quality pictures tomorrow on mine once done! Also will include a video once it's on the car!!!!! So excited for this!
Old 09-24-2010, 10:51 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Default testimonials

more on topic

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2390012
Old 09-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Triton4C
Racer

Originally Posted by cor24vette
Thank you! Now i'm even more stoked about this. And as said before, this isn't just a group buy that is done after us few are done, this will probably be an on going mod Quinn will continue doing for people. I will get all those details worked out tomorrow for future people wanting this done! if you are interested just write a message on here!
Old 09-25-2010, 08:59 PM
74Weld
6th Gear

Ok. So I've done 3 of these so far.

It is not a very hard mod, but it takes a full 2 hrs to do the pair of bypasses.

If anyone else is interested in this feel free to contact me. I am a certified welder and have experience with Ti although mostly just in chambers.

I run a full Argon purge in the inside to make certain you won't run into issues down the road. Welding Ti is not rocket science, you just have to make sure you take certain steps or your exhaust will crack over time. This is due to the fact that Titanium crystalizes when you weld it if it is not backed by Argon.

Any other questions on it let me know.

$200 for the mod. I have 1.5" .065 Ti in stock

-Quinn
Old 09-25-2010, 11:20 PM
hattitude
Drifting

I had Quinn @ 74Weld do the Ti bypass mod on my exhaust today.

This mod was setup by Matt, MySelfAffliction, and I never met Quinn before today. I was impressed with his knowledge of welding and the skill with which they performed the mod. The welds looked just like the factory welds on the exhaust. It was a very professional job.

I won't get to put the exhaust on until next week sometime, so I can't comment on how it sounds. I will say if you are within driving distance to San Diego and want the Ti mod done, I recommend having Quinn do it for you.

Last edited by hattitude; 09-25-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:03 AM
Triton4C
Racer

Alright as I said I would post up some pictures and a video of the exhaust. All I gotta say is WOW. Quinn does some amazing work.

Now on to the car itself. At idle, the car sounds slightly louder. It did change the tone a bit though, it sounds like it's breathing easier and IMO sounds deeper/cleaner. Now part throttle and full throttle is where this mod shines. Part throttle you are able to finally hear this beautiful LS6 engine doing work. Has a nice tone with just enough decibels to enjoy without it being too loud. And at WOT it just SCREAMS!!

If you think your stock Ti's sound just too quiet but don't want something that is obnoxiously loud, this is the mod for you! With a cam install the idle will wake up even more. Here's pictures of my exhaust (mine needs some polishing compared to hattitudes lol)

Old 09-27-2010, 01:12 AM
Triton4C
Racer

Now for everyone curious of how the car sounds...well here's a video of it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWJRPAEuL8Y
Old 09-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Triton4C
Racer

There's gotta be some more people interested in the So Cal area!!! I think his price is absolutely fair. The results are just outstanding!

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Ti by-pass mod questions

Old 09-27-2010, 09:23 PM
vr4z06
Instructor

Default just a wish

There's gotta be some more people interested in the So Cal area!!! I think his price is absolutely fair. The results are just outstanding!
Wish I could find someone in St. Louis to do the welding... Shipping is too crazy!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:02 PM
hattitude
Drifting

Hey Matt....

FYI......... I posted this info, along with pics of my exhaust before & after, in the So-Cal section of this forum. I thought it would reach more people living close who have thought of this mod.

Thanks again for setting this up....
Old 09-27-2010, 11:50 PM
MDoe8
Instructor

Thanks for the vid. Mine sounds almost identical. Sounds even better under load!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 Ti by-pass mod questions