Hydrocarbon v. Carbon Fiber

Old 08-03-2010, 11:22 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 815 Likes on 384 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Default Hydrocarbon v. Carbon Fiber

I am getting ready to change out all of my stainless steel/chrome engine dressup to carbon fiber. I am looking at around $1200.00 all together. What I am not sure of is the difference in hydrocarbon and carbon fiber.

Also as I was shopping at different vendors, I found a prices difference on certain parts and thought I would order from a couple of different suppliers (all forum vendors). I also wonder if I order from two different vendors will the black CF match.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:32 AM
brian ns04
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6speed
I am getting ready to change out all of my stainless steel/chrome engine dressup to carbon fiber. I am looking at around $1200.00 all together. What I am not sure of is the difference in hydrocarbon and carbon fiber.

Also as I was shopping at different vendors, I found a prices difference on certain parts and thought I would order from a couple of different suppliers (all forum vendors). I also wonder if I order from two different vendors will the black CF match.
The long and short is Carbon Fiber is real and Hydrocarbon is fake. I have seen Hydrocarbon that looks good however. I guess it all comes down to your budget and how real do you want it to look.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:59 AM
(Lucy)
Account disabled by request Dec 2015

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest you talk to Pat at American Hydrocarbon he has both!! He is the best in the business and his customer service is top notch. Any questions you have I am sure he can answer, Also ask him and he might be able to send you a sample!!!

American Hydrocarbon: 1-813-476-5638
Old 08-03-2010, 03:58 PM
rdline
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Dragon
I suggest you talk to Pat at American Hydrocarbon he has both!! He is the best in the business and his customer service is top notch. Any questions you have I am sure he can answer, Also ask him and he might be able to send you a sample!!!

American Hydrocarbon: 1-813-476-5638
This gets beat to death as a debate and it really depends on your budget. I have hydro carbon fiber in engine bay and interior and I will only use Pat @ American Hydrocarbon , have herd some horror stories from other providers. I have not had any problems and Pat backs his work. To your question of ordering from different vendors, I would not because the match could be way off, get it from one vender and Pat can offer you prices on both ways , ships fast, reasonable and great support.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:02 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Hydo carbon is a decal like to over the original part

Carbon fiber is THE PART. Very light and very expesive.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:19 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,669 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rdline
This gets beat to death as a debate and it really depends on your budget. I have hydro carbon fiber in engine bay and interior and I will only use Pat @ American Hydrocarbon , have herd some horror stories from other providers. I have not had any problems and Pat backs his work. To your question of ordering from different vendors, I would not because the match could be way off, get it from one vender and Pat can offer you prices on both ways , ships fast, reasonable and great support.
Another thing to consider is that hydrocarbon or any other kind of dip procedure is used in many cars including the Corvette C6. It's a cosmetic option and isn't really a performance-based mod. True, there are actual carbon-fiber components to help reduce weight, however engine dress up and interior radio bezels, etc. mods are not really performance-based.

Pat does do great work and I'm sure on the other end of the scale there are some pretty bad after market options. However, I don't buy into the argument that hydro is not as good as real CF because hydro is used in GM production Corvettes. As mentioned, it's cosmetic.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:33 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

and real carbon fiber, the C/F weave patter is not vary viable.

Where that is the bases of the Hydro carbon, to see the weave pattern
Old 08-03-2010, 04:55 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I have had other companies want my business with hydrocarbon and have i tried them with a couple items.
The quality was no where near what Pat does and he will stand behind it.

Pat is the one who does all my hydro work on my double din bezels

My bezel Pat did for me

and one we just got back and sent out

Old 08-03-2010, 05:13 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

Another vote for Pat. I have some "real" CF in my bay and several pieces of hydro Pat did for me including my cowl, wipers, coolant tank and front filler plate. I couldn't be happier with the work and quality of Pat's customer service.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:38 PM
atmsrus1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me know when you are ready to sell the SS, I may be interested in some of it myself.

Thanks,
Russell
Old 08-03-2010, 05:44 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

$.02

Please polish the actual engine parts instead of some cheap "cover".

Please get real carbon.... -hydro "carbon fiber" is the furthest from the truth, and looks... great.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:30 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by c5BlackBeauty
Another vote for Pat. I have some "real" CF in my bay and several pieces of hydro Pat did for me including my cowl, wipers, coolant tank and front filler plate. I couldn't be happier with the work and quality of Pat's customer service.
I plan on contacting Pat tomorrow and placing an order. He is actually only about an hour north of me.

Originally Posted by atmsrus1
Let me know when you are ready to sell the SS, I may be interested in some of it myself.

Thanks,
Russell
I will do that. I will post a picture of the engine bay as it is now with the ss and after with the carbon fiber/hydrocarbon.

Originally Posted by ~Joshua
$.02

Please polish the actual engine parts instead of some cheap "cover".

Please get real carbon.... -hydro "carbon fiber" is the furthest from the truth, and looks... great.
I plan on polishing some items such as the alternator brackets and the belt tension pulley.

I am planning on the Battery/fuse box cover (all one piece), Brake Booster cover, Power Steering Cover, Radiator Support, Fender Covers, Intake Cover, Front Nose Trim piece and I found a set of CF cap covers. I presently have painted FRC and the two tanks that are in Torch Red and Clearcoated to match the body. I want to keep those as is. If they don't work with the new CF look I may have to change those also.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
I have had other companies want my business with hydrocarbon and have i tried them with a couple items.
The quality was no where near what Pat does and he will stand behind it.

Pat is the one who does all my hydro work on my double din bezels

My bezel Pat did for me

and one we just got back and sent out

that would be my bezel on its way to me and it will look fantastic with the kenwood 9960 nav and my FI gauges in it
thanx Dennis

Rick
Old 08-03-2010, 08:48 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by TR6speed
I plan on polishing some items such as the alternator brackets and the belt tension pulley.
I have a polished alternator bracket sitting here in front of me. Because the metal is porous, you can never get a perfect polish. There will always be some black areas where the pores are coming through. If you want to save yourself the BIG expense of polishing, I will be selling this one for $100 plus actual shipping.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Bakeman31
Instructor

Pat is the best, Great Service. I've had both and Pat has the complete set for your vette. Can't go wrong! Good luck.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:29 PM
liveaboard74
Drifting

Another vote for Pat.
Complete under hood and inside should be here this week.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:52 AM
blkvette98
Instructor

Default Pat Scorzetti

Another vote for Pat. I have a full engine bay with his work and its absolutely AWESOME. Will try to post some pics for you this weekend. Good guy to work with also!

Get notified of new replies

To Hydrocarbon v. Carbon Fiber

Old 08-04-2010, 11:24 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I want to pull the trigger and order the parts from Pat, I am just trying to think how the black carbon fiber will look with the Torch Red FRC, coolent and washer tanks.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:44 AM
AVENGER
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdline
I agree with "Blue Dragon" & "Redline"..... Pat is the man!!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:59 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I took everyones advice and contacted Pat earlier today. I will be placing an order on Friday. I will be tied up alday tomorrow ,so that is why Friday. I'll post a few before and after pictures.

Thanks for all the imput.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hydrocarbon v. Carbon Fiber