gravel truck got me this morning

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 10:30 AM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 188 Posts

Default gravel truck got me this morning

I got totally pelted with gravel by some inconsiderate truck driver.

lost the windshield, and have stone chips all over the nose, hood, headlight covers, fenders and mirrors.

I am beyond angry. The jackass had a waterfall of gravel coming off the back of his truck.

My insurance company has been called. They are sending an adjuster out to look at it.

Other than the typical sandblasting behind the tires and on the rocker panels the paint on this car was nearly perfect.

not any more.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:37 AM
fun01
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch! That sucks. Hope you got his plate number.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 138 Likes on 129 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Very sad, indeed
Old 08-16-2010, 10:43 AM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The first one hurts the worse. Karma.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:53 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been there....it sucks.
Hope you got their LP # and the name of the company.
Wonder if they are legally responsible.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,234 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by fun01
Hope you got his plate number.
I would be directing my insurance company towards the company that owns that gravel truck.

Good luck getting the car back in shape.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,576 Likes on 663 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

This happened to me when I had my 94' Camaro. The company did not want to pay and would not return phone calls until I sent a court appearance notice. They then sent me a check in the mail for the repairs. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:29 AM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I was in too much of a panic getting away from the truck to think to get its license plate number.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:31 AM
tremor1
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear that. The gravel trucks around here have "STAY BACK 200 FEET NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BROKEN WINDSHIELDS" painted on the back which is pretty much impossible to do. They don't police these trucks very well. I see them all the time dropping gravel etc. When I'm on my bike, I hate the ones putting out the fine grit that sandblasts me and the bike. Go after them! Good luck.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,576 Likes on 663 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by TraceZ
I was in too much of a panic getting away from the truck to think to get its license plate number.

That sucks.. when I got hit, I tried to get the guy to pull over, but he ignored me. So I got the plate number and filed a police report immediately.
Looks like insurance is the only option for you then. Maybe you could take this opportunity to do something special with the car.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:45 AM
csexton
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the repair

Chuck
Old 08-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Curvette1
Safety Car

Received 182 Likes on 91 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Old 08-16-2010, 12:42 PM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Shirl
That sucks.. when I got hit, I tried to get the guy to pull over, but he ignored me. So I got the plate number and filed a police report immediately.
Looks like insurance is the only option for you then. Maybe you could take this opportunity to do something special with the car.
As far as something special, I like it stock. What I think I will do, however is remove the body panels myself and deliver them to the body shop in my van for refinishing. Black paint does not have the color matching issues other colors do, so there is no need for them to have the whole car for any blending.

The adjuster is supposed to call me within 24 hours to come look at the damages and estimate repair costs.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:47 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Sorry for your misfortune and good luck with the repair
Old 08-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Remember, when replacing the windshield it requires a new weatherstrip and new side retainers. The side retainers are a critical part of the sealing system. The retainers are peel-n-stick and are what the weatherstrip tucks into. The process to remove the old adhesive strip and apply a new bead of special adhesive is too time consuming for windshield replacement.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:52 PM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jet-Jock
Remember, when replacing the windshield it requires a new weatherstrip and new side retainers. The side retainers are a critical part of the sealing system. The retainers are peel-n-stick and are what the weatherstrip tucks into. The process to remove the old adhesive strip and apply a new bead of special adhesive is too time consuming for windshield replacement.
And what is the best source and model windshield to get? It's HUD.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All you need to do is let them (glass company or insurance company) know you have a HUD system. The windshield is known as a "Shaded HUD" mostly made by Safelite.

Personally I would be sure to inquire if the installer(s) are familiar with 5th generation Corvettes or request someone who is proficient.

Couple of other tidbits. Depending on which rearview mirror model you have, determines how it comes off and is installed. The auto dimming mirrors are removed by holding them on each end rocking it while lift (not pulling), and during installation there is a loud audible click that indicates it is securely installed. If no click, then it will come free. Some have found it easier to remove after the windshield is removed. Installation of the mirror can be done before installation of the windshield, again the audible click is required. Make sure they are really careful with this.

The windshield replacement should come with a kit from GM and it contains the paint markers to cover up any marks in the windshield frame (A pillar) to prevent rust. You do not want rust.

From inside the vehicle the A pillar post trim are the only interior parts that come off, they snap on and off. These are the large black trim you see on the left and right side. Some times they take a little finesse to get them installed.

The weatherstrip along the side once removed, reveals the screws to remove the "reveal molding", if you are watching this happen for gawd's sake don't let them try to pry at the small triangle black parts, those pieces (the reveal molding) come off as a whole unit.

The wipers are removed by removing the nut then apply neutral pressure while lifting at the attach point. They come free really easy. If they don't then the right amount of neutral pressure and lift angle is not being applied. When installing, the nuts are torqued to 25Nm. You might want to clean up the nuts and fittings while they are removed. Most likely they will be rusted.

The vent cowl once the push fasteners are removed can be rotated and laid on the engine. They don't have to remove the water connections. Make sure you protect the fenders. I also put blue painters tape on the peak of the fender where it comes near the door and windshield. Just in case. When installing the cowl it tilts into the windshield and has clips that slip in then it is rolled down into position. Care must be used to not crack the windshield. The battery wall separation panel attaches to one of the push in fasteners, this one is a royal pain to secure.

Any other questions... ask, I've watched this done now four times.

Get notified of new replies

To gravel truck got me this morning

Old 08-16-2010, 02:48 PM
YNOT2K
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tremor1
The gravel trucks around here have "STAY BACK 200 FEET NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BROKEN WINDSHIELDS" painted on the back...
putting a sign on a gravel truck does not relieve them of the responsibility of damages they cause by not securing their load.

wait, maybe i'll put a sign on my vette that says "NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR RUNNING YOUR DUMB *** OVER IN CROSSWALKS". would that fly? don't think so!

jeff
Old 08-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Big Earl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YNOT2K
putting a sign on a gravel truck does not relieve them of the responsibility of damages they cause by not securing their load.

wait, maybe i'll put a sign on my vette that says "NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR RUNNING YOUR DUMB *** OVER IN CROSSWALKS". would that fly? don't think so!

jeff
Nice sign Jeff! Send me one for my Vette when you get them made.

Jeff is correct A sign does not completly relieve them of responsibility with an improperly secured load of anything. DMV in your state has many operating requirements for commercial vehicles.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:27 PM
CatCam
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by YNOT2K

jeff
I think I just shot coffee thru my nose!! : lol:

Quick Reply: gravel truck got me this morning