C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 CD Changer Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:48 PM
TrinkBoys
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 CD Changer Problem

Hi all,

New to the Forum and a new C5 owner. I just purchased my first Corvette and it is a 2000 FRC. It has the CD changer installed in the trunk, but it's not working. I can see that there is power at the changer since the lights are coming on. It appears that the magazine isn't seating properly. The changer does not try to load a disc. Anyone had this problem before? I was going to pull the changer out, but haven't gotten to it yet. I will ultimately use some type of iPhone/iPod connection, but haven't been through the research on options yet.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-18-2010, 02:47 PM
YOU 2 SLO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just picked up a C5 convertible on Monday that has the same problem, so I'm very interested in any replys you get.

Good luck, and enjoy the Vette.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:07 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Sure the CD's are in correctly, they go in just OPPOSITE of what you would normally think?
The following users liked this post:
JimHarris4 (09-02-2019)
Old 08-18-2010, 03:28 PM
TrinkBoys
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checked CDs

Yes, I checked that the CDs are installed label side down. I don't think it even gets to that point. The magazine doesn't "lock" into place when inserted into the changer. It sits in the magazine well, but isn't solidly in place. It kind of bounces in the slot and I have to close the outer door all the way just to get it to lower. It seems as though the magazine isn't fully loading. Therefore, the unit doesn't even try to load a CD.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:39 PM
CatCam
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Trink -
1st, Welcome to the Corvette World.....this forum is a wealth of info from all who have "been there, done that!"

To your issue at hand; A lot of us had (key word) the 12-disk CD changer and have had problems with it. Yours is 10 years old and has been subject to all the wear and tear of being in a car environment with heat and vibrations for this period. You can spend a lot of time, energy and money with this thing.....OR....you can upgrade to better technology. This is what most of us are doing.

Why? Easy, Better, and cost effective!!

What I and many others have done is to bypass the 12 Disk CD player and use our MP3 players. This is easly done!!

I just installed the PIE GM10AUX adapter.....WORKS GREAT!!! If you are interested, PM me an e-mail address and I'll send you photos of my install with a breakdown of everything you will need. Simple install and not having to hassle with the 12-disk is priceless.

Take Care,
CatCam
kelalex (06-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 138 Likes on 129 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

as for me i purchased the 12 disc, and wished i havent, yea its nothing but problems, i dont even use it anymore, hopefully you can fix yoyr problem
Old 08-18-2010, 05:45 PM
rickko
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you've got a mechanical problem getting it to lock the magazine in place. It should push in and lock.

Recently mine (6 yrs old) started to stop in middle of tracks. I have the GMPP warranty so it was covered 100%. The price would have been over $900 for the player plus labor otherwise.

Since your problem seems mechanical if it were me, I'd remove it and see if I could find the fix until I wired up MP3.

I have '97 Cadillac that has the exact same Delco 12-disk changer. The car (changer is now 13+ years old and still works like a fine Swiss watch, so don't give up. The unit might be repairable.

For grins I'd give these guys (La Jolla Audio) a call. For years, they have been the vendor where all GM dealerships in San Diego sent their audio problems, warranty or not. I have personal experience with them restoring old Delco audio equipment and recommend them. Since I don't believe there are any Supporting Vendors that do GM warranty audio repair I think its OK to include this link: http://lajollaaudio.com/contact.html Don't worry that you don't live nearby, they ship anywhere.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:56 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The CD Changer in my '99 C-5 that I just purchased is working fine. At first I thought I had a problem being this GM CD Changer looks very similiar to the (4) JVC C-D Changers that I have in my other vehicles. My problem was I loaded the C-D magazine up as I do with my JVC Changer Magazine and that was with the label side up. I found out really fast that the GM CD Changer would not work because of that. After speaking to the former owner who never used the CD Changer during the time he had the car he happened to mention about the CD's possibly being put into the unit the wrong way. At that point I am thinking no way and took a look at my downloaded '99 C-5 Manual on my PC and sure enough the GM CD Changer is the complete oposite of the JVC CD Changer being it accepts CD's with the Label side
down. I have to say I never saw any CD Player take a CD that way over the years. Even a single in dash CD Radio player take a CD with the label side up not down. DVD Players are the same way label side up. Anyway I am good to go now. As they say you learn something everyday.

To answer the question to this thread I would take the CD Changer out and bring it in or send it out for repair. There are plenty of places that should be able to fix your problem with your changer. One of my JVC Changers did the same thing a little while back not holding the CD magazine in the unit. It kept wanting to come out. I sent it back to JVC for repair. I wouldn't give up on it. There is a fellow on Ebay who fixes 6 Disc CD Radio's for $79 with return shipping and gives a 2 year warranty. Wouldn't hurt to contact him to see if he can fix it. There may even be a vendor on this forum that fixes Corvette Radio's and CD Changers that I am not aware of.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:21 AM
YOU 2 SLO
Racer

Default CD Changer

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
Sure the CD's are in correctly, they go in just OPPOSITE of what you would normally think?

I guess you need to be smarter than the equipment you're trying to operate. When I flipped the CDs over as you suggested the changer magically fixed itself.

Thanks,
vtech (03-12-2020)
Old 11-03-2010, 01:09 PM
ericw
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default CD changer fix

I just received my CD changer back from "Doctor Don's" in Huntsville TX. According to Doctor Don:
"Restoration for Your Multi Disc Changer is $175.00 plus $20.00 shipping.

The Clamper Assembly is responsible for keeping the disc in the tray as it transfers from tray to disc. If the Clamper is worn it will stick causing the disc to slide out of the tray. When tray is reloaded to magazine, the disc is pushed out falling below the spindle motor allowing the unit to pull another tray. once loaded, the two discs jam the unit usually causing gear damage and jumping time.
24 to 48Hr Turnaround
One Year Warranty"

My unit works like new again.
http://www.doctordons.com

Highly recommended.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:38 PM
Rob0702
Heel & Toe

Default CD Changer Issue

2003 C5 coupe-Mine was throwing "error" message on media screen. A friend gave me another changer with 12 disk magazine that was bench tested and certified working properly. I swapped it out with mine and I am having the same issue. What could be causing this?
Old 05-15-2017, 02:21 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rob0702
2003 C5 coupe-Mine was throwing "error" message on media screen. A friend gave me another changer with 12 disk magazine that was bench tested and certified working properly. I swapped it out with mine and I am having the same issue. What could be causing this?

I don't have the answer but are you 100% sure it was bench tested and in working order? Did you actually see it work? Before you spend anymore money try to find someone with a C5 whose 12 Disc CD Player works and take this unit you have and plug it into his or her system. Then you will know for sure if you have a bad unit and take it from there. It eliminates one of the problems. My 12 Disc CD unit is still working fine knock on wood.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:24 PM
WoodyJohnson
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If I remove this piece of junk, can I tap power/shut down and ground off of this CD changer's wiring to run a small amp that will power on with a new head?

Last edited by WoodyJohnson; 05-15-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:59 PM
lebeeby
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

There are a number of 12 disk changers for sale in the for sale section -- Leroy
Old 05-15-2017, 09:28 PM
vettpapaw
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm on my 3rd and last one. I was trying to keep it just because it was in the car when I bought it.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:51 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

I had the same "error" message when I owned a C5. Turns out I had the discs loaded incorrectly (upside down). The way you load the discs is critical to the operation of the unit. Try loading them so the label is down and the shiny side is up. If that doesn't work, try reverse and load again. Also, until you get it working, try loading only a few discs, like 3 or 4. Make sure the discs are in good working order by loading them into another player first.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:20 PM
vetintheblood
Burning Brakes

Location: Beavercreek Ohio Currently own: 1958 Silver Blue Corvette
Received 751 Likes on 252 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Dr Dons is the way to go. The sound is truly better. And it keeps your car original.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 CD Changer Problem

Old 05-16-2017, 09:19 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by roadbike56
I had the same "error" message when I owned a C5. Turns out I had the discs loaded incorrectly (upside down). The way you load the discs is critical to the operation of the unit. Try loading them so the label is down and the shiny side is up. If that doesn't work, try reverse and load again. Also, until you get it working, try loading only a few discs, like 3 or 4. Make sure the discs are in good working order by loading them into another player first.
Hope this helps.
I had the same problem I mentioned about 8 posts above back in 2010 on this old Thread. Hope he read that post and checked that possible problem off already. If he didn't he may of went through more trouble then he needed to go through for nothing. The reason these posts help people out with a problem we have already encountered.

Last edited by ffas23; 05-16-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:32 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Hate to open an old thread, but my 12 CD is not working in my just purchased 97. It loads fine but when I press the button on the radio it does nothing. CD's are loaded properly. The changer seats nicely and you can hear the discs load; Just nothing when I push the button on the dash? Could this still be an issue with the unit in the trunk or the radio itself? Not going to throw too much money at this with all the new tech out there now but it's nice to have everything working.
Thanks for any help.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:46 PM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I threw mine away and plugged in an iPod interface. Works famously.

Quick Reply: C5 CD Changer Problem