C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vararam quality is bad--

Old 08-19-2010, 11:53 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As long as the stupid thing doesn't fall apart, it's good enough for me. I'm not showing my engine bay off, and the thing works great!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:03 PM
corvettepete
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard the Vararam does its job but has spotty quality. That has scared me away. I'm trying to find a Callaway Honker for my '99 coupe but EVERYONE seems to be back ordered on it.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:56 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettepete
I've heard the Vararam does its job but has spotty quality. That has scared me away. I'm trying to find a Callaway Honker for my '99 coupe but EVERYONE seems to be back ordered on it.
Try this member...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...k-up-only.html
Old 08-19-2010, 01:06 PM
VaraRam Industries
Supporting Vendor

Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'11-'12

(Rivets)
The Front of the B2 system is designed to breakaway in a heavy impact.
The rivets location forces the system to breakaway under the vehicle under heavy impact VS going up through the hood.
This is why its Riveted on the top side only using the GM OEM air deflectors which are also impact resistant.

We have had some customers who were unfortunate enough to have tested this over the yrs and each time the system broke away as it was designed to do.

The B-2 system is a labor intensive product, which requires intensive amount of hand labor to produce.

Unlike some of our other systems which are Rotary molded etc.. which do not require this same type of labor.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One person posted pictures of their VR awhile back and that is when I was 100% settled on never getting one. To me performance includes integrity and peace of mind. This system lacks both completely IMO. Halltech for me when I upgrade.

-Alex
Old 08-19-2010, 01:46 PM
MagRedConv
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by VaraRam Industries
(Rivets)
The rivets location forces the system to breakaway under the vehicle under heavy impact VS going up through the hood.
This is why its Riveted on the top side only using the GM OEM air deflectors which are also impact resistant.

We have had some customers who were unfortunate enough to have tested this over the yrs and each time the system broke away as it was designed to do.

The B-2 system is a labor intensive product, which requires intensive amount of hand labor to produce.

Unlike some of our other systems which are Rotary molded etc.. which do not require this same type of labor.
That's interesting. One would think that as to make all units exact in specs. that it would be molded. This (lack of a mold to guarantee spec. conformity unit after unit) is probably why there are so many varied opinions.

IMO, it would be in Vararam's best interest to invest in a mold to guarantee a perfect fit install after install, not to mention reduce production costs. Otherwise one runs the risk of getting one that was "built on a Friday".

Last edited by MagRedConv; 08-19-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:57 PM
corvettepete
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
Thanks for the tip, but a few minutes after posting here, got an email from West Coast Corvettes that my Honker shipped. $449 to forum members.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Thanks for the tip, but a few minutes after posting here, got an email from West Coast Corvettes that my Honker shipped. $449 to forum members.
$450 for a CAI???
Old 08-19-2010, 05:17 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 08-19-2010, 06:40 PM
PETE O.
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
I wish I had a buck for every post about how the build quality is for what they charge, I would be a rich man.
You already are a rich man, Mr. Bill, you're healthy and you own a Corvette, a very nice Corvette.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:49 PM
PETE O.
Drifting

Originally Posted by VaraRam Industries
(Rivets)

Uhhhhhh, this kinda sounds like B.S., if you hit something hard enough to force the CAI up through the hood you'd have a whole lot more to worry about than replacing the hood, I would think. Oh well, I've put different CAIs on several rigs of mine and didn't notice enough difference to justify the expense. I kept thinking each one would make a diffrence, but....... I think I'll leave mine alone and buy a case of Jack.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:04 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 212 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by 209TIME!!!
when i bought mine, i opened the box and looked at it and just started shaking my head at the quality.
I did the same, then sealed it back up, shipped it back for a refund. Then I found a used Vortex Rammer for less than 1/2 the cost and much better quality.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:24 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PETE O.
Uhhhhhh, this kinda sounds like B.S., if you hit something hard enough to force the CAI up through the hood you'd have a whole lot more to worry about than replacing the hood, I would think. Oh well, I've put different CAIs on several rigs of mine and didn't notice enough difference to justify the expense. I kept thinking each one would make a diffrence, but....... I think I'll leave mine alone and buy a case of Jack.
You obviously haven't seen how they're installed.

They literally bolt directly up to the bumper fascia and there isn't much wiggle room between the vararam and the intake bridge. A 20MPH hit will push the vararam up enough to push it through when normally a 20MPH hit wouldn't touch the hood... Take my word on it. After I installed the unit, I understood why it was designed they way it is. Keep in mind that there's about a foot of room between where the ducts come together and the bumper fascia. So a front end impact that would only hurt the bumper could also hurt the hood in an accident.

In addition, more damage could be done than just the hood-hole if the unit didn't break apart with a front-end impact. The bumper fascia is obviously going to get destroyed either way, but the radiator shroud and everything under it could be damaged too because of the angle that the ducts are at and how they are held up by the bumper fascia.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to comment here because I have been modifying cars going on ten years now. Ranging from Firebirds to trucks and the Vararam for the money is the best CAI out there. It has way more going on than a stupid plastic air cover. The other units have a higher "quality" because they are generally one piece and suck air from an already established location under the shroud. The Vararam has to completely reroute the entire track. If you don't like the rivets get a z06 screen or paint them black. These posts are silly comparing apples to oranges. I have installed two now and 100% of the install sealing comes down to intstaller. There are also three different generations. Steve is hands down the best vendor I have EVER worked with. What is it you people want for 250? I have almost $5000 in mods to my Z06 and the vararam is by far the best/affordable mod. I really wonder what it is you think 250 buys.

OK RANT OVER.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:13 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 209TIME!!!
when i bought mine, i opened the box and looked at it and just started shaking my head at the quality.
As did I. I then packaged it back up and put it up for sale in the Parts section. Didn't really want something like that on my car.
Ed
Old 08-19-2010, 09:06 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06Electron
I have to comment here because I have been modifying cars going on ten years now. Ranging from Firebirds to trucks and the Vararam for the money is the best CAI out there. It has way more going on than a stupid plastic air cover. The other units have a higher "quality" because they are generally one piece and suck air from an already established location under the shroud. The Vararam has to completely reroute the entire track. If you don't like the rivets get a z06 screen or paint them black. These posts are silly comparing apples to oranges. I have installed two now and 100% of the install sealing comes down to intstaller. There are also three different generations. Steve is hands down the best vendor I have EVER worked with. What is it you people want for 250? I have almost $5000 in mods to my Z06 and the vararam is by far the best/affordable mod. I really wonder what it is you think 250 buys.

OK RANT OVER.

I got the most bang for the buck with my Vararam which I bought used for $230 shipped when it was still way above $250 new.

Regardless of it's appearance, once installed it's solid.

The difference between a Vararam over the Vortex Rammer I had before was incredible. Going up against my friends 97 Procharged C5 6-speed was - to say the least - embarrassing to him. My nearly bone stock Z06 with a Vararam and short shifter stayed door to door with his car. He had a passenger, but even still, the Vararam really DOES work. If I had the choice to do it again, I would.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:26 PM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tslick98
Another reason i went with the Callaway Honker.
Another vote for the Honker. I considered the Vararam for about 5 seconds before I ponied up the extra $$ for a well designed and well made CAI.

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam quality is bad--

Old 08-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HEY EVERYONE GUESS WHAT?

I just bought a GUCCI wallet because the build quality is soooo much better. Yeah I mean I could have gone Calvin Klein but I mean come on the Gucci is just WAY BETTER quality, yeah it cost twice as much and is made from the leather off the same cow, assembled by the same 12 year old Korean workers, but it is much better because at twice as much $$$ it has much better build quality.

Anyone that thinks their $500 intake is better than my $250 intake is more than welcome to put there money where their mouth is at the local strip. If you want something pretty that doesn't work go buy a $34 metal intake off ebay, why spend $500, or better yet go buy another car like a Lexus and get the hell off a Corvette forum.

BTW I'd strap a dead Deer to the hood of my car if it had proven results to make my car go faster...

Rant x2 over
Old 08-20-2010, 07:08 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06Electron
HEY EVERYONE GUESS WHAT?

I just bought a GUCCI wallet because the build quality is soooo much better. Yeah I mean I could have gone Calvin Klein but I mean come on the Gucci is just WAY BETTER quality, yeah it cost twice as much and is made from the leather off the same cow, assembled by the same 12 year old Korean workers, but it is much better because at twice as much $$$ it has much better build quality.

Anyone that thinks their $500 intake is better than my $250 intake is more than welcome to put there money where their mouth is at the local strip. If you want something pretty that doesn't work go buy a $34 metal intake off ebay, why spend $500, or better yet go buy another car like a Lexus and get the hell off a Corvette forum.

BTW I'd strap a dead Deer to the hood of my car if it had proven results to make my car go faster...

Rant x2 over
Or go get trophy wife. LOL
Old 08-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Going up against my friends 97 Procharged C5 6-speed was - to say the least - embarrassing to him. My nearly bone stock Z06 with a Vararam and short shifter stayed door to door with his car.
Wow, so rather than spend $6000.00 on a supercharger and adding 150 horsepower, I can just buy a Vararam!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vararam quality is bad--