Submit your Park Smart rules and

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Submit your Park Smart rules and

What are your Smart park rules.. I know they seem obvious to you but a list might make some people avoid grief.. if they list what they do repeating would be a good thing here, because it would show newbies and others just what smart parking is all about... and maybe the consensus on parking out in the boonies and taking up two spots..
there are positives and negative to how we park our Corvette so lets here your rules
here are some of mine

1)Try to park on the right end not the left end.. chances are there is no one on the passenger's side of the car to your left
2)Never park next to a 2 door car
3)Never park down hill
4)Consider a gust of wind can throw open a door as someone it trying to get in or out.
5)Never park out in the boonies.
6)Never take up two spots.. ( was not going to post this because it seems like a no brainier ) yet many people say the take up two spots.
7)Never make your car appear to be special
8)Always park as close to foot traffic as possible ( they are your security eyes)
9)If I am not comfortable with the spots that remain I don't park.
10)Do not park next to a cart collection station. ( Ive seen people push their cart from across the lane and it winds up hitting a car next to the collection station..
Edit
11) Never, I mean Never take your car to a movie theater in the evening where lots of kids hang out, often wanting to impress the ladies and their piers with the "can you top this challenge".. It never happened to me but have seen evidence of horrible things done to car by these kids.. " God's Children " with too many raging hormones.

You can cut and paste from others here if this is what you do.
Have fun, remember these rules will help other members consider how to park. no rules are right are wrong here.
Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 08-31-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:05 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I always round up any stray carts that even look like they could be an issue

Never under a light pole ( bird **** )
Old 08-30-2010, 08:07 AM
Stan MI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When parking where there are shopping carts try and park in a high spot. Back part of the lot is not always the safest. Sometimes that just means the stray cart has more momentum.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:24 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 915 Likes on 451 Posts

Some common sense rules (which is obviously sorely absent in today's society), but remember they can and will be defeated by the morons of the world.
We were at a restaurant last week and they had a small extra parking lot that had ONE car in it. I parked far away from that car and when I came back out there were now three cars in the whole lot.
Guess where that third car was parked???
Amazing.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:15 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Back in when possible, keep from getting your NOSE scraped.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Stay away from trees (sap + birds + falling limbs + squirrels).
Old 08-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never park on a hooker, no matter how drunk you are.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:12 PM
BitViper
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mann.. I thought I was the only loonie with parking rules.. I drive my wife crazy sometimes...

I follow nearly all of the OP's rules with some modifications..

1. I dont park in the boonies but I do park far out.. if you look at a parking lot there is always a DMZ a place whet most people think its too far to park and thats where I park.. never closer that two car spaces..
2. I will park to the left of someone buy only if its an end space.. and then I cheat over left just a bit
3. I will park down hill but only where there is a planter between my space and the rest of the parking lot.
4. I agree.... taking up two spaces is just asking for the A$$hole to come over and key your car
5. I will use valets only at a nice place's but I warn them that my car has a ignition disable'er and they will only get to move my car once to park it (cuz I wont show them how to re-enable the starter).... that way it nearly always end up parked up front.. with the Ferraris and Benz's .. I pick up the key walk over and start her up myself.. I live near Del Mar Ca and Rancho Santa Fe. so the company is high priced
Old 08-30-2010, 01:53 PM
wit2pz
Le Mans Master

When limited spaces are available, park next to a nicer, well maintained-looking car.

When space is limited and it's possible, park next to or near classic cars. Respect and admiration is mutual, most of the time.

If you park nose-in, learn where the end of your nose is and try to stop before you scrape.

Avoid vans, trucks, and SUV's!
Old 08-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

If you park in a double row parking spot, make sure the back of your C5 is facing the middle; the driver of the vehicle that parks opposite you cannot easily see the nose of a C5 and therefore cannot judge how close his or her vehicle's front end is to your C5's nose.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:34 PM
T5Mika
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Heh, I don't really care for how I park my vert. With my metal cars I'm extra careful to get the end row or next to a wide disabled spot since they get dings from just looking at them wrong and it's a chore to open up the door and massage the dings out. But the fiberglass wonder just gets little paint nicks at most.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:40 PM
mschamberger
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SDZ06Driver
4. I agree.... taking up two spaces makes you look like an A$$hole and is just asking for some A$$hole to come over and key your car
Fixed it for you.

For the comprehension impaired, I am in fact agreeing with Driver, not call him names.

Last edited by mschamberger; 08-31-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:09 PM
RoadReady
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No. 7 How do you make a Corvette NOT look special?

Old 08-31-2010, 12:47 AM
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Never park close to an old couple in a lumber yard.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:19 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I also subscribe to the "drop the wife off and circle or go to the north 40 and wait"!! I stay with the car often!! Other wise,,E.T. pretty well summed up my practices!!
Old 08-31-2010, 12:48 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just park in the handicapped spot and hang my permit on the mirror.

If ones not available I find an end spot and park as far as possible away from the closest car with out getting outside the lines.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Zer0vette
Instructor

my #1 rule... Only park in my driveway or in my garage. i never leave my car any place where i can't sit and watch it.

Get notified of new replies

To Submit your Park Smart rules and

Old 08-31-2010, 02:43 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

[QUOTE=Evil-Twin;1575165617]

8)Always park as close to foot traffic as possible ( they are your security eyes)

These two I believe are subjective. Especially when vandalism might be a concern. I know this is more for vettes that are daily drivers than other cars, but sometimes you HAVE to take your vehicle to a place that's less than optimal security.

I'd also Like to add, when i see another sports car (especially a vette) I prefer to park next to them or nose-to-nose (leaving plenty of room for doors but discouraging walking between noses/tails. The logic here is that owners of nice cars will tend to be more careful when opening/closing doors etc.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:03 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

[QUOTE=theradioflyer;1575180812]
Originally Posted by Evil-Twin

These two I believe are subjective. Especially when vandalism might be a concern. I know this is more for vettes that are daily drivers than other cars, but sometimes you HAVE to take your vehicle to a place that's less than optimal security.

I'd also Like to add, when i see another sports car (especially a vette) I prefer to park next to them or nose-to-nose (leaving plenty of room for doors but discouraging walking between noses/tails. The logic here is that owners of nice cars will tend to be more careful when opening/closing doors etc.
#5 and #8 are my rules.. not necessarily anyone elses... Ive seen people throw eggs,and bottle of water and even fries and ketchup, and a beer can. at cars parked out in the boonies..
Parking close but smart will help were some coward might vandalize your car if its out aways from foot traffic.. BTW My car is 10 years old, has 80,000 miles on it...I take it eveywhere, just about. it does not have one nick or ding on it.. these rules that I have developed I have developed over 50 years of driving nice cars.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:35 PM
LisaJohn
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '10

Here's my opinion for what it's worth---If you can't park it you shouldn't be driving it.
L

Quick Reply: Submit your Park Smart rules and