Sponsored by:

I have had it with this car!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 12:47 AM
DJLAW202
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have had it with this car!

I'm done, cant take this bull**** anymore.

I'm doing this stupid f'ing fix:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...t-problem.html

I bought Dickman's brass gear. The thing goes up and down a couple times then starts acting up again. Will now not raise again. The you can just see and hear the thing spinning. So I know have hours wasted and invested in this POS and it still doesn't work.

I end up taking the whole headlight assembly apart b/c the genius who said it was not necessary must have girly hands to work in that small space.

To top it off, the god damn headlight cover snapped right off the where the two screws attach into the housing.

Im fed up.

This POS is getting traded in.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:56 AM
davis31b
Instructor

dude.. you can't give up just because your headlights aren't going up or coming down. If you can't get it fixed, then pay the experts to fix it, so it doesn't cause you to light your car on fire!
Old 09-04-2010, 01:03 AM
leeinmemphis
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had similar feelings about the HL on my coupe recently as well.I did the brass gear upgrade and now I have one that won't come up at all and one that comes up fine but when you turn it off it goes down and then half way back up. I had it in the shop this week to have them help me figure it out. They got them to working again and two days later they are not working again. I threw in the towel and ordered a set of fixed headlights DEPOS and a set of HID headlights for it.

I'll pull the gears out and sell them in the classifieds in here.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:15 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Sorry you are having issues with an 11 year old car.
When I did the gears on my son's car we took out the whole motor, It was a snap.
Is it possible you got things a bit mis-adjusted?
Old 09-04-2010, 01:17 AM
0331MARINE
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: You know your drunk when you swerve to miss the tree then you realize its your air freshener! Covington Ga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll take it off your hands and even pay for shipping! Just slow down and take your time. Its an easy fix. Like Mr. Bill said, its easy if you take out the motor. I have done it for a few people on the forum.

Last edited by 0331MARINE; 09-04-2010 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:29 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

If you removed the entire headlight assembly, which is not hard, and took it apart and work carefully like the instructions said, you shouldn't have had any problems. I did this mod on my car and it has worked perfectly from the first time I turned on my lights. You probably just need to revisit this operation without trying any shortcuts.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:44 AM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same feelings as the OP for a few seconds when I found out I had to do my clutch over because I screwed up the pilot bearing.

Then I thought to myself "No,you just do it RIGHT this time,Dumba$$".

And after that,it was all good,but it WAS touch and go for a second or two....
Old 09-04-2010, 02:00 AM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I feel your pain. Got a couple issues on mine as well that are giving me fits. Took care of one by buying new parts instead of used. Now the other two are a bad headlight casing and the other is the dreaded intermittent no start. I have a thread on the no start issue. More money spent there.

Headlight issue is thus. Had passenger side go bad, or so I thought. Anyway, took it all apart and installed new brass gear and put it back together. Worked fine for a couple months and then no raise again. Got it home and looked at it real close and I see the epoxy didn't hold up. On a road trip and low and behold the epoxy fails yet again. This time when I remove it all and do it again I will try a few more things along with a better quality epoxy and try again.
It really isn't hard to remove the whole assembly and reinstall. Just remember where the parts go by either drawing a diagram, taking lots of pictures or using the FSM's or all three in my case since I have a bad case of CRS most days.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:02 AM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Roid rage?
Old 09-04-2010, 02:40 AM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JMc
Roid rage?
Old 09-04-2010, 05:37 AM
Fat Finger
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Have a beer, or two. Then try again.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:00 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by DJLAW202
I'm done, cant take this bull**** anymore.

I'm doing this stupid f'ing fix:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...t-problem.html

I bought Dickman's brass gear. The thing goes up and down a couple times then starts acting up again. Will now not raise again. The you can just see and hear the thing spinning. So I know have hours wasted and invested in this POS and it still doesn't work.

I end up taking the whole headlight assembly apart b/c the genius who said it was not necessary must have girly hands to work in that small space.

To top it off, the god damn headlight cover snapped right off the where the two screws attach into the housing.

Im fed up.

This POS is getting traded in.
Biography
27 YEARS OLD BORN AND RAISED IN PHILADELPHIA. ATTENDED IN NORTHEAST CATHOLIC HIGH SCHOOL THEN WIDENER UNIVERSITY. I AM AN ACCOUNTANT FILL TIME, I INVEST IN REAL ESTATE ON THE SIDE AND ALSO DJ.

So Keith, what exactly is it that went wrong?

Really, don't dump the whole car just because you can't fix it...take it to someone who Can fix it...and bring them a set of brass gears to install correctly and that will solve the problem permanently

Last edited by Yello95; 09-04-2010 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:10 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Simple fix:

http://www.myhotcorvette.com/Depo/He...lights/535370/
Old 09-04-2010, 08:14 AM
4 KRUSIN
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goody
Headlight issue is thus. Had passenger side go bad, or so I thought. Anyway, took it all apart and installed new brass gear and put it back together. Worked fine for a couple months and then no raise again. Got it home and looked at it real close and I see the epoxy didn't hold up. On a road trip and low and behold the epoxy fails yet again. This time when I remove it all and do it again I will try a few more things along with a better quality epoxy and try again.
Same thing happened to me. However, this time I did not use epoxy. I siliconed the cap back on to keep it water tight and then used 3 wire ties chris-crossed around the housing to keep it in place. So far, so good. This pic shows the details. When I get a bit of time, I will replace the ties with black ones. (also need to do some detailing in this area)

Old 09-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends on the value of your time and anguish, why not just swap out the motor with a new one from GM. I think a discounted new one is around $160., it takes about 30 minutes to swap each one out. I did. So I'll enjoy another 8-10 years of worry free headlamps. To me, it was worth the extra cost. I rebuilt the motors on my 93 C4, so I've been through the process. BTW, if one goes the other is just a month behind it, so do them both at the same time.

Yes it helps to have smaller hands if you want to go through the assembly to replace.

Good luck, headlamp motors are probably not a great reason to trade a car but the choice is yours.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:55 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

How much do you want for your Vette?

You will probably get more by selling it to a private party then to trade it in, I am sure that a new owner will look at just having to fix a headlight as a steal

It's okay because a Vette just isn't for everyone, I am sure you can find another vehicle with "NO" problems, and HECK with the HYUNDAI extended warranty you can get many many miles of trouble free driving in and when a problem arises you can take it back to the dealer and have them fix it for you.

Let us know what you get for your Vette and what awesome ride you replace it with

Thanks,Matt
Old 09-04-2010, 09:32 AM
LisaJohn
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '10

You owe the cuss jar big bucks!

Get notified of new replies

To I have had it with this car!

Old 09-04-2010, 09:54 AM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LisaJohn
You owe the cuss jar big bucks!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Rodney Dickman has a metal bracket to hold better than epoxy if you need it. You can even buy it seperately. I suspect this (epoxy coming loose) is your problem.

I feel your pain, a lot of guys preface that method with, "if you have small hands", I had to take whole assembly out.

Hope you get it fixed, I would not let such a small problem keep you from enjoying your Corvette. When I first pulled up this post, I expected to see that you had experienced EVERY common problem. My Corvette has 128,000 miles and only 2 problems: 1 headlight gear (still waiting on other to go) and 1 oil pressure sensor. It has been the most reliable car I ever owned !

Hang in there !
Old 09-04-2010, 10:54 AM
VinnyT
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat Finger
Have a beer, or two. Then try again.

Quick Reply: I have had it with this car!