Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Active Handling

Old 09-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Village1
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Active Handling

On my 2004, I am constantly getting the message to Service Active Handling. I took it to Mr Goodwrench and recieved no help. In addition, the cruise control is frequently disengaging for no apparent reason. Again, no help from Mr Goodwrench. Any suggestions?

Codes are 28 TCS C1287 Steering Sensor Rate Malfunction; and 60 IPC B0521 Tachometer Signal Circuit Malfunction.

Last edited by Village1; 09-07-2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Update
Old 09-07-2010, 05:09 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Pull the codes and report back.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Tim01Coupe
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the message constantly and found a corroded ground. Driver's side, near the steering linkage, on top of the frame. But I yield to the previous suggestion, pull the codes first and report back!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:30 PM
herZ06
Racer

i get it too, on my 2001. i just turn that crap off and move on!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:31 AM
50th_Vert
Instructor

Originally Posted by herZ06
the active handling is there to save your life. leave it on unless your a professional, or your doing a few donuts
Old 09-08-2010, 08:49 AM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

You need to replace your SWPS sensor. It is located at the bottom of the steering column. Its a $60.00 part but its two hours labor. They DIY is available here on the forumn. I had the same problem.

Codes are 28 TCS C1287 Steering Sensor Rate Malfunction;
Old 09-08-2010, 08:59 AM
tricep
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

After about 20 starts (or so) it will go away, but you'll notice that it isn't working.

Get it fixed. It'll keep coming back until you replace the sensor. There are a number of other things that it could be within the system, but I'm sure the codes will have been thrown and available for your viewing pleasure.

It ain't safe to drive w/o. Trust me.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:57 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Silly answer
Old 09-08-2010, 05:50 PM
98blownvette
Instructor

I drive with mine off all the time. If you trust it to help you to drive you are setting yourself up for failure because you can and possibly will get an accident. I do see what others are saying though as to leaving it on for a safety measure. Just don't rely on it to help you all the time, there is only so much that system can handle by saving you. If you are a terrible crappy driver it won't help you.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:04 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

Originally Posted by tricep
Get it fixed.
It ain't safe to drive w/o. Trust me.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

I don't recall the exact code that caused the same warning on mine but it was related to the steering sensor on the column. I also re-did the ground under the hood and (as suggested in a thread) then disconnected the sensor's harness a few times and reconnected. Apparently it gets some corrosion that breaks the connection.

It is that harness connection down at the base of the column to the left.

Haven't had the code re-appear yet.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:48 AM
herZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by 50th_Vert
the active handling is there to save your life. leave it on unless your a professional, or your doing a few donuts
my active handling that's supposed to "save me" does just the opposite. It kicks in and puts me in situations that, if I were a crappy driver, I would have crashed when it did. I know it's messed up, I don't have the $ to fix it or care to spend the $ to fix it even if I did have it, so I just turn it off and avoid it. I've been doing this for months... and I haven't had any issues.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:07 AM
98blownvette
Instructor

I just think its a false sense of security. If you are going to be messing around in your car at least get to know your car then do it. Or do it or practice in school parking lots!
Old 09-09-2010, 06:59 AM
tricep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

You guys with all the "I don't need the car thinking for me" B.S are delusional.

Sounds to me like you are NOT using your cars as DD's in everyday situations with a lot of weather and a lot of traffic.

I know people just like you who think that way. I have also seen people who think that way lose control of their Vettes because they were remembering how it was "back in the day" with their old Camaros, Challengers, Chargers, Novas, Mustangs, etc..etc..

I would love make an offer for you to show me how you "handle" your cars like some kind of professional race car drivers with the AH off.

Let me grab my video camera while wer'e at it.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:00 AM
tricep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

my active handling that's supposed to "save me" does just the opposite. It kicks in and puts me in situations that, if I were a crappy driver, I would have crashed when it did. I know it's messed up, I don't have the $ to fix it or care to spend the $ to fix it even if I did have it, so I just turn it off and avoid it. I've been doing this for months... and I haven't had any issues.

you forgot one word: "yet"
Old 09-09-2010, 03:10 PM
kh400
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree with this writer. The problem with this system is, when it does fail, it applies one of the front brakes suddenly and can create a real problem for the driver. I also leave the sytem off to avoid this happening.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Possibly how this driver felt too....I dunno...

http://www.kgw.com/home/Beaverton-fa...-97526704.html

This paragraph could indicate this:
Witnesses told police a black Corvette was westbound on Jenkins and barely stopped for a red light at Murray. McGrew turned right onto Murray and accelerated. He lost control, fishtailed across all lanes and crashed into a cement retaining wall.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling

Old 09-09-2010, 03:41 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

For the OP

The C1287 is, as mentioned earlier, typical of the steering wheel position sensor failing. I have the same issue. If the SWPS shows a fault it kicks out the AH. You soemetimes feel a little twitch as it drops out. The cruise control relies on a functional AH so the trip will kick out the cruise control. Its a symptom of the problem not a cause.

You can DIY change the SWPS but it means pulling the steering column. Not for the faint hearted. You may want a dealer to fix it?
Old 09-09-2010, 03:42 PM
garage-ghost
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tricep
You guys with all the "I don't need the car thinking for me" B.S are delusional.

Sounds to me like you are NOT using your cars as DD's in everyday situations with a lot of weather and a lot of traffic.

I know people just like you who think that way. I have also seen people who think that way lose control of their Vettes because they were remembering how it was "back in the day" with their old Camaros, Challengers, Chargers, Novas, Mustangs, etc..etc..

I would love make an offer for you to show me how you "handle" your cars like some kind of professional race car drivers with the AH off.

Let me grab my video camera while wer'e at it.

Amen my friend.
I know some SMART professional race car drivers that never turn it off on their DD.

Last edited by garage-ghost; 09-09-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:12 PM
98blownvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Oh 2 Fun
Possibly how this driver felt too....I dunno...

http://www.kgw.com/home/Beaverton-fa...-97526704.html

This paragraph could indicate this:
Witnesses told police a black Corvette was westbound on Jenkins and barely stopped for a red light at Murray. McGrew turned right onto Murray and accelerated. He lost control, fishtailed across all lanes and crashed into a cement retaining wall.
It doesn't protect you from straight stupidity. Speed and possible alcohol were involved. Again just because you have this doesn't make you a better driver or make the car handle turns at stupid speeds. If you are the stereotypical vette owner then by all means leave it on. But if you got any common sense and know your car you don't need this system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Active Handling