Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag cover melting!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:18 PM
KN6VV
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by highlanderc
will home depot have this goo off 2 or similar product?

How about h7 degreaser? Will that work?
I am not familiar with this h7 degreaser. Check the label to see if it is water base...not petrolium based. Petro based chemicals would not be recommended for plastic materials.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:25 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by highlanderc
will home depot have this goo off 2 or similar product?

How about h7 degreaser? Will that work?
Any water-based vinyl cleaner will probably do the trick.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:35 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I am having the same issue with my '01. It is garaged kept, not a daily driver and it has never had Armour All used on it.

I have only used Adams Detail products on my 2001. I posted on the Adams Forum and there are some top notch detail people on that forum. If there is an answer I hope I can get it there. I will post up what ever I learn.

Last edited by BWF07; 03-29-2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Add Inf
Old 05-09-2012, 09:10 AM
vette2615
1st Gear

Default Melting Airbag cover

I just purchased an 03 and had the same problem with the sticky airbag cover on the steering wheel. I used dish soap and water and a Mr Clean eraser. What really worked the best, however, was just plain old elbow grease with a dry bath towel. It took about an hour, but the cover came clean and all stickiness gone. The cover dulled up a bit but at least it's no longer sticky. Suggestion; pull the horn fuse while cleaning to keep from beeping the horn all the time. It really takes some serious rubbing to get it clean.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:16 AM
AmethystVette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just recently fixed mine with regular ole Goof Off.. Scrubbed off all the crud then I hit it with some vinyl protectant and it is like new now.

Seems like a lot of Florida owners have this problem. Could it be a "tropical ozone" issue?

Last edited by AmethystVette; 05-12-2012 at 11:21 PM. Reason: fixed it
Old 05-09-2012, 11:36 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I stay away form Armorall, had a bad experience over 20 years ago. I had put it on some rubber parts and put them in a zip lock bag for long term storage. Within a year the plastic zip lock bags looked like you took a razor and sliced the bag into two dozen pieces. I later saw and article that said the formulation at that time was not good for use on plastics/vinyl. This was Chemical Engineer that did the article.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:34 PM
corvetteman3
Racer

I read the post of using Goof Off. Found this stuff at WalMart and as recommended used gloves to rub it on the airbag when wiped it of with and old T Shirt. It worked great and looks like new. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:10 PM
dacfan
Racer

Searched and found this thread and saw it was just a few days old so I thought I'd drop a thank you to all who contributed.
After column lock issues, horn sensor, etc. over the years, my airbag cover was getting waxier and looks beat to s**t. For some reason it's been bothering me more and more over the last few months and I've tried various things that didn't work. Now I know what to do. Thanks guys!
Here are some picks of the nasty. The place I'm pointing looks like a bad scrape but now I think it's just a scrape in the goop.
Name:  DSCF0115.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  67.6 KB
Name:  DSCF0116.jpg
Views: 1653
Size:  46.5 KB
Old 05-16-2012, 06:09 PM
AmethystVette
Racer

Mine was much worse than that & it came clean with some Goof Off. The PO tried to clean it with something that didn't work and maybe made it worse. There were fibers stuck all over it like glue. I thought I would have to source a new one till I found the fix here on this forum.

Before-(with gouge)

Same spot after-(a little dusty, sorry)

Old 05-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by levimoran79
Everybody Talks about the cause!!!! How can we solve this problem?
Nothing helps?
If you don't fix the cause the problem will just come back and fixing it would be a waste of time.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:28 PM
AmethystVette
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
If you don't fix the cause the problem will just come back and fixing it would be a waste of time.
I would guess it is due to the material it was made out of and years of environmental exposure. There is no way to prevent it, but you can fix it and if it happens again in 10 more years I'll worry about it then.
Why would you suggest not fixing it? I guess I won't bother changing my brake pads when they wear down... whats the point? They'll just wear down again.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Bonnie Sigwald
4th Gear

Default Melting Airbag

My 2003 anniversary edition Corvette has the same problem. The airbag cover is melting. I've tried everything there is to try and still have a sticky cover. I decided to go to the top. I emailed the Vehicle Assembly Engineeering Manager in Bowling Green, KY. They had never heard of the problem before. I emailed them a link to this forum so maybe they can help. So ya'll guys stay tuned....
Old 07-11-2012, 06:48 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Old 07-30-2012, 02:09 PM
DonsLS1
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

Got the same problem with mine. Garage kept non daily driver, and I'm in Florida too.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:01 PM
AmethystVette
Racer

Mine was Florida also. Seems many of the Florida cars get this. I was told Tropical Ozone is a likely to cause it among other things.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:30 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DonsLS1
Got the same problem with mine. Garage kept non daily driver, and I'm in Florida too.
Is it sticky? Does it feel like the adhesive side of black electrical tape? Can you scrape it with a fingernail and it leaves a mark, and sticks under your fingernail? If so, follow my instructions (pull horn fuse, extra towels, etc.). If it's truly melting, then, I cannot help ya. What I can say is, what I did fixed my problem. Still looks like new. Just get a water based vinyl cleaner and try a test spot. Use microfiber towels, or you will be cleaning additional lint, etc... What do you have to lose?
Old 07-30-2012, 07:19 PM
DonsLS1
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUICIDE
Is it sticky? Does it feel like the adhesive side of black electrical tape? Can you scrape it with a fingernail and it leaves a mark, and sticks under your fingernail? If so, follow my instructions (pull horn fuse, extra towels, etc.). If it's truly melting, then, I cannot help ya. What I can say is, what I did fixed my problem. Still looks like new. Just get a water based vinyl cleaner and try a test spot. Use microfiber towels, or you will be cleaning additional lint, etc... What do you have to lose?
Yes, it is sticky like the black electrical tape. I plan on getting the goof off 2 and going at it!

Last edited by DonsLS1; 07-30-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Spelling

Get notified of new replies

To Airbag cover melting!

Old 07-30-2012, 07:48 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Yes, it is sticky like the black electrical tape. I plan on getting the goof off 2 and going at it!
Your smile will be pay enough. Let everyone know how it turns out. WATER BASED vinyl cleaner! DO NOT GET CONFUSED in your urgency. Do it right. You will be gald you did. If for no other reason, re read the thread, observe the pics. If you'd like, I can send more recent pics (as soon as I gett'er back from the cam install. They even commented on it. They see cars from across the country, many from Florida. EnglandGreen (Necessary Evil)
Old 08-07-2012, 09:40 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Curious as to your results. Seems most Vetters (when) happy, seem not to reply back. (Too busy Vettin')...
Old 08-07-2012, 09:43 PM
AmethystVette
Racer

Originally Posted by BLUICIDE
Curious as to your results. Seems most Vetters (when) happy, seem not to reply back. (Too busy Vettin')...
Check post #49 just up the page. I posted before & after pics using plain ol' Goof Off (not the water based stuff FWIW). Still like new today.

Last edited by AmethystVette; 08-07-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Airbag cover melting!