Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Steve schmidt racing LS6 engines

 
Old 09-17-2010, 10:19 AM
  #1  
XavZ06
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: South of France
Posts: 155
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Steve schmidt racing LS6 engines

Does anybody have experience with this company and is anybody running this engine into a C5 (Z06)

http://www.steveschmidtracing.com/st...-street-engine

XavZ06 is offline  
Old 09-17-2010, 01:54 PM
  #2  
zeevette
CF Senior Member
 
zeevette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: Pasco WA
Posts: 9,919
Thanked 185 Times in 166 Posts
Default

I don't know anything about Schmidt, but it's kind of pricey for a LS6 block/heads build. Hell, with today's prices you can get a nice C5Z for that much money.
zeevette is offline  
Old 09-17-2010, 02:11 PM
  #3  
~Josh
CF Senior Member
 
~Josh's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: 🌎🇺🇸
Posts: 13,930
Thanked 371 Times in 284 Posts
Default

Top shelf parts, but man, that's a lot of friggin' money.
~Josh is offline  
Old 09-18-2010, 12:46 AM
  #4  
MTPZ06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
MTPZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2008
Location: Honolulu HI
Posts: 12,643
Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,013 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ~Joshua View Post
Top shelf parts, but man, that's a lot of friggin' money.
No doubt it's a very nice motor...but that's the same $$ as an LS9 crate motor!
MTPZ06 is offline  
Old 09-18-2010, 02:42 AM
  #5  
golfinz
CF Senior Member
 
golfinz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 2,087
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Sorry, whoever pays that much for that motor has a few screws loose; I mean jesus, it only has ported LS6 heads.... For that money you could build a stroker with a blower. Do not purchase
golfinz is offline  
Old 09-18-2010, 10:27 AM
  #6  
MawneeC5
CF Senior Member
 
MawneeC5's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: Springhill FL
Posts: 2,237
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Nice numbers for an NA engine. But way too much money for those numbers.
MawneeC5 is offline  
Old 09-18-2010, 11:37 AM
  #7  
Eric Reeves
CF Senior Member
 
Eric Reeves's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: The Woodlands Texas
Posts: 939
Thanked 51 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by golfinz View Post
Sorry, whoever pays that much for that motor has a few screws loose; I mean jesus, it only has ported LS6 heads.... For that money you could build a stroker with a blower. Do not purchase
Yeah right its only ported heads. This thing is a 427ci motor with top shelf parts. A Lingerfelter LS1 427ci costs $20k and puts out 530hp. Therefore, this price does not look ridiculous to me.
Eric Reeves is offline  
Old 09-18-2010, 11:55 AM
  #8  
golfinz
CF Senior Member
 
golfinz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 2,087
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Eric Reeves View Post
Yeah right its only ported heads. This thing is a 427ci motor with top shelf parts. A Lingerfelter LS1 427ci costs $20k and puts out 530hp. Therefore, this price does not look ridiculous to me.
Ah, lol. I must have been more drunk than I thought last night, I didn't see the 427 part, just the LS6 part. So based on this newly found piece of information, I don't think its tooo bad. Still wouldn't spend that much money on a motor though
golfinz is offline  
Old 09-18-2010, 02:51 PM
  #9  
MPM IV
CF Senior Member
 
MPM IV's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2003
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 1,223
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Eric Reeves View Post
Yeah right its only ported heads. This thing is a 427ci motor with top shelf parts. A Lingerfelter LS1 427ci costs $20k and puts out 530hp. Therefore, this price does not look ridiculous to me.
It does to me. I paid less, got better heads, a larger motor, and made more power. The MSD coils are more of a liability than an enhancement. It may be a great engine, but it's more than I would pay.
MPM IV is offline  
Old 09-19-2010, 01:04 PM
  #10  
Eric Reeves
CF Senior Member
 
Eric Reeves's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: The Woodlands Texas
Posts: 939
Thanked 51 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by golfinz View Post
Ah, lol. I must have been more drunk than I thought last night, I didn't see the 427 part, just the LS6 part. So based on this newly found piece of information, I don't think its tooo bad. Still wouldn't spend that much money on a motor though
I hate it when I do that! At least you were enjoying yourself, I hope.

As for the price, comparing it to other 427ci builds out there it is not a bad price to me. They are all expensive, more than I will pay but in comparison its in line with supporting tuners. As for the heads evidently the ported LS6 units are doing quiet well to make 630hp. To use a better head would have increased cost. Plus the fact that they used the LS6 block is a cost increase to get it to 427ci. Are there cheaper ways to get big cubic inches? Sure, but this one is based on the LS6 which I find unique. However spending $15-$20k on a motor when the car is worth only slightly more is not smart in my opinion.
Eric Reeves is offline  
Old 09-19-2010, 01:23 PM
  #11  
AU N EGL
CF Senior Member
 
AU N EGL's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Raleigh / Rolesville NC
Posts: 43,084
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I have seen lots of cheap engines. for much less money

Remember guys, when building an engine you can only have two of the three:

1. HP
2. Price
3. Reliability

Good racing engines cost money to build.

Think too many ppl are use to looking at budget parts on budget builds, that may have the HP numbers, but reliability?

Katech,
http://katechengines.com/street_perf...e_packages.php

HKE,
http://www.hkracingengines.com/packages_ls1.php for short blocks with average parts.

Schwanke
http://www.schwankeshortblocks.com/shopping/?ic=1066
Off road engines.

Golen Engine
http://www.golenengineservice.com/html/ls.html

Last edited by AU N EGL; 09-19-2010 at 01:25 PM.
AU N EGL is offline  
Old 09-19-2010, 01:27 PM
  #12  
AU N EGL
CF Senior Member
 
AU N EGL's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Raleigh / Rolesville NC
Posts: 43,084
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

However spending $15-$20k on a motor when the car is worth only slightly more is not smart in my opinion
AU N EGL is offline  
Old 09-19-2010, 03:23 PM
  #13  
MPM IV
CF Senior Member
 
MPM IV's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2003
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 1,223
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by AU N EGL View Post
I have seen lots of cheap engines. for much less money

Remember guys, when building an engine you can only have two of the three:

1. HP
2. Price
3. Reliability

Good racing engines cost money to build.

Think too many ppl are use to looking at budget parts on budget builds, that may have the HP numbers, but reliability?

Katech,
http://katechengines.com/street_perf...e_packages.php

HKE,
http://www.hkracingengines.com/packages_ls1.php for short blocks with average parts.

Schwanke
http://www.schwankeshortblocks.com/shopping/?ic=1066
Off road engines.

Golen Engine
http://www.golenengineservice.com/html/ls.html
I think we can all agree going fast isn't cheap, but just because something is expensive dosen't necessarily make it better.
In the Katech link you posted their value 427 is $12k and it says mild cam.
I believe HKE offers 457 and 460ci long blocks for $16-17k.
I'm not bashing the motor, I just think you can get better for less money, and I'm basing that on experience. My motor is 2 1/2 years old now and never had a problem.

As far as putting a $$$ motor into a reasonably priced car, why not? It's a toy, not an investment. If you put the same motor into a new Z06 I guess they could depreciate togeather, but it would't perform any different.
MPM IV is offline  
Old 09-19-2010, 05:01 PM
  #14  
golfinz
CF Senior Member
 
golfinz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 2,087
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Eric Reeves View Post
I hate it when I do that! At least you were enjoying yourself, I hope.

As for the price, comparing it to other 427ci builds out there it is not a bad price to me. They are all expensive, more than I will pay but in comparison its in line with supporting tuners. As for the heads evidently the ported LS6 units are doing quiet well to make 630hp. To use a better head would have increased cost. Plus the fact that they used the LS6 block is a cost increase to get it to 427ci. Are there cheaper ways to get big cubic inches? Sure, but this one is based on the LS6 which I find unique. However spending $15-$20k on a motor when the car is worth only slightly more is not smart in my opinion.
I was! As for the price, you can definitely builders that will do it for less, as well as find builders that will charge more. In the end what matters is how comfortable the car owner is with the build/builder. Personally, I would go either ECS, Dallas Performance, or HKE for a build.
golfinz is offline  
Old 09-19-2010, 07:37 PM
  #15  
AU N EGL
CF Senior Member
 
AU N EGL's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Raleigh / Rolesville NC
Posts: 43,084
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

any good builder can build what you want or need.
AU N EGL is offline  
Old 09-20-2010, 06:22 AM
  #16  
XavZ06
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: South of France
Posts: 155
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for all the input.

Yes putting 20K in a car that is worth 20K does sound silly but really this car is not my daily driver and i have no intention in selling it. So i'm not to worried about depreciation.
Chassis wise my car is pretty much sorted now and tha car is ready for some more HP.

I'm looking for a proper racing engine to go out and play with the big boys on the race track.

The fact that i'm in France doesn't make it any easier, there are no real LSX specialists around and i don't want my life to revolve around building an engine so I need something that bolts in place without too much hassle.

Therefore the 427 LS6 sounded like a good option to me.

I'll check out the company and also look into some of the other builders AU N EGL suggests.
XavZ06 is offline  
Old 09-20-2010, 08:18 AM
  #17  
AU N EGL
CF Senior Member
 
AU N EGL's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Raleigh / Rolesville NC
Posts: 43,084
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by XavZ06 View Post
T
The fact that i'm in France doesn't make it any easier,

Katech Powered Corvette Track Attack LS7 on Paul Ricard Video

Turn UP your Volume and watch HERE

PS you want a ROAD RACE ENGINE builder, not a drag race engine builder.
AU N EGL is offline  
Old 09-20-2010, 09:01 AM
  #18  
XavZ06
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: South of France
Posts: 155
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AU N EGL View Post
Katech Powered Corvette Track Attack LS7 on Paul Ricard Video

Turn UP your Volume and watch HERE

PS you want a ROAD RACE ENGINE builder, not a drag race engine builder.

In fact i was there that day
XavZ06 is offline  
Old 09-20-2010, 09:04 AM
  #19  
AU N EGL
CF Senior Member
 
AU N EGL's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Raleigh / Rolesville NC
Posts: 43,084
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

If you know the owner of that car, talk to them.
AU N EGL is offline  
Old 09-20-2010, 09:13 AM
  #20  
XavZ06
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: South of France
Posts: 155
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AU N EGL View Post
If you know the owner of that car, talk to them.
No i don't know the owner unfortunately - but i could find out.
XavZ06 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Steve schmidt racing LS6 engines


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: