Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using or used MSD 8.5mm Red Superconductor Spark Plug Wires

Old 02-25-2016, 07:59 PM
JW Gears
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MSD Superconductor Red Wires

I run these wires in a LS-2 in a '07 Corvette convertible as well as a 2002 Silverado with a 5.3. After 5 years and 13,000 miles on the LS-2, the stock wires were causing mis-firing at idle. I test the stock wires with a Volt/ ohm meter and found there was about 4200 to 4500 ohms in the 5 inches of stock Delco wire. The MSD wires have a powdered carbon core like the stock wires, but the carbon core is wound with copper wire. This gave me 25 to 32 ohms of resistance and no radio frequency interference to screw up the computer or the radio. With so little resistance, the current needed to fire the plugs was much less. The throttle response was much improved, and the idle was rock steady. The only issue I had was that the wires appeared to be a little too short. I called MSD tech support to see if I could buy a set of wires that were 1 inch longer. The tech told me something that was not listed anywhere in the instructions or printed on the box- bend the spark plug boots in the middle to about a 30 to 40 degree angle. He said there are relief cuts made in the metal terminal that attaches to the plug. So I grabbed the plug boot with both hands and bent it in the middle with very little difficulty. The plug boots slipped on and "clicked" when attached to the plug, and the coil end slipped in place with a little effort. The bottom line is, they fit perfectly. I pointed out the obvious problem and asked they tech why this feature of bending the plug boot and internal terminal was not explained anywhere on the box or in the enclosed instructions? He was at a complete loss, but said he would write it up to be included. Hopefully these instructions are in every box. BTW this all occurred about 12 months ago. In the year the MSD wires have been on the Corvette's LS-2, there has been zero increase in ohm resistance. The coils do not have to work as hard, but under sudden acceleration this car is incredible. Highly recommend this product to all you LS-1, LS-2, LS-3, and LS-7 Corvette owners as long as the coils are in the stock location or the distance from the coils to the plugs is the same.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:53 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I have the MSD wires with NGK TR55 plugs and I'm also running LG headers. They fit perfectly without rubbing the headers at all. There is no radio interference, no sat radio problems either. I have nothing but good to say about this combo. I purchased the plugs and wires at a great price with free shipping from Scoggin=Dickey Parts in Lubbock, TX.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone using or used MSD 8.5mm Red Superconductor Spark Plug Wires