C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sun Visors on my 99 C5 went south....

Old 09-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sun Visors on my 99 C5 went south....

Up at the Castello Di Amorosa this past weekend, fiancee pulled down her visor and BAM, it snapped at the top of the mirror. I put an order on line for a right and left at $95 per side. I used this forum to removed them (spent 30 mins. wondering how the hell), went on line here, got them removed in 2 mins. I removed them, and boy are they cheaply designed, partical board. I was wondering if anyone had see them re-made in leather? I know "Apsis" does stuff like that. Also maybe placing a metal or plastic board inplace of that cheap partical board may keep it from breaking. Any help would be great. I know GM cuts corners, but dam..
Old 09-22-2010, 10:29 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis
Up at the Castello Di Amorosa this past weekend, fiancee pulled down her visor and BAM, it snapped at the top of the mirror. I put an order on line for a right and left at $95 per side. I used this forum to removed them (spent 30 mins. wondering how the hell), went on line here, got them removed in 2 mins. I removed them, and boy are they cheaply designed, partical board. I was wondering if anyone had see them re-made in leather? I know "Apsis" does stuff like that. Also maybe placing a metal or plastic board inplace of that cheap partical board may keep it from breaking. Any help would be great. I know GM cuts corners, but dam..
I'm not sure what the guts are made out of, however I know Vette Essentials also offers a leather option. I'm planning the same mod when I redo my interior leather. No way are the OEM felt visors staying.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Thanks MSG C5, I'll be checking Vette Essentials. I also wonder if a C6 visor can be used on a C5. Does anybody know about that.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Yeah both mine took a crap I have them flipped up at all times. I think the vette is overpriced when u really start to look how some of the parts are cheaply made or poorly designed. I need to redo mine but don't want to spend a arm and a leg to redo the visors.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:00 PM
T5Mika
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, I made them in leather... I don't seem to have pics though.
And they sure are a horrible horrible crapfest construction. If you have any upholstering skills they are easy peasy. Reinforce the cardboard, copy the original fabric on leather and sew back together. The mirror is the hardest part to remove and reattach without breaking but not too hard.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:04 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I had mine done in leather last year. I got tired of looking at the cheap cloth material GM uses. I had a local guy who does hot rod interiors do them and if memory serves me correct, he charged me $100 for the pair.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:15 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

DevilDog II, do you think the guy that did yours is up to doing anothe pair? Were is he located and what are his prices these days... I want mine in leather as well. I'm in Calif. not sure where you are located at... Thanks
Old 09-23-2010, 05:43 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

DevilDog II, do you think the guy that did yours is up to doing anothe pair? Were is he located and what are his prices these days... I want mine in leather as well. I'm in Calif. not sure where you are located at... Thanks
I'm in Northern Illinois. I believe their shop is near Highland Park. I can call him and see if he'd do yours.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:28 AM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago1
Yeah both mine took a crap I have them flipped up at all times. I think the vette is overpriced when u really start to look how some of the parts are cheaply made or poorly designed. I need to redo mine but don't want to spend a arm and a leg to redo the visors.
you can get an OEM set on fleebay for $129 + s/h
Old 09-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

I saw a few on Ebay, but I want new, not used. I figure if they are to last another 11 years, I better have a new set. With my luck, I'd buy a used set on ebay, install them, and the partical board will be as weak as the one I just replaced, and they'd snap as well. I purchased a pair on "I think" CorvetteSouth parts at $95 each, new. I do want leather. I think I may ask a shop local here if they can re-do the cheap felt in leather and what would be the cost, should only be a $100 for both, that would be my limit for upgrading them, if more, I'd just leave them as is. Thanks guys.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:36 PM
87gtNOS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Up at the Castello Di Amorosa this past weekend, fiancee pulled down her visor and BAM, it snapped .........but dam..
I almost had the same problem....but luckily I TOLD my Fiance to take it freakin easy on the sunvisor when she moves it!!!!
Old 09-24-2010, 01:31 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Too late for Jesse but this may help others out if the fasteners break

Sun Visor Fix

I also had a problem with this and I tried a couple of things before I got one that worked. I also used zip ties:

Pull the mirror away from the housing gently. Stick a piece of 3M double sided tape along the inside edge of the top of the mirror between the two holes in the visor.

Thread a small zip tie through each hole from the back and outside of the hole, with the “head” of the tie located in the large rectangular recess. Pull the tail of the zip tie towards you and thread from inside to out through the hole in the locating pin. Push the tail through the head loosely at first.

Use needle nosed pliers (holding the tail) and a precision screwdriver (pushed against the head) to tighten the zip ties. Be very careful when pulling the ties tight not to pinch the lighting wires which run through the same hole. Once tight, snip the spare tail of the tie but carefully so as not to snip the electrical wires.

Push the mirror back into its housing and press firmly against the double sided tape.

Should be good as new.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:59 AM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw a few on Ebay, but I want new, not used. I figure if they are to last another 11 years, I better have a new set. With my luck, I'd buy a used set on ebay, install them, and the partical board will be as weak as the one I just replaced, and they'd snap as well. I purchased a pair on "I think" CorvetteSouth parts at $95 each, new. I do want leather. I think I may ask a shop local here if they can re-do the cheap felt in leather and what would be the cost, should only be a $100 for both, that would be my limit for upgrading them, if more, I'd just leave them as is. Thanks guys.

EBay - new, OEM, $129/pair
Old 09-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Yea, DeeGee, well it broke just were the holes were that held the mirror, so of course the mirror dropped. But great fix to know, thanks. Still looking locally to get my new ones re-done in leather. But I may just have to accept the stock ones for a while.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

New visors came in, installed them today, very easy, just reverse the proceedures. But the fabric is not the same as the stock visors. The originals were a fabric, and these new ones more like vinyl/fabric. I like them better than stock, as close to leather as I'm going to get. Thanks for all of your help fellow forum members, your great. Enjoy the ride.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:36 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I wouldn't think leather would blend well or look good, but not having seen them I can only speculate....how about putting up a picture of one for those who have not seen any. thanks.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Should you be interested in or would consider new, please send me an email, gene@gmpartshouse.com or call 484-949-2099, as I’d appreciate the opportunity to earn your business.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 09-29-2010, 10:28 PM
MisMatchedMarcello
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exact same problem

My sun visor broke also. I opened it up and saw that the particle board snapped right after the peice of metal it is attached to.

I went to "staples" ( bussiness depot) and bought a binder, ripped of the plastic and took out the particle board inside

I cut it to the same size as the one is the visor and hot glue gunned it to the metal

My girlfriend stitched it back up and its like new
Old 09-30-2010, 12:08 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

You may want to pop rivet it to the metal, hot glue will not hold when repeated flips up and down, also on hot days, it will break again. There is enough force from the metal pinching the visor rod. I opened my old one, that particle board with the holes punched in them right near the metal strip is a weak link. Plexiglass would be better. I"m going to try to re-build them and have someone cover it with leather. Wish me luck. I'll post pictures when I do them.. Enjoy the ride.

Get notified of new replies

To Sun Visors on my 99 C5 went south....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sun Visors on my 99 C5 went south....