Sponsored by:

Z06 - FRC design question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 04:55 PM
flynbyu2
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I prefer the FRC. The side profile is AWESOME! Looks like a supermodel with a J-Lo buldge.

To each their own, but I ONLY wanted a FRC and the fact that I could only get a Z06 in that body style, well that's just the icing on the cake.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My how times have changed here on the Corvette forum. You see all these frc and Z06 people defending their car on posts like this from coupe owners because the mods forced them out of their own "elitist jerks" section. You people didn't buy a Z06 so deal with it. Stop bashing the design. I hate coupes. Hate them. I will be forced to buy a C6 vert because I hate them so much but guess what? I don't start threads like hey guys you know why GM makes ugly coupes? So all the poor people have something to buy when they cannot afford what they really want. We really need to after 10 years get past this topic. Soooooooooooooo old. Next you're going to tell me the Z06 tops out at 171 because of aerodynamics and that it has nothing to do with redlining the fifth gear which is a different "track" ratio on the Z. Sheesh
Old 10-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Kamauxx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man the FRC C5s looks way better than the hatchback C5s. Seriously, the lines are so much more sexy. The C5 hatchbacks remind me of my mom's old Chevrolet Chevette.

In all seriousness though, we're not in a communist country. We don't have community cars. Being able to go out and buy exactly what YOU like/want is one of the great things about this country-freedom to do whatever you want as long as it doesn't trample on other's freedom.

Enjoy your ugly hatchbacks, and I'll enjoy my ugly Z06. Everyone wins (unless we race) !

Last edited by Kamauxx; 10-21-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Kamauxx
Racer

Originally Posted by imavettegirl
i found articles that say frc/Z06 is stiffer, the same as a coupe with panel installed and no difference for any of the platforms.

until someone can find a photo/diagram of exactly what is different on the frc/Z06 frame i will stick with it is no different then any other c5.
You posted something saying the FRC is more stiff already. Are you disagreeing with yourself?

Last edited by Kamauxx; 10-21-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:28 AM
kmetros
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

until someone can find a photo/diagram of exactly what is different on the frc/Z06 frame i will stick with it is no different then any other c5.
This seems widely documented. Not sure why we're still discussing it. It's even been sticky'd on this board:

From Scissors:

Corvette Torsional:
-Depending on the source, the Coupe is 22 or 23 Hz with the top on and 20.5 or 21 Hz with the top off
-Z06 is 24 Hz
-Convertible is 20 Hz

Why does the Z06 have a stiffer frame, is it the fixed roof? No, the fixed roof is just a glued on piece of plastic. It has the vert frame bracing added to the coupe frame.

It's basically the additional vert bracing that the coupe doesn't have that makes the difference. I'm still not convinced that the fixed roof vs the targa top and 90 lb hatch doesn't make a difference. I know people that have parted out Z06's and there's basically no easy way to remove the roof - it's glued all to hell and tends to come apart in pieces.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:40 AM
JPM
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by Kamauxx
Enjoy your ugly hatchbacks, and I'll enjoy my ugly Z06. Everyone wins (unless we race) !
Thanks....I keep enjoying my so-called hatchback. Heres mine now lets see your (way better sexy z06)

Old 10-22-2010, 10:32 AM
kmetros
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JPM
See. This just supports what we are saying. In this picture your coupe looks JUST LIKE the FRC/Z06 body style. It looks so hot because you can't see the hatch!

Please know some of us are just trying to have a little fun and aren't really interested in putting a flame suit on!

But I still think it's more ridgid than a Coupe!
Old 10-22-2010, 10:56 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Yeah, but add a Caravaggio spoiler, some 19" CCWs and it would look hawt!
Old 10-22-2010, 11:03 AM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

first, the frc is no stiffer.

well documented.

second, the purpose of the Z06 was different then the purpose of the frc non Z06.

plenty written about what you are asking.

start with wikipedia.
wikipedia is the last resource I would use for Corvette research... the very last resource.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:05 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Z06Electron
My how times have changed here on the Corvette forum. You see all these frc and Z06 people defending their car on posts like this from coupe owners because the mods forced them out of their own "elitist jerks" section. You people didn't buy a Z06 so deal with it. Stop bashing the design. I hate coupes. Hate them. I will be forced to buy a C6 vert because I hate them so much but guess what? I don't start threads like hey guys you know why GM makes ugly coupes? So all the poor people have something to buy when they cannot afford what they really want. We really need to after 10 years get past this topic. Soooooooooooooo old. Next you're going to tell me the Z06 tops out at 171 because of aerodynamics and that it has nothing to do with redlining the fifth gear which is a different "track" ratio on the Z. Sheesh
Funny, because in the current C6 generation, GM settled the debate by offering the Grand Sport. Basically, the widebody looks of the Z06, without the cost. However, since they also badged them as the Z51 package, they provided more, middle of the road, HP and performance boosts.

I was talking with the head sales guy from our club's supporting dealership and he told me as a result of the Grand Sport debut, the pace of sales for the base C6 coupe and convertible has really slowed. Which brings us full circle to the topic of this post. I think GM learned from the C5 FRC/Z06 and is now basically offering the same body style for all models. The difference now being that you have a selective performance scale to choose from. To the non-Vette owner, you really can't tell the difference between a C6 Grand Sport Coupe and a C6 Z06.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:07 AM
BrentC5Z
Pro

Originally Posted by RC45
wikipedia is the last resource I would use for Corvette research... the very last resource.
THANK YOU!
That's the first thing that crossed my mind.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:07 AM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i found articles that say frc/Z06 is stiffer, the same as a coupe with panel installed and no difference for any of the platforms.

Every photo of the bonded roof structure taht is the FRC "dome" is all your proof right there.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:16 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kmetros
See. This just supports what we are saying. In this picture your coupe looks JUST LIKE the FRC/Z06 body style. It looks so hot because you can't see the hatch!

Please know some of us are just trying to have a little fun and aren't really interested in putting a flame suit on!

To quote Rodney King(been a while since you heard that name!),,,"Can't we just ALL get along??" Sweet looking ride there!! There is room enough out there for ALL of us!! Like my FRC,,but coupes and verts are all great cars too!! As the said back in the late 60's,,,Different strokes for different folks!! Like'em all,,love my FRC!!
Old 10-22-2010, 11:26 AM
JPM
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by kmetros

Dude im not the least bit interested in this debate but he called coupes ugly which inturn sparked my post
Old 10-22-2010, 11:36 AM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by JPM
Dude im not the least bit interested in this debate but he called coupes ugly which inturn sparked my post
yeah unfortunately he is right, only reason yours looks good and you ONLY post that picture is because it looks like an frc

oh and gbvette>jpm

Last edited by blackmachdown; 10-22-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:43 AM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

This place is beginning to sound too much like C6 Gen....

Fighting and arguing over which body style is the best looking, and calling anything else other than what you own ugly is juvenile at best.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:55 AM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksedan87

Fighting and arguing over which body style is the best looking, and calling anything else other than what you own ugly is juvenile at best.

at least it isnt CFOT where the c5 is the new c4

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 - FRC design question

Old 10-22-2010, 11:57 AM
BobAruba
Pro

It's funny with over 38 posts on two pages this op's single post thread / flame starter has done a great job of urging some to make some ugly and offensive statements.

Remember that the C5 model run was the only generation... albeit for a short run from '99 to '04... that made available to the Corvette lover a threefold choice of models.

Although since ‘68 there has always been one model of Corvette that has never appealed to me... there is no need to state it or intentionally attempt to offend anyone. Everyone's tastes vary and I respect that.

Let's exhibit a little class here. After all we are all (at least most of us) Corvette owners.

Semper Fi!
Huurraah!
Bob
Old 10-22-2010, 12:09 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by BobAruba
It's funny with over 38 posts on two pages this op's single post thread / flame starter has done a great job of urging some to make some ugly and offensive statements.

Remember that the C5 model run was the only generation... albeit for a short run from '99 to '04... that made available to the Corvette lover a threefold choice of models.

Although since ‘68 there has always been one model of Corvette that has never appealed to me... there is no need to state it or intentionally attempt to offend anyone. Everyone's tastes vary and I respect that.

Let's exhibit a little class here. After all we are all (at least most of us) Corvette owners.

Semper Fi!
Huurraah!

Bob
AMEN!
Old 10-22-2010, 12:11 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by blacksedan87

It comes down to individual preference when choosing which Corvette model you buy/drive. For me, a convertible option was more important than HP/more performance. However, with that said, now I have an itch for more HP/performance and I want to add a Z06 (either C6 or maybe C7) in the upcoming years. However, I don't plan to get rid of my C5 vert. When the time comes (and it will) when I get my Z06, I doubt I will try to compare the two in terms of looks because they are completely different animals. Based on production costs, I doubt GM will ever offer the styling differences they did with the C5 which has obviously sparked this debate.

Quick Reply: Z06 - FRC design question