Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone's baby pull left when accelerating?

Old 10-26-2010, 09:44 PM
GK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anyone's baby pull left when accelerating?

It's a lot more noticeable when you really hit the throttle. Braking is not a problem with no deviation from a straight line.

Having to put a moderately-strong grip on the steering wheel and pull her back to the center is somewhat of an annoyance.

Tires are properly inflated and were recently balanced. The car did pull left before the balance as an FYI.

It's doesn't seem to be that big of a problem, but I would like to prevent it from getting any worse if something needs to be taken care.

Any ideas, fellow C5'ers?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:52 PM
HowlinC5
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always chalked it off to the road not being smooth
Old 10-26-2010, 09:53 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,186 Likes on 13,910 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Haven't really noticed any pull to the car. Will have to pay more attention next time I drive it.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by GK
It's a lot more noticeable when you really hit the throttle. Braking is not a problem with no deviation from a straight line.

Having to put a moderately-strong grip on the steering wheel and pull her back to the center is somewhat of an annoyance.

Tires are properly inflated and were recently balanced. The car did pull left before the balance as an FYI.

It's doesn't seem to be that big of a problem, but I would like to prevent it from getting any worse if something needs to be taken care.

Any ideas, fellow C5'ers?
PM Evil-Twin if you want a real answer
Old 10-27-2010, 09:18 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FYI,tire balance will not cause a pull.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:46 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

sounds like you may need to change your diff fluid or add some more limited slip additive. if the clutches in your diff are going out, it could cause this also.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:02 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

alignment will help too.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alignment and corner weighting the car will do wonders.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:12 AM
Sargevette
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SaberD
sounds like you may need to change your diff fluid or add some more limited slip additive. if the clutches in your diff are going out, it could cause this also.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:24 PM
GK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SaberD
Wow, never would have thought of a fluid change. What's the logic behind this causing a problem?

Slow Z06, what is corner weighting?

Yello95, I sent the PM to Evil-Twin.

Last edited by GK; 10-27-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:48 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by GK
Wow, never would have thought of a fluid change.

What's the logic behind this causing a problem?
if the clutches are bad, the fluid needs to be changed, or if it needs more additive, the limited slip doesnt work correctly. This will cause more power to be transmitted to one side.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Imagine a car as a four legged chair. In order for the chair to stand steadily, all four legs should be of equal length and as a consequence applying equal pressure on the floor. If one leg is longer, or shorter than the others, we have a chair that rocks, and is unstable.

By the same analogy, the suspension of the (race) car has to be adjusted so that each corner "applies" the same amount of force on the ground, relative to the diagonally-opposite corner, so that the car does not "rock." Scales are placed underneath each wheel/tire to measure the "weight" of each corner, and a "perfect" corner balance would have the sum of the weights of the right-front and left-rear corners equal the sum of the weights of the left-front and right-rear corners.

For example, we have a 200 lb. car, with the center of gravity positioned exactly at the middle of the car. An ideal situation would be that each corner (tire) would apply 50 lbs. of force.

50--| |--50
| |
|200| (Looking at the car from above)
|lbs|
| |
50--| |--50

Corner balance is perfect at LF + RR = RF + LR = 100 lbs.

By the same token, if the CG is positioned a little towards the rear, as in the case of the NSX, we would have:

40--| |--40
| |
| |
|200|
|lbs|
60--| |--60

Corner balance would still be ideal. The same applies if there was a driver (any good race car alignment shop worth their salt would put a ballast equal to the driver's weight in the driver's seat when corner balancing and aligning the suspension). In this example, say the driver weighs 10 pounds

44--| |--41
| |
|10 |
|200|
|lbs|
64--| |--61

Corner balance is still ideal.

Say, for example, one corner is jacked up so it applies 10 lbs more...(refering back to our "perfect" example)

40--| |--60
| |
|200|
|lbs|
| |
60--| |--40

Corner balance is off, with LF(40) + RR(40) = 80 and RF(60) + LR(60) = 120

It would have the same effect as having a leg on that chair a little too long, so the diagonally opposite corner would also apply more force on the ground, with lesser forces on the other two corners. The car, in effect, will "rock."

A car in this situation will have a very poor handling characteristic, and will handle differently when turned left and right. In contrast, a perfectly corner balanced car will handle the same when turning left and right, and will be maximizing tire contact area on all four corners, thus will have more grip all around.

Obviously, to be able to adjust the corner "weights" requires a suspension that has ride-height adjustability. Coil-over springs are mounted on adjustable (screw-type) perches that go up and down on the shock absorber. This allows you to adjust the ride height, as well as make fine tune adjustments to the "weight" of each corner on the road.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

My Z and my Vert both do it. The problem is the car has to overcome pushing a big heavy vehicle forward. The sideways motion is due to some of that released energy not being applied to the forward momentum of the car. It is easier for the spinning tires to go to the side than forward because they have more resistance in the forward direction.

Works in a similar way with decelerating. Try pulling your ebrake some time and see what happens.

You would not notice this as much in a front wheel drive car or AWD due to how the power is applied and the physics involved.

Most people who talk big about not being afraid of high horsepower cars become very silent when they feel this sideways force under hard acceleration. They simply aren't ready for it.

My Z and Vert both pull to the right under hard acceleration.

Fun physics game. Have you passenger try to reach out and grab the dash handle when you get on it. I have only had a few who could do it

Drag cars experience this less because they do everything in their power to get the vehicle weight further back. The more weight over the rear the less this occurs. While the more weight over the front the more this would occur.

Last edited by Z06Electron; 10-27-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:21 PM
GK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z06Electron
My Z and my Vert both do it. The problem is the car has to overcome pushing a big heavy vehicle forward. The sideways motion is due to some of that released energy not being applied to the forward momentum of the car. It is easier for the spinning tires to go to the side than forward because they have more resistance in the forward direction.

Works in a similar way with decelerating. Try pulling your ebrake some time and see what happens.

You would not notice this as much in a front wheel drive car or AWD due to how the power is applied and the physics involved.

Most people who talk big about not being afraid of high horsepower cars become very silent when they feel this sideways force under hard acceleration. They simply aren't ready for it.

My Z and Vert both pull to the right under hard acceleration.

Fun physics game. Have you passenger try to reach out and grab the dash handle when you get on it. I have only had a few who could do it

Drag cars experience this less because they do everything in their power to get the vehicle weight further back. The more weight over the rear the less this occurs. While the more weight over the front the more this would occur.
Thanks for your feedback!

My mechanic said he's done the same thing with his Z06 and co-workers. He's taped $10 bills on the dash in front of the dash handle. He's had "bets" with people saying they can grab the bill if they can get it to it at WOT. I don't know how accurate he was in telling his story, but it still made me laugh.

When I floor it the car does seem to be pushing itself from the rear and to the left. As strange as that sounds, that is how it feels. Yes, I know it's a RWD vehicle, but it literally feels like the car is being pushing so hard from the back that the car is going to lift up front.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,108 Likes on 982 Posts

4 wheel alignment
Old 10-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,108 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by Slow Z06
Imagine a car as a four legged chair. In order for the chair to stand steadily, all four legs should be of equal length and as a consequence applying equal pressure on the floor. If one leg is longer, or shorter than the others, we have a chair that rocks, and is unstable.

By the same analogy, the suspension of the (race) car has to be adjusted so that each corner "applies" the same amount of force on the ground, relative to the diagonally-opposite corner, so that the car does not "rock." Scales are placed underneath each wheel/tire to measure the "weight" of each corner, and a "perfect" corner balance would have the sum of the weights of the right-front and left-rear corners equal the sum of the weights of the left-front and right-rear corners.

For example, we have a 200 lb. car, with the center of gravity positioned exactly at the middle of the car. An ideal situation would be that each corner (tire) would apply 50 lbs. of force.

50--| |--50
| |
|200| (Looking at the car from above)
|lbs|
| |
50--| |--50

Corner balance is perfect at LF + RR = RF + LR = 100 lbs.

By the same token, if the CG is positioned a little towards the rear, as in the case of the NSX, we would have:

40--| |--40
| |
| |
|200|
|lbs|
60--| |--60

Corner balance would still be ideal. The same applies if there was a driver (any good race car alignment shop worth their salt would put a ballast equal to the driver's weight in the driver's seat when corner balancing and aligning the suspension). In this example, say the driver weighs 10 pounds

44--| |--41
| |
|10 |
|200|
|lbs|
64--| |--61

Corner balance is still ideal.

Say, for example, one corner is jacked up so it applies 10 lbs more...(refering back to our "perfect" example)

40--| |--60
| |
|200|
|lbs|
| |
60--| |--40

Corner balance is off, with LF(40) + RR(40) = 80 and RF(60) + LR(60) = 120

It would have the same effect as having a leg on that chair a little too long, so the diagonally opposite corner would also apply more force on the ground, with lesser forces on the other two corners. The car, in effect, will "rock."

A car in this situation will have a very poor handling characteristic, and will handle differently when turned left and right. In contrast, a perfectly corner balanced car will handle the same when turning left and right, and will be maximizing tire contact area on all four corners, thus will have more grip all around.

Obviously, to be able to adjust the corner "weights" requires a suspension that has ride-height adjustability. Coil-over springs are mounted on adjustable (screw-type) perches that go up and down on the shock absorber. This allows you to adjust the ride height, as well as make fine tune adjustments to the "weight" of each corner on the road.
OK It's all ready to go. Corner balanced with a driver weight etc.

Now add a 200# passenger...Oooops
Old 10-27-2010, 09:41 PM
GK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
4 wheel alignment
If that's all it is, I'm a happy camper.

For the Z06'ers, how do I know that the technician is performing an alignment based on the Z06 specs? Is he entering Corvette and then choosing Z06 as an option in his computer?

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone's baby pull left when accelerating?

Old 10-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Then if you know that you 90% of time have a passenger, add that to the equation. If not, leave it alone. Corner balanced is still better than stock. That said, not everyone wants every thing they can get outta their car. Most are comfortable with stock.

I take my specs with me and verify that they are done accordingly.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:12 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car does it on a rutty road but not on a smooth one. Go figure.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:26 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,295 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I've never noticed it on mine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone's baby pull left when accelerating?