XYZ Big Brake Kit Thread! **Owners/Customers post in here!**

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 07:58 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,232 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman09
Their are located in Taiwan
Thanks for the link. Your car looks great with those HREs.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:24 AM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
Thanks for the link. Your car looks great with those HREs.
You're welcome and thanks. And do NOT confuse their oversea's country with others. Taiwan is in no way like China.... they are very advanced, and make some great quality stuff!
Old 01-08-2011, 11:16 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,232 Likes on 1,589 Posts

No problem. I think that XYZ actually supplies other brake companies with components. Over at Supraforums they did a big brake comparison, and some of the calipers from companies like K-Sport and Greddy were virtually identical. Pretty sure they were sourced from Taiwan. As long as they work well, that is all that matters! Have fun with the new setup, looks awesome!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Z06seal
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man, those look ugly. that XYZ lettering is horrible.

just imo

I'm sure they perform well though.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:14 PM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Z06seal

just imo

hmmm, to each their own. I personally love the lettering and think they look awesome!

Old 01-08-2011, 04:04 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06seal

just imo

i agree but i dont feel like spending an extra 4k to say brembo, i fixed mine with $10 in paint
Old 01-12-2011, 06:01 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am installing a set now, as I have a little time here and there because my business is going nuts, a good thing in this economy, this time of the year.....just sold another Vette audio package yesterday in fact

I have used SSB, Wilwood, Project U, Brembo, Stoptech and am the one that just took off my so far great performing Z06 calipers with DRM piston, Carbotech 1 piece pads, SS lines, DBA 4000 rotors which I had close to $3k into.

That last set worked very well for everything I was able to do so far except did not get to the track as no roll bar yet, some events will let me run HPDE without one, I am not that desperate to risk my life. If I had two piece rotors on that kit it would of been over $4k and these new calipers look like they are made better to me

Over the years all the brakes worked well for my needs, some better than others but I am not a hard core racer. I have done plenty of HPDE and TT events and I drive hard and used up some brakes along the way including cracking some well known 1 piece rotors all the way to the stud holes.

So far:

-Machine and finish work looks every bit as good as the best I have owned, better than most.

-Fit, tight tolerances, very tight, some serious work went into the design.

-Install issues, take your time, clean those hubs really well then it is an easy fit, check the run out, etc, just a bit of junk can make it way out, cleaned up, well within their tolerance in all aspects so far.

-Shims, not one was needed on the front of my car, I have had to use shims on a few brake kits.

, nice precise fitment other than possibly a slight hub offset difference but it might just be my car.

-Spindle ducts, the Quantum ducts just needed the edges of the plates beveled off which I did right on the car, then tweak one side back a bit, nice tight seal except for the area where the caliper mounts, I just have to cut a filler plate, really going to be easy then a very good seal.

-Pads, instead of paying for custom made pads I can buy off the shelf from many manf including direct from my favorite, Carbotech, for less money than the ones I had made for the Z06 calipers.

-XYZ logo, raised, polished, looks fine to me, just different than others methods, in fact I like them behind my 18x10.5 CCW sp16a polished wheels and sure to like them behind the 19x13's as well

I am going to get that pesky roll bar design done so I can hit the track this spring, going to try the sport pads out but will have some track pads with me as well, report to follow

-Service, OUTSTANDING customer service so far, thanks!!!!!!!

-----------

I too was leery of these made in Taiwan brakes but should of known better. I have had car and bike parts from all over the world and some superb ones made in Taiwan, some even made in China(I ran Japanese imports for decades before my first Vette, now I am hooked on them for good!

Rick
Old 01-12-2011, 06:27 PM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Excellent writeup!!!!! I did all the measuring to have these made. I would like to give you a call and discuss a few changes we're
thinking may need done. PM??

You have a C6 right?

I know exactly what you mean about the crud on the hub faces and how important it is to get them really clean!! I posted some pics earlier in the thread as a reference for others...

If you drive the way I think you do, I have a feeling you'll burn the supplied sport pads...

Looking forward to hearing your final report and some impressions after a track day!

Tim
Old 01-12-2011, 10:56 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Thanks and YEP, that is my car in the little picture when I post

Jon asked if you could call, of course but I just got home from taking my son to class in the city, please call tomorrow after 10 AM mountain time

801-829-4997

I drive pretty mellow on public roads, finally after all these years, any Vette setup at all is far to fast to have fun safely with(fun to me is getting a little loose here and there, I prefer to do that on the track

But, I use my cars and trucks, I never baby them, so I will use them harder than the average driver, probably Vette driver, just not crazy like I was most of my life, surprised I lived this long!!!!

Have a great evening
Rick
Old 01-13-2011, 04:26 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

I meant on the track not the street. I drive super mellow on the street myself, maybe it's because I know I have a track day in the future...

When I lived in germany that was different!

the sport pads did well for me all summer, my last DE I finally exceeded them. Got signed off for solo though...

Tim

Last edited by tstar; 01-13-2011 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:00 AM
dquagliaroli
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pricing

Please forward price for a 2003 ZO6 - Looking for sport pads. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:36 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Cool, I used to be a maniac on the street but in slower cars which is actually more fun because you are not going insanely fast, within the cars limits, etc......Actually not streets, mountain roads, etc....I was pretty tame in town.

This particular Vette is not going to be driven 10/10ths on the track, more like 9.5 to give me some comfort zone. I plan to keep this one a very long time and take many wine tours in it pulling the '46 Aluminum teardrop trailer we are rebuilding to tow our doggies in, camping gear, book buying trips for my wifes book business, etc.......why I built my own hitch as the ones you can buy are just huge junks of metal, way overkill and overweight, mine weighs just 6 lbs and was inspected and approved by a very good custom shop here

Our Studevette will need brakes as well, that is lifetime keeper but will also see the track in HPDE, TT, Open Road and the Salt Flats eventually. It will also be used on wine tours, vacations, camping trips, etc.......pulling the trailer but that car is going to take a few years to build.

I should put the finishing touches on the TT car I built and race it a bit, just lost my interest in such cars when I bought my first Vette. It is a fast car though for a FWD, my cornering speeds are very very high in that car, shockingly so, scary sometimes but it is exceptionally well sorted out. I have watched videos of some very serious race cars coming out of certain corners at MMP 4-5 HPH slower than my streetable TT Scion tC, really, blew my mind when I saw them and then knew why I was scared so much, hairy exit speeds, guardrail waiting to crunch the car like it did my buddies going much slower in a should be faster car........

I am thinking about parting that car out and my old truck and buying a family car with the money, going to start getting ready to retire and do not want to work on race cars any longer. When we move to CA I will rent a race car if I want to race again.

-----------

Anyway, so far I am very very impressed with these brakes just from how well they are put together, fit, finish, etc......I would imaging the race ones are going to be a killer set of brakes at a killer price!

(Of course time will tell if the rotors hold up, seals, pads wear even, etc....but so far so good

Rick
Old 01-14-2011, 03:00 AM
sbadd99
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 46 Posts

look good didn't see C5 on their web site or a pricing, I would also take the XYZ off
Old 01-14-2011, 05:27 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

They are still prototypes/custom builds...

Tim
Old 01-14-2011, 08:25 AM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

If anyone is interested in a set, feel free to shoot me a PM
Old 01-14-2011, 11:58 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

I think the XYZ looks just fine under my sp16a polished CCW wheels. I like a lot more spokes on my wheels than some do, stronger that way for the same weight, etc.......but I push my car much harder than most, the twisties are my playground

Rick
Old 01-17-2011, 06:03 PM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

Bump! I know more of you have these, lets see your progress

Get notified of new replies

To XYZ Big Brake Kit Thread! **Owners/Customers post in here!**

Old 01-18-2011, 06:15 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

I REALLY want to see those Yellow ones!

Tim
Old 01-18-2011, 07:10 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 189 Posts

heres my test fit with 1/2 wheel spacers and the stock 05-07 wheels:

back:

front:

the backs have about 3/16ths clearance and 2/16ths in the front, its snowing like crazy in chicago but ill get a test drive in in the first couple of weeks.

is there a procedure to bed the pads?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:23 AM
0Superman09
Former Vendor

I would drive the car normal for a bit to season the rotors. After a bit of normal driving, I would go through a normal bedding procedure of 6-10 moderate slow downs from 40-50 mph followed by 6-10 harder stops from a slightly higher speed if possible. Nothing special or out of the norm

Last edited by Superman09; 01-18-2011 at 07:28 AM.

Quick Reply: XYZ Big Brake Kit Thread! **Owners/Customers post in here!**