Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lambo Doors Installation Video - 30 minutes of step by step

Old 12-16-2010, 02:16 AM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

SHOPSFM I have a question is thier anyway to install these with out cutting up my doors or my fender that is the biggest fear I have. I am a machinist have been for over 30 yrs when I watched your video I kept looking at a way to either cut the hinges or make cut outs so I wouldnt have to cut panels. I didnt see anything that would help me with my fears TIA

Pops
Old 12-16-2010, 11:10 AM
0ShopSFM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Pops! There's two things to consider about the Vette doors which make those changes mandatory. First, the fender on any car that has a Vertical Door kit has been modified. Call it rolled, trimmed, etc, its been changed because the section where the arm hinges needs clearance so that it never comes into contact with the fender. That is 100% unavoidable.

Second, the doors on a Vette are unique to most cars, in that they have that extra lip that tucks behind the fender. When your door opens stock, the part with the lip hinges inward towards the pillar. When you add the Vertical Door hinge, it now travels out and away from the fender instead of in behind it. That means that lip has to go.

Being that you're in Modesto, I know its not a quick drive, but for the effort, cost, and fears involved in doing this install or trusting a local shop to do it right, you'd be best off just bringing me the car. I have people drive from all over the country to get their doors done right, and from time to time they drive in from Canada. You'll get a better price than I could possible make public, and you'll know it will come out perfect.

Another note here is that one major selling point on these door kits, is that at any time you decide to sell the car, or just want to return the doors to stock, the procedure to put the stock hinges back on is a breeze. The doors can go back to stock anytime, for any reason, and with the exception of the trimmed parts, it would look and function exactly as it used to. With the doors closed, you'd have no way of knowing the kit was ever installed, and even when opened up, only somebody very familiar with getting in and out of a corvette would notice the inner fender had been trimmed. Shoot me an PM you'd like a price for the kit installed in Southern California, I promise its the best option for anyone in the state that wants a door kit.

Last edited by ShopSFM; 12-16-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:16 PM
Mikvi
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '10

Thanks for the video. I've had a set of VD hinges on a shelf in the garage for a couple of months. I was doing the reaserch and plucking up courage to install them. Now with your video, I think I'll put them on over the holidays.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:29 AM
wilkinru
Instructor

Things I learned watching this:

1. How to replace the headlights
2. How to remove the front wheel fenders
3. Awesome place for a amp for the doors (inside the fender!)
4. Lambo doors look a bit difficult to install

Last edited by wilkinru; 12-17-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ShopSFM
Trolls will be trolls. Hey I just wanted to tell you guys all that for those who thanked me for the videos, you are all very much welcome. I took way too much time with the editing because I had to learn how to use Adobe Premier and After Effects. I'm still adding a voice over, but for now at least you guys can see the work, hear the tools, and take the guess work out of installing a set of doors. Any decent body shop should be able to do this as well as long as they take a peek at the video for a few random parts. I'm trying to bring video into the mix right now for our company, and being that this is my first one, I really appreciate the response you guys gave! I'll have tons of great new videos to come, so hopefully they just get better and better

-Chris
Screw that guy, I was glad to see the video's. Notwithstanding my opinion on lambo doors, it was a nice refresher and step by step for me if I ever have to take the front end apart.

Thank you for posting
Old 12-17-2010, 06:16 PM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Jistari
Screw that guy, I was glad to see the video's. Notwithstanding my opinion on lambo doors, it was a nice refresher and step by step for me if I ever have to take the front end apart.

Thank you for posting

And why someone would take the time to read and then post negative comments on something they have no interest in is besides me.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:11 PM
0ShopSFM
Former Vendor

eh, no biggie. Honestly that wasn't bad at all, most forums people get sooo nasty about it. I was researching the Audi A5 market the past couple days, and I'm just waiting for the burn I'm going to get pushing them the new A5 bolt on vertical doors. Granted the finished product looks amazing, the car looks super exotic with it, and the function and build of the kit is really one of the best I've seen... I'll still get flamed super hard. Just part of the job.

The rest of you guys here though kinda shocked me with such a great response. I dont think I've ever felt it was worth all the effort for a "how to" video even a fraction as much as it seems this one was
Old 04-13-2013, 10:30 PM
nhlighthouse
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The amazing thing about these doors is that people will never know that you have them until you stop and open the doors. Now I ask you all...how often do you stop and open your doors when you are out RIDING? DUEH!...Chinese firedrill at the next red light!
Old 04-14-2013, 12:23 AM
Mr31FlavorsVette
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I, for one, do like the look: Nice video too. One day...
Old 04-14-2013, 01:27 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Would never do this to my Z06, but a lot of instructional content in this video!

Thanks for posting.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:41 AM
vegasthomas
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

So I'm watching this video and thought the car looked familiar and realized it is my car I purchased the doors at SEMA then drove down to the shop in Corona, CA for the install. It took about 3 hours and I was on my way back to Vegas. I have had no issues with the doors or the install. l made the choice to put them on my car and have no regrets.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:13 AM
tentuna
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 0331MARINE
Thats pretty neat to watch. I just dont think I could do that to my Vette.
Agree

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lambo Doors Installation Video - 30 minutes of step by step