Sponsored by:

loose screws in rear hatch

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 07:34 AM
Jharry pope
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loose screws in rear hatch

I have a 2000 vette and when i open the rear hatch i can hear what sounds like loose parts sliding around inside. How do i take it apart to get rid of the rattling noise?
Old 12-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Jharry pope
I have a 2000 vette and when i open the rear hatch i can hear what sounds like loose parts sliding around inside. How do i take it apart to get rid of the rattling noise?
I don't have that problem, but would be interested in hearing how you can take the hatch apart.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Jharry pope
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I don't have that problem, but would be interested in hearing how you can take the hatch apart.
it drives me crazy, when i open the hatch up you can here whatever it is sliding from the rear to the front of the hatch. also does it under hard acceleration. there has to be a way to get inside
Old 05-28-2012, 04:39 AM
brandon19761
Cruising

I'm having the exact same issue in my '01 hatch. I just bought it and I swear its never been hit... Sounds like liittle pebbles rolling around. I gotta get rid of it.. It looks like the latch hooks can come out and I could maybe stick a vacuum hose up there....?
Anybody?
Old 05-28-2012, 07:07 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Are you sure it's coming from the hatch and not from inside the fenders? I recently changed my rear fenders and every time I hit a bump I could hear rattling behind the passenger compartment. I found out where it was by gently tamping my fist on the seam where the bumper meets the rear quarter panel. As I got to the bottom I could now solidly here the rattle. I removed the rear most outer light to give me access and it turns out that the bolts that go into the lowest bracket, behind the wheel, that attaches the bottom part of the bumper to the fender was loose. I tightened it up and now the rattle is gone.

Not sure if this is your issue but it's a logical place to start. Also did you check all the rear compartments for anything loose? Possibly underneath the car as well
Old 05-28-2012, 02:06 PM
brandon19761
Cruising

Originally Posted by STALION
Are you sure it's coming from the hatch and not from inside the fenders? I recently changed my rear fenders and every time I hit a bump I could hear rattling behind the passenger compartment. I found out where it was by gently tamping my fist on the seam where the bumper meets the rear quarter panel. As I got to the bottom I could now solidly here the rattle. I removed the rear most outer light to give me access and it turns out that the bolts that go into the lowest bracket, behind the wheel, that attaches the bottom part of the bumper to the fender was loose. I tightened it up and now the rattle is gone.

Not sure if this is your issue but it's a logical place to start. Also did you check all the rear compartments for anything loose? Possibly underneath the car as well
I'm positive it's in the hatch because when I open, or close the hatch you can hear pebbles roll to the front, or back. Other than that the rear of the car is totally tight.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:12 AM
2004SpiralGrey
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you ever fix this? I hear it in mine but I know it's a piece of the bump stop that broke off inside rolling around.

Originally Posted by brandon19761
I'm positive it's in the hatch because when I open, or close the hatch you can hear pebbles roll to the front, or back. Other than that the rear of the car is totally tight.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:56 AM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by 2004SpiralGrey
Did you ever fix this? I hear it in mine but I know it's a piece of the bump stop that broke off inside rolling around.
Not sure you will get a reply on this...thread is 7 years old and OP hasn't logged in in over 4 years

Last edited by FX VETTE; 10-06-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To loose screws in rear hatch

Quick Reply: loose screws in rear hatch