Sponsored by:

tires, cannot do goodyears again

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 02:04 PM
killertiller
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default tires, cannot do goodyears again

Well unfortainetly i have brand new goodyear run flats in the front. So i have to get rf again in rear. The front have like 1500 miles on them so i want to just use them. But the rears are wasted after 7000 miles. What a joke i only did one burnout on them , thats it. I do accelerate hard and spin tires between gears once in awhile.So is there any other good rf tires that will last longer then a oil change, lmao. I cant run non run flats in the rear can i? I do not ever take corners hard at all. My only other issue is my car has 3 to 4 inches max clearence. I am afraid if i get a flat the car will be so low nothing will get under it to tow or even jack it up.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:17 PM
pluslt
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by killertiller
Well unfortainetly i have brand new goodyear run flats in the front. So i have to get rf again in rear. The front have like 1500 miles on them so i want to just use them. But the rears are wasted after 7000 miles. What a joke i only did one burnout on them , thats it. I do accelerate hard and spin tires between gears once in awhile.So is there any other good rf tires that will last longer then a oil change, lmao. I cant run non run flats in the rear can i? I do not ever take corners hard at all. My only other issue is my car has 3 to 4 inches max clearence. I am afraid if i get a flat the car will be so low nothing will get under it to tow or even jack it up.
Not sure why you would have to run "run flats". The Z06s don't. You get a flat you're SOL. And from what I've read most of the tires on these that have any kind of traction suffer from exactly what you describe. changing every other oil change. I've got Pirelli PZeros and they got about 8k and are bald. Read on here a while back that someone suggested continental dsws (not sure of the exact conti tire but I think that was it). I'm switching to those before spring and I too am hoping for more than 8k before tire changes.

And I'm with ya on the worry about getting towed. I have to drive mine up on boards just to get the low profile jack under it.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:23 PM
killertiller
Instructor

Its isane how fast the goodyear tires wear . I would not mind blowing thru sets of rear tires if it was like 500 to 600 bucks. But not $1000 plus
Old 01-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Cryptos
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going with Bridgestone RE760 Sports myself. The original goodyear runflats that came on the car when I bought it are just to damn hard/old. And if I end up getting a flat I'll just get a little creative or call AAA.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:27 PM
steveblonde
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by killertiller
Its isane how fast the goodyear tires wear . I would not mind blowing thru sets of rear tires if it was like 500 to 600 bucks. But not $1000 plus
i had a similar issue although mine lasted i little longer than yours lol, i went with Michelins R/F in the back and still ran my front Goodyears as they were still were still fresh. Then when my fronts and backs were both at the same wear levels i went with Michelin non runflat all around.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Hankooks are a good non run-flat tire. great traction and good tread wear.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:33 PM
02*C5
Race Director

Received 106 Likes on 39 Posts

Again what are you looking for because any tire worth its weight in good traction is going to wear out quickly. Right now I am running Azenis and before that I was running NT05s. Both tires are about a 6 to 8 K mile tire. Now if you want something with less performance but more life then you can go with Ecsta ASX KU21 its a 30K mile tire.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will get lots of opinions on this subject.

My experience I started with my OEM Eagle F1 EMTs at 13K. They were ok but starting to get on my nerves, especially being a convertible. However, I must preface this with I cannot say how they were brand new.

So at about 14.5K on my vert, I switched to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZPs first generation. Exceptional tires, yes if you put the beans to it 1st and 2nd they will chirp, but the ride quality, handling, quietness, and wet/dry traction is very good. The downside was they didn't last more than 20K. BTW, they even handle light snow and freezing temps.

So the second generation came out Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZPs which was suppose to deal with the mileage wear issue increasing it to 45000 mile warranty.

I replaced my first gens with the second gens, and they were great. However, my rear's wore out early 24K but the fronts still are like near new. Here's where the story gets a little interesting...

So I went back to Discount Tire and they contacted Michelin who gave me credit towards a new set. Fine, I used that credit to begin the switch over to Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZPs. So they are on the rears.

I hate these PS2 ZPs!! They are loud, and give horrible vibrations on brand new smooth roads, and depending on the type of road the noise is loud or very loud. I just can't stand them any more. On wet roads they have a tendency to break too. So this morning Discount Tire calls me up based on a survey I filled out, their service is always excellent but I had added an extra comment on these tires. Well, they are going to switch them back to a brand new set of A/S Plus ZPs for me, no charge. I have had these PS2 ZPs since Oct. Without checking probably about 4000 miles on them.

SO kudos to Discount Tire, and Michelin that top of the line PS2 ZP tire sucks!

For me, I'm sticking with the A/S Plus ZPs. Other opinions may differ...

UPDATE:

Discount Tire replaced the PS2 ZP with a brand new set of A/S Plus ZPs this morning. No charge! I've always been impressed with Discount Tire, this pushes them way out of sight of any other tire dealer.

And what a different the A/S ZP made, quiet again, no vibration no loud road noise and super sticky.

Last edited by Jet-Jock; 01-07-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:42 PM
killertiller
Instructor

i dont care if they wear out in 7000 miles if they are more reasonably priced. I love to spend 600 or so and just rip thru them. The dam goodyears are so much i didnt want to even lite them up ever. At 500 or 600 i will not mind
Old 01-05-2011, 02:44 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

I would pull the front run flats and sell the here on the forum....then go all nonrunflat. For a decent driver tire at a good price..on my last dd Z06...I went w the Firestone Wideovals....I thought they were very nice for the money.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:47 PM
killertiller
Instructor

ur probably rite, just the thought of probably loosing a **** load of money annoys me. It was crazy cause if i looked at the rears before getting front i would of gotton all 4 non rf tires, But at the time the tires rears had 5000 miles on them and i neve rlooked. When i picked up car they mentioned rears were just about illegal. I was speechless when i looked at them live and learn
Originally Posted by IMXCITD
I would pull the front run flats and sell the here on the forum....then go all nonrunflat. For a decent driver tire at a good price..on my last dd Z06...I went w the Firestone Wideovals....I thought they were very nice for the money.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:49 PM
killertiller
Instructor

What did the 4 tires cost. What average price for 4 non rf tires all mounted up? $1000?
Originally Posted by IMXCITD
Old 01-05-2011, 04:53 PM
VerTigo456
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Sinister-one
Hankooks are a good non run-flat tire. great traction and good tread wear.
Hancooks are a fantastic tire for the money. Anyone can make a performance tire for the dry times...its how they perform in the rain that matters. Michelin PS2's are as good as it gets if you have the money. If not, the Hancook V12's are fantastic.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:50 PM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the Michelin A/S Plus ZP since '08. Have about 12K on them and they still look new. But I don't burn them or break loose with them. Too expensive. They're quiet and handle great rain or shine. BTW, even though they're RFs, I carry a plug kit & tire inflator with me. I also carry a short 4" (height) board to drive up on if I get a flat so I can get my scissor jack under it.

Gregg
Old 01-05-2011, 06:21 PM
01magnetic01
Pro

Originally Posted by VerTigo456
Hancooks are a fantastic tire for the money. Anyone can make a performance tire for the dry times...its how they perform in the rain that matters. Michelin PS2's are as good as it gets if you have the money. If not, the Hancook V12's are fantastic.

All four Hankook V12s, mounted and balanced for less than $800 from Discount Tire and Americas Tire.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Z06seal
Pro

I have continental ExtremeContact DW. I did alot of research (mostly on this forum) about those tires and it seems like those were the best priced/perf tires.

tire rack speaks very highly of them too.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Tim01Coupe
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a cheap ba$tard. I am also swearing by my Cooper Zeons. 10k mi so far, no problems, plenty of life left, I will EASILY get 20k mi out of these, maybe 30k. Do I do burnouts or go to the track? No. Have a little fun on the road? Yes. Michgan has horrible roads, tought on tires even if you don't wind it up once in a while. A SET can be had for $500.

Get notified of new replies

To tires, cannot do goodyears again

Old 01-05-2011, 07:39 PM
76 VETTE
Melting Slicks

Old 01-05-2011, 08:03 PM
snowbird12
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought a C5 and I am wondering ,If you do not have a lead foot, how many miles can you get from Goodyear Run flats?
My car has 46000 miles and they are at 7/32.I assume they are not the originals.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:10 PM
BRTC5
Racer

also hankooks v12s mounted and balanced for 900. very good all round.

Quick Reply: tires, cannot do goodyears again