Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's with Vette owners letting builders scam

Old 01-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,108 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Many probably get a verbal contract. How many here get a build with all the parts to be used in writing?
Very good point.

I get a written parts and labor sheet that spells out which parts we agreed on using.

I also go to the shop and lay eyes on the work in progress

This is tough when you shop out of state. Something I fortunately don't have to do. Not a big deal of I have to go the Cali or Phoenix area.

What I'm really question on this thread is where guys have used local companies, don't get what they paid for and are reluctant to seek satisfaction
Old 01-26-2011, 03:15 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by allen2m4
sounds like if i was having problems with hennessey and could spend 145,000 dollars on a car i would be at his shop with my foot firmly planted between his cheeks.
,For 10 grand,me and the fellas would be on the road to Texas!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Martin555
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zilla
Hennessey is a builder who has ripped off many people.
NoMercy here on the forum was taken by Hennessey for $22000.

Hennessey Article in Autoweek

NoMercy, the same guy who stole upwards of 23millions from investors...

sorry I don't feel bad for that one, at least he finally got caught this summer
Old 01-26-2011, 04:47 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post

Originally Posted by Martin555

If you rip investors for 23 million I guess losing 22,000 to a fellow crook is not bad right? When did this happen tell me more!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:10 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
May be true it will cost you $ for court and when you do get him in court and get the court to say you have your judgment on him. Then what he is self emp and if he dont just put the money out you are no better off. The only good thing if he has property in his name he cant sell it are get more money on it until your claim is paid. On a big amount yes do it. On a tuner for 400.00 to 600.00.
State laws vary on "small claims court" so check local laws. In general, it's fairly easy to file a small claims lawsuit. It's also fairly inexpensive. You don't have years of waiting as you do in a Superior Court lawsuit.

While having a lawyer isn't necessary to file a small claims case, the maximum allowable limit is usually set at something like $2,500 to $10,000 depending on whether you're suing a person (respondent) or company. The person who files the small claims case (plaintiff) usually cannot appeal if you lose the case. The respondent usually can appeal.

The biggest issue is that a small claims court judgment may not even be enforceable if the plaintiff proves his case. It's a "paper judgment" meaning you cannot recover the judgment. Whereas in a Superior Court lawsuit, the court can order the Sheriff to seize assets to satisfy the judgment.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 01-26-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:20 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
State laws vary on "small claims court" so check local laws. In general, it's fairly easy to file a small claims lawsuit. It's also fairly inexpensive. You don't have years of waiting as you do in a Superior Court lawsuit.

While having a lawyer isn't necessary to file a small claims case, the maximum allowable limit is usually set at something like $2,500 to $10,000 depending on whether you're suing a person (respondent) or company. The person who files the small claims case (plaintiff) usually cannot appeal if you lose the case. The respondent usually can appeal.

The biggest issue is that a small claims court judgment may not even be enforceable if the plaintiff proves his case. It's a "paper judgment" meaning you cannot recover the judgment. Whereas in a Superior Court lawsuit, the court can order the Sheriff to seize assets to satisfy the judgment.
small claims in NY you can get a judgment. I forgot what the limit is maybe 5,000. After you get the judgment you get a service to sweep all the bank accounts around the area. If the person or corp has any money in any account the bank is required to hold twice the judgment amount. It works well I did it once and got money from three accounts on a company that stiffed me. Also about 40 bucks to file the claim.

Last edited by John Shiels; 01-26-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:31 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,108 Likes on 982 Posts

small claims in NY you can get a judgment. I forgot what the limit is maybe 5,000. After you get the judgment you get a service to sweep all the bank accounts around the area. If the person or corp has any money in any account the bank is required to hold twice the judgment amount. It works well I did it once and got money from three accounts on a company that stiffed me. Also about 40 bucks to file the claim.
Took Pep Boys to small claims court because the wheel fell off my kids truck after they did brakes.

At 1st I told them just fix it and buy him a new wheel. Total of about $300.

They just blew me off.

Sued in small claims for $5K as my son hurt his hand when he retrieved the tire from the middle of the road etc.

They never even showed up. Got a Judgment. Went down to Pep Boys and bought something for $10. Paid with a check.

When the check cleared I took their account information off the back and levied their account for the $5K plus court costs.

Marshall's office called me a few later and said they had my check for $5600 if I wanted to pick it up.

Yes it is worth the hassle.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Martin555
Advanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post

If you rip investors for 23 million I guess losing 22,000 to a fellow crook is not bad right? When did this happen tell me more!

he fled in 2006
here is a long thread over at 6speedonline http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/o...lems-mana.html
http://www.9news.com/news/article.as...0424&catid=339
Old 01-26-2011, 05:43 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

thanks now I know why he was money was flowing like water.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I haven't been on the forum for a while this is the first I heard of NoMercy ripping people off. Then he deserves what he has coming .
Old 01-26-2011, 07:32 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I guess his name (NoMercy) fit him as he ripped off all the investors.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

NoMercy was the ponzi guy? Talk about karma being a b^&ch
Old 01-26-2011, 07:40 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 325 Likes on 202 Posts

we've all seen and heard of these horror stories, and some of us have experienced them first hand as well, but what really impresses me is that I've not seen nor heard of any of the major forum vendors on this site invloved in any of this.... usually we read the posts giving thme kudos for meeting and surpassing expectations....doing good work, going above and beyond, giving a bit extra, giving guys a break, etc etc... we're pretty lucky to have these guys!
must be 'cause we drive vettes instead of vipers!
Old 01-26-2011, 11:17 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a similar horror story on a major boat repair. I needed to replace the engine in my boat, so I ordered a remaufactured long block from a reputable firm that specializes in marine engines. While the engine was in transit the owner of my marina decided to contract the removal and replacement of the engine to an outside mechanic. The reason given was that this guy could concentrate solely on this job as opposed to the marina mechanic who would be constantly pulled off my job to fix other things. The reality is that the marina mechanic is a 50 year old stoner who has the attention span of a house cat. I was good with it but reinforced to the marina owner that the mechanic was responsible to him, and ultimately he was responsible to me for successful completion of the repower. Well, this all began back in October and we're still not done. Seems the old guy that the marina owner hired isn't real savvy on MPI systems, which is what my boat has. We're down to the final details but are still having issues with overfueling of the engine at idle and the old guy doesn't know what to do. The mechanic has presented the marina owner with a bill and wants his money. The marina owner came to me about it and I explained to him that it was up to him to decide whether he was going to pay the mechanic, but that from my perspective as a customer and boat owner, the job wasn't completed and I wasn't paying anyone until the job was done and I was satisfied. I also told him, for the second time in two months, that it's time to find another marine mechanic with experience in mercruiser MPI systems. We have a written fixed price contract for the job. Each time the marina owner complains to me about how much this job has cost him, I remind him that I lost half of my boating season last year because the guy he picked didn't pack the gear to complete the job.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:43 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
Took Pep Boys to small claims court because the wheel fell off my kids truck after they did brakes.

At 1st I told them just fix it and buy him a new wheel. Total of about $300.

They just blew me off.

Sued in small claims for $5K as my son hurt his hand when he retrieved the tire from the middle of the road etc.

They never even showed up. Got a Judgment. Went down to Pep Boys and bought something for $10. Paid with a check.

When the check cleared I took their account information off the back and levied their account for the $5K plus court costs.

Marshall's office called me a few later and said they had my check for $5600 if I wanted to pick it up.

Yes it is worth the hassle.
Nice work!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:26 AM
BevoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I have no experience with Hennessey, so I have no comment on the articles or allegations referenced.

I find it ironic that the current (February 2011) issue of Road & Track features a cover photo and an 8-page cover story on a 1200 hp Venom GT built by Hennessey.

Zilla -- I love your avatar.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's with Vette owners letting builders scam