Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Highest hp stock cam LS6....who has pushed the limits?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:01 AM
z06 vett
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSOHOLIC
Damn....I cant believe I just wasted all that time reading that sh*t.....

I'd like to know his plan on over coming cubic inch and the arm of the 427. Absolutly crazy, most modded C5Z's cant hang with stock 427's. Torque is a real deal....and all of this for dyno numbers which do not mean sh*t.

We drive/race our cars....for real...not compare dyno numbers, cuz that does not mean it will go down the track.

Thanks.....

wow ,
a race car??
i am doing all this so i can sell someone a z06 !!
I don't race anyone/everyone but on the street.No one has ever beaten this car in four years.The next one will be even more radical and much cheaper to build.I like building them,it's my hobby.In 6 years living in alabama i have restored a 76 455 TA, bought,registered and drove then sold the following with a loss on all. 02 STS,04 montecarlo,97 ws6,02denali,99 aurora,011 sorento,96 SHO,00 accent( first car i taught myself about computer cars),94 formula,99 lumina,00 f250,and now drive one of those 011 f150 ecco boost trucks and will soon be tuning it for more power.The dyno numbers are for your benefit .Yes i have a couple of dyno's but they are for tuning and the max HP capacity is only 300 hp/~400 tq. so?Too soon to know,work in progress.

The formula and the corvette are for sale.The rest were fun .In my life time i suppose i have had a couple hundred cars? Hell i had as many women, five kids,lived in three other counties and a few carriers to boot,and now am starting a tuning industry,i hope.
This not to say i do things to prove anything.It's just the terminology needed to communicate a thought or feeling.I have had to learn to write,spell,type and use a computer for something other than manufacturing with this z06 project.I now after having it completely had it apart three or four times.I kind of understand the LS tech. good enough to sell a service for it.I call it corvette college LOL.As a am disabled and have more time than money these days. It has gotten me back to thinking about working.I have a shop /car lot and tools and all the computers and even a 200 credit HP tuners kit.I am about to release a remote tuning service to make tuning available to other guys like me that missed the computer age .IT is call RRTT( remote real time tuning)
Just imagine how much faster i could have done it if they taught men to type in public schools? or is the PC had been invented a decade sooner?Fellows my age were just hoping the draft would end before we graduated HS.This is weird because the older guys in my live would tell us younger s stories about walking 12 miles to school everyday in three feet of snow.I suppose i am the older guy now?
I will tell you this .I hand loaded tractor trailer trucks for a buck an hour, cigarettes were 50 cents and so was gas.Minimum wage was 1.65?So in relative purchasing power of earned income i be leave your generation is being screwed.We could buy a real cheap car for 50 bucks and with Twenty stay drunk/high get laid and generally do what ever all week end.Dui's were not even a concern and the police had no interest in writing tickets .They had to stop you to even write one so if you had a decent ride you just dropped a gear.That is a time past and trafic court turned into real court along the way?.
Today i have eleven years clean and sober and fifty is the new thirty so i am trying to adapt.

Please read on these forums with a little consideration for those of use that are still learning.I have a twenty year old(the baby) at home that thinks he knows it all and has no life experiences to quantify anything he says.**** he does not even know how to get a job!!Matter of fact he is still a sleep WTF!!

anyway i said my piece,i do this every so often because so many of the older guys just stop using CF because some whippersnapper pisses them off.
mike in mobile
trying to do the next right thing and be of service

Last edited by z06 vett; 01-12-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:25 PM
Titan22
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06X
As a long time engine builder, fabricator, etc. I've built many platforms over the years. As I move and learn more about these LSx engines, I have tried to establish what's been done and what's yet to be done.

Like many other genres I have experience with, the Corvette crowd has a pretty typical upgrade path that 95% follow to get to "x" hp and what not. What I haven't seen much of are those who try to break the path.

One would be, who's explored the limits of the car while maintaining stock heads/cam. Combinations with headwork, intake mani work, etc. C6Z whp with a C5Z combination that is mildly mannered is the ticket IMO. Has anyone pumped up the c/r a tad, worked the heads/intake and kept the stock cam to see how much power can be made while being able to lug 6th gear at 40mph like a stock cam car will?

This feels to me to be the path I'd like to go with this car. I'm just wondering if there are any others out there. Any aftermarket companies on here ever really explore what you can do on a stock grind?

Post it up...
David
I came across your post on max hp on stock grind ls6 and wondering if you ever got anywhere with it? Im very interested in what could be done. So far only cold air intake and lg long tubes but have fast92 and nikpckmwillaims TB. Would plan on TF 215's or CNCing stock 03 heads and shaving to slightly increase compression. Don't know about rocker ratio? Any input would be appreciated.

Regards Rich
Old 08-06-2017, 11:17 PM
edram454
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

My car dynoed at 445 rwhp with cam change, vararam, kooks long tubes full synthetics and tune on Mustang dyno. It has stock 243 heads and stock intake. I will be swapping out the
stock intake for the fast 92 and throttle body 90 ls2 in a couple of weeks. It is very strong for the mods it has. It has the complete cam kit, double springs, retainers etc.....and corsa cat back exhaust. my goal is to be over 450 rwhp on mustang dyno.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:33 PM
Titan22
Racer

Originally Posted by edram454
My car dynoed at 445 rwhp with cam change, vararam, kooks long tubes full synthetics and tune on Mustang dyno. It has stock 243 heads and stock intake. I will be swapping out the
stock intake for the fast 92 and throttle body 90 ls2 in a couple of weeks. It is very strong for the mods it has. It has the complete cam kit, double springs, retainers etc.....and corsa cat back exhaust. my goal is to be over 450 rwhp on mustang dyno.
Would you mind sharing which cam you chose.

Thanks for your time.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:13 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm guessing 400whp +/- 10 on a mustang dyno is the max you'll see on a stock internals - UDP, ported TB & manifold & heads, ram air style CAI like Vram, roller rockers, full LT exhaust no cats, perfect professional tune, sea level on a 50 degree day w/ barely any humidity.

But, most people (myself included) would gravitate toward cam swap before spending the $$$$ on springs, rockers, porting TB & manifold, touching stock heads, b/c you could leave that stuff to the side & make MORE HP w/ just a basic cam package.

Regardless, even guys doing full heads/cam swaps w/ super lopey aggressive cam profiles that may be matching or eclipsing stock C6Z WHP #'s, for the most part they STILL won't be considerably faster due to gearing & where the HP is made - big HP H/C swaps usually show the best #'s peak w/ only minimal/moderate gains (or even losses) at RPM levels below 4-5k - so the C6Z still has that power curve/TQ/gearing advantage even on fully bolted N/A C5Z's - you'd probably need to stroke the stock block in addition to heads/cam & all the other bolt ons to truly have a C5Z that consistently handles stock or mildly modded C6Z's

What you don't mention is gears......you could do only Bolt-ons, port/polish the intake/TB/heads & swap the rear for 3.90 or 4.10 & my guess is w/ the right tires suspension setup a fully maxed out bolt-on C5Z w/ 4.10's & DR's would be faster on a road course or 1/4 mile than a stock C6Z except it'll probably read LOWER HP w/ the gears than if you had left 'em stock despite providing better acceleration....
Old 08-07-2017, 05:04 PM
Titan22
Racer

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
I'm guessing 400whp +/- 10 on a mustang dyno is the max you'll see on a stock internals - UDP, ported TB & manifold & heads, ram air style CAI like Vram, roller rockers, full LT exhaust no cats, perfect professional tune, sea level on a 50 degree day w/ barely any humidity.

But, most people (myself included) would gravitate toward cam swap before spending the $$$$ on springs, rockers, porting TB & manifold, touching stock heads, b/c you could leave that stuff to the side & make MORE HP w/ just a basic cam package.

Regardless, even guys doing full heads/cam swaps w/ super lopey aggressive cam profiles that may be matching or eclipsing stock C6Z WHP #'s, for the most part they STILL won't be considerably faster due to gearing & where the HP is made - big HP H/C swaps usually show the best #'s peak w/ only minimal/moderate gains (or even losses) at RPM levels below 4-5k - so the C6Z still has that power curve/TQ/gearing advantage even on fully bolted N/A C5Z's - you'd probably need to stroke the stock block in addition to heads/cam & all the other bolt ons to truly have a C5Z that consistently handles stock or mildly modded C6Z's

What you don't mention is gears......you could do only Bolt-ons, port/polish the intake/TB/heads & swap the rear for 3.90 or 4.10 & my guess is w/ the right tires suspension setup a fully maxed out bolt-on C5Z w/ 4.10's & DR's would be faster on a road course or 1/4 mile than a stock C6Z except it'll probably read LOWER HP w/ the gears than if you had left 'em stock despite providing better acceleration....

Thanks for the response.
I've taken care of my suspension setup and brakes first and plan on changing to a 3:90. All else I'm fine with changing intake, TB, aftermarket heads and cam but my concern is the cam. Two inparticular I've looked at are the Majic Stick 4 and the larger Street Sweeper if your familiar with either of those two. Has there been any you might recommend looking into, I don't drag race. Truthfully I'd like to do a ground up build but the cost for what I'd like is unaffordable now and I think I'd be happy if I could get a good bump out of H,I,C swap.
Thanks again for your reply..
Rich
Old 08-08-2017, 11:19 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Titan22
Thanks for the response.
I've taken care of my suspension setup and brakes first and plan on changing to a 3:90. All else I'm fine with changing intake, TB, aftermarket heads and cam but my concern is the cam. Two inparticular I've looked at are the Majic Stick 4 and the larger Street Sweeper if your familiar with either of those two. Has there been any you might recommend looking into, I don't drag race. Truthfully I'd like to do a ground up build but the cost for what I'd like is unaffordable now and I think I'd be happy if I could get a good bump out of H,I,C swap.
Thanks again for your reply..
Rich
I know a little bit about cams just had one spec'd & installed in my '03 Z.....but mines a little more tame, "stage 2" according to tuner, but I was going after a wide power band & gains all across the curve not just peak HP for a dyno sheet. The monster cams won't breathe as well through stock or ported heads & would probably also need 1 7/8" headers @ least to squeeze all the HP possible out.

Mines .613 intake lift, 227/234 w/ 113 LSA comp cam spec'd through Brian Tooley & installed/tuned/planned out by Slowhawk Performance.

equated to a solid 40-50whp bump above & beyond where I was w/ intake/LT's/dual springs/ported TB/cooler plugs/tune

I would be more concerned w/ having a usable powerband not just making the most HP, I would not be happy w/a choppier more aggressive cam if it caused driveability issues just for 10-20 more peak HP.

Dyno sheet attached post install/tune - this is a notoriously stingy mustang dyno & was on a 90 degree humid day end of July. I would imagine it could hit 430+whp on a cooler less humid day same dyno as it dynode 389whp previously w/ the same bolt-ons same dyno & only hit 380whp that day as you can see.

The graph & track tells the real story not the peak #'s. Also keep in mind dynojets (which seem to be more common these days) tend to read 10-15% higher than mustang dynos....so be sure to inquire about that when comparing other owner's results.
Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2017, 12:31 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

This thread is 6 years old, and the OP still hasn't proven his points, rather, changing his user name to put this silliness behind.
The following users liked this post:
BmoreRnsDeep (08-10-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 03:51 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Dobie

No need to guess. We've tested out all that stuff.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:01 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by ctusser
Holy F-Bombs Captain Crazy Pants, why did you pull this one out of the crypt?
I think this post is applicable once again.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:02 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
I think this post is applicable once again.
I don't know what's worse: the resurrection or the fact that I remember when this thread was new.
99 Black Bird TA (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 11:26 AM
99 Black Bird TA
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 86 Posts

Saw this thread from ~12 years ago and had a fun time reading.

There's quite a few bolt on only LS1's & LS6's that have been on LS1Tech after the thread tapered out that were set up with the idea of seeing what a stock cam car could do.

Wanted to add a link to what's-your-stock-ls6-bolt-ons-tune for others to enjoy seeing additional information on what stock cam engines can make in some circumstances.

One LS6 squeezed 451whp out (stock heads & stock cam) with all the bolt on's plus1.9 roller rockers and a custom built airbox.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird TA; 08-19-2022 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:16 PM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,111 Likes on 1,939 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22

This is a very old thread. Based on what the OP is looking for, I really think the best option is to add a supercharger if you want to max the performance on stock cam and heads. That's what I did.
99 Black Bird TA (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 07:02 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

I agree on a blower. If I came into some extra $$, I'd pull my built LS7, refresh everything, get some 9.0-9.5:1 pistons, and a blower. You get stock reliability, with high horsepower when wanted. A friend of mine has a yellow 2002 Z06, with a blower. He and I were going to race to see who would win. Then he had to go and throw an aftermarket cam into it. He told me he's now making close to 650whp after it was tuned. That's more at the wheels than my built LS7 has at the crank!!!! With stock, or damn close to stock, reliability. Best of both worlds, in my opinion......
Old 08-19-2022, 07:04 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by grinder11
I agree on a blower. If I came into some extra $$, I'd pull my built LS7, refresh everything, get some 9.0-9.5:1 pistons, and a blower. You get stock reliability, with high horsepower when wanted. A friend of mine has a yellow 2002 Z06, with a blower. He and I were going to race to see who would win. Then he had to go and throw an aftermarket cam into it. He told me he's now making close to 650whp after it was tuned. That's more at the wheels than my built LS7 has at the crank!!!! With stock, or damn close to stock, reliability. Best of both worlds, in my opinion......
A stock bottom end on an LS7 will take quite a bit of power without needing to be built.
Old 08-20-2022, 09:42 AM
SuperSlow35th
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well. That was an entertaining read.

My favorite part was where he acted like 298chp in a 2.0L 4 cylinder was some sort of ground breaking accomplishment. My 2.0L Evo made just over 400whp on stock long block, stock turbo, stock manifolds.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Highest hp stock cam LS6....who has pushed the limits?