Sponsored by:

[Z06] ***Light Cannon Projector Headlights GP: Now with Bi-xenon option!!!***

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:10 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Default ***Light Cannon Projector Headlights GP: Now with Bi-xenon option!!!***

Now’s you’re chance to get a set of Radioflyer’s world-famous “light cannon” HID projector headlights the most powerful pop up headlights ever built for the 5th generation corvette. For those of you who are tired of not being able to see at night, lights provide the solution.

What makes Light Cannons special?

The Light Cannons are the result of nearly a year of my research into the best possible lighting for corvette while keeping the price manageable. They combine the optical technology of Hella (makers of the Mercedes, BMW and other headlight components) combined with custom designed Mounting frames and thermoformed ABS shrouds to match your factory look. In addition, every light cannon kit comes with a Hi-4 harness that allows your Low beams to remain on with your high beams (a feature that until recently required an in depth knowledge of vehicle electronics) I have personally tried or seen every commercially available kit for the C5 corvette and feel the Light cannons are by far the best performing product for the money.

What makes Light Cannons superior to other options?

- OEM: Your OEM headlights have a horrible pattern and the bulb only produces 1000 lumens. It’s almost dangerous to drive on an unlit or poorly lit road

- Aftermarket halogen bulbs: These draw more wattage and will often fail faster than OEM bulbs. In addition most “blue tinted” bulbs produce less usable light since the tinting eats up the light output

- HID plug and play kits: The output of the HID bulbs are limited to the poor reflector and lens of the OEM light. There’s often a horrible glare and the output has hotspots that hamper your night vision.

- T84 Euro spec headlights: This kit requires 120 watts of power to get the same amount of output as the light cannon kit and the T84s are not HID friendly housings.

- ACA: The second best option, but many have reported the high beams section of the
housing is not correctly aligned with the low beams resulting in a high beam that shoots into the sky instead of down the road.

- Fixed headlights: Many feel the appearance of fixed headlights throw off the lines of the car. In addition the higher quality fixed headlight kits cost on average 75% more than the light cannons kit.

Compare Light cannons to your OEM headlights:

What you get:

Base Kit: $800
Includes:
- Hella 90mm projector low beams
- Hella 90mm Free-form Reflectors
- Reinforced Aluminum Frames
- Stainless and aluminum Hardware
- Thermoformed ABS Shrouds
- Plug and play relay harness,
- HID kit with Ballasts and Bulbs
- High beam Harness w/ 65w High beam bulb,
- Hi-4 circuit
- Detailed installation instructions on CD.

Compare brightness to OEM headlight bulb (1000 lumens)
Bulb color options:
3000K – Golden yellow (2900 lumens)
4300K – OEM halogen yellow (3100 lumens)
5000K – Pure White (3000lumens)
6000K – White with blue tint (2900 lumens)
8000K – Iceburg Blue (2600 lumens)

(4300K)

Upgrades:
Halo rings: +$100 ***now also available in blue***
(Includes mounted Halo rings and transformers integrated into Relay harness)

H7 High beams w/ city light: +$120 (Halogen)
(There are much more H7 aftermarket bulbs available than the H9 in the base kit for those who want an aftermarket halogen high beam)

Euro Spec projector Headlight Modules: +$200
(These can be modified for Left hand drive and are ECE compliant for European cars and feature a sloped cutoff pattern instead of the stepped DOT pattern. ECE projectors do not use the new cutoff shield)

HID High beam: +$120 (can be used with H9 base kit or H7 upgrade)

HID Fog: +$120
(Includes second HID plug and play kit)

HID fog and High beam: +$200
(includes second and third HID kit with Dual-output relay harness for fogs and lows)

NEW OPTION!!!!! Bi-Xenon main beam!!!
(+ $400)
For the first time ever, there is now a production variant of the 90mm modules with a bi-mode operation. Hella has long offered a Bi-xenon projector with D2S bulb, but at over $500 PER PROJECTOR, it priced many out of the market. Hella has recently introduced their Bi-Halogen projector which is HID friendly as you can see from the pictures below.

What is Bi-Xenon?
Bi-xenon refers to a headlight design where the Low and high beam patterns are created by a single light source. The change in beam pattern occurs when a spring-loaded solenoid causes minor change in optics. For a projector like the Hella 90mm, the solenoid opens part of the cutoff shield resulting the cutoff line moving significantly higher. The operation of the High beam solenoid is instantaneous (faster than a separate halogen high beam) and takes very little current to operate.

How is this used in the Light Cannon’s Kit?

The Bi-xenon projector is mounted in place of the original Low beam projector. The high beam reflector will remain as part of the circuit for additional high beam lighting. The Bi-xenon high beam solenoid will be tapped from the high beam circuit.

Can I upgrade my existing Light Cannon’s Kit?

Yes. If you have an existing light cannon kit, You can upgrade your kit with the Bi-xenon setup. The Bi xenon projector uses the same style bulb as your existing low beam. Since the Bi-xenon projector is about 11 oz heavier than the original low beam projector, the Bi-xenon comes with a new heavy duty designed mounting system (similar to but larger than the original) The existing mounting holes in the aluminum frame for the low beams will need to be drilled out to a larger size. (required hole size is 17/32”)

If you already have a light cannon kit, you can purchase this upgrade for the same price. I will include quick-splices to allow you to easily tap into the high beam circuit. If you would like me to install the Bi-xenon projector on your setup, you can ship me your headlights for modification. I charge $50 for the modification and will keep your old projectors. (Only frame, modules and hi-beam short harness are needed)

Comparison of Bi-xenon projector vs. Original Light cannon projector (OEM shield)

The Larger lens of the Bi-xenon unit and the removal of the Fresnel lines from the focal lens results in a significantly sharper pattern with improved width and central hotspot:

(Pattern shots taken inside on 20’ ceiling using 55w 6000K bulb)

Original projector (LC 1.0)

Bi-xenon projector (low beam mode)

Bi-xenon projector (high beam mode)

GP details: This GP will last until Sunday Feb 27, 2011. To make things go faster, I will be accepting payment immediately. Construction will begin on Monday Feb 28 and will take 2-3 weeks to complete. Each order will be updated when the kit is complete and emailed with tracking information. Prices include shipping for domestic orders only. International orders will need to PM me for additional shipping charges.

If you have any questions, please post on this thread so others can benefit as well. Previous Light cannon owners are welcome to post as well.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:20 PM
hattitude
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've thought about this mod.

I'm no stranger to a wrench, but I've never touched the headlights on my C5............. how involved is the install...... I mean for someone who didn't invent & make the kit....?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:18 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by hattitude

I'm no stranger to a wrench, but I've never touched the headlights on my C5............. how involved is the install...... I mean for someone who didn't invent & make the kit....?
Complete bolt-on. All electrical connections are plug and play. The only Challenging part is removing the headlight hinge bolts since they're usually stubborn. A detailed installation guide is available for download online as well as a series of videos on my youtube site:

Vid 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOFSpFPwsyk
Old 02-24-2011, 12:23 PM
rgg16g
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude

I installed this kit along with radioflyer's euro-fog kit. His instructions are very well written and easy to follow. The most time consuming part for me was finding a place to mount 3 HID ballasts per side. No big deal you just have to be careful to give yourself enough slack in the wire harness's so they don't bind or pinch. All of the harness were well designed, the proper length and easy to assemble with OEM style connections.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:32 PM
hattitude
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks...

Not as bad as I thought it might be...... very tempting
Old 02-26-2011, 09:56 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

two more days
Old 02-27-2011, 01:03 AM
TheDVS1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theradioflyer
two more days
Hi George. Is this the GP for the upgrade too? I've been watching your other thread and posting there. Just noticed this one.

I'm in for the upgrade to the Bi-Xenons for my LC 2.0 kit. I have the 55w 4300k bulbs.

Doug

Last edited by TheDVS1; 02-27-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:32 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by TheDVS1
Hi George. Is this the GP for the upgrade too? I've been watching your other thread and posting there. Just noticed this one.

I'm in for the upgrade to the Bi-Xenons for my LC 2.0 kit. I have the 55w 5k bulbs.

Doug
Yes this GP includes upgrades for existing LC 2.0 owners.

I've sent you a PM with payment details.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:39 PM
TheDVS1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theradioflyer
Yes this GP includes upgrades for existing LC 2.0 owners.

I've sent you a PM with payment details.
PayPal sent for the upgrade! Thanks and let us know when you'll start shipping.

Doug
Old 03-01-2011, 11:06 PM
MadMaxZ06
Racer

George is a great guy to deal with. Do yourself a favor and upgrade the underperforming OEM headlights. I LOVE my Vette, but the stock headlights just weren't cutting it.
- Max
Old 03-02-2011, 03:49 PM
02EBZ06VA
Instructor

Any idea of when another GP will be in place. I wish I had not missed the last one.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:53 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by 02EBZ06VA
Any idea of when another GP will be in place. I wish I had not missed the last one.
probably another 3 weeks. If you REALLY want in, shoot me an email and i can squeeze you in this order.

radioflyer97@gmail.com
Old 03-03-2011, 08:19 AM
02EBZ06VA
Instructor

Email sent.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:06 PM
STL Z06
Intermediate

I missed this one also, but I have a couple of questions for you.
1. What color options do you have for the HALO's?
2. I have an 03 Z06.. I noticed on your fixed version it was an easy upgrade to add fogs on a ZO6. I an assuming the underhood harness already has the plugs, and I just need to swap out the dash switch. Is that correct, and is the same thing true for this version?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Weissy
Instructor

Damn, these are VERY nice. I may just have to replace my cheap HID's I put in and get these baby's in the near future.
Damn, more money to spend.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:08 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by STL Z06
I missed this one also, but I have a couple of questions for you.
1. What color options do you have for the HALO's?
2. I have an 03 Z06.. I noticed on your fixed version it was an easy upgrade to add fogs on a ZO6. I an assuming the underhood harness already has the plugs, and I just need to swap out the dash switch. Is that correct, and is the same thing true for this version?

Thanks
1. White (the only legal color in most states) and Blue (check your local laws)

2. This version does not have a secondary projector so you would have to use my Euro Fog kit to add fog lights into the factory locations with a dedicated harness

Get notified of new replies

To ***Light Cannon Projector Headlights GP: Now with Bi-xenon option!!!***

Quick Reply: [Z06] ***Light Cannon Projector Headlights GP: Now with Bi-xenon option!!!***