Sponsored by:

Just replaced top hatch struts

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:05 PM
mtdoragary
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just replaced top hatch struts

Getting the old ones off was pretty easy, if you consider crawling in the trunk easy! And attaching the forward end of the struts while lying in the trunk is a piece of cake. But then the dilemna reared it's ugly head. Ya gotta get at the back of the struts from the trunk. That's easy enough, but they are compressed and attaching the rear of the new ones requires compressing the new ones! If you're the Governator, maybe that's easy too. Of course it would be easy for anyone if the hatch were raised and the struts could be installed in their extended position, but the Vette won't let you raise the hatch while the trunk is open! So you have to raise the top hatch, raise the top into it's vertical clamshell position and have someone hold the hatch while you crawl into the convertible top storage area and trunk. You really gotta trust the person holding hatch if you're claustrophobic! With the top hatch raised the shocks are extended, and relatively easy to install. Just don't let your helper leave after you install the first strut even though the hatch will stay open with one good strut. Your helper will need to handle the hatch to get it positioned just right to attach the strut. Have fun, and make sure the person holding the hatch likes you!

OK, NOW is the time for someone to point out the EASY way and make me feel REALLY stupid!
Old 02-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Antvette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced mine by myself. I had a board hold up the hatch as I positioned the struts. I had installed the bottom connectors first then i sat further back in the hatch area and adjusted the top till I connected them. I had used my shoulder to finely adjust them till I had one connected then the second one. Hope that helps you.

Last edited by Antvette; 02-23-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:26 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

I don't need hatch struts but I am going to be doing the struts soo I am going with chrome ones

Thanks,Matt
Old 02-24-2011, 06:24 AM
mtdoragary
Instructor

Originally Posted by Antvette
I replaced mine by myself. I had a board hold up the hatch as I positioned the struts. I had installed the bottom connectors first then i sat further back in the hatch area and adjusted the top till I connected them. I had used my shoulder to finely adjust them till I had one connected then the second one. Hope that helps you.
truck? bottom half? top half?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:00 AM
Antvette
Drifting

I fixed it to say hatch. I had the board sit at the back corner, not sitting on the carpet but up on the ledge, and then up to just wedge in on the front of the latch on the same corner. It was only about a 1x2in board and about 30in long I think. Not too sure on the measurements, just something I had lying around.

Last edited by Antvette; 02-24-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:35 PM
mtdoragary
Instructor

Originally Posted by Antvette
I fixed it to say hatch. I had the board sit at the back corner, not sitting on the carpet but up on the ledge, and then up to just wedge in on the front of the latch on the same corner. It was only about a 1x2in board and about 30in long I think. Not too sure on the measurements, just something I had lying around.
Boy, I'm glad that stick didn't slip and leave you locked under the hatch. I know you could get ypurself out, but that would freak me out!
Old 02-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Antvette
Drifting

lol...yeah, I made sure it was secure enough not to just come loose. I made sure to do it real quick too just in case...but no mishaps.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sometimes you have to be a contortionist to work on these cars. Glad you got the struts installed.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Kevin Kuse
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have the strut part #'s
Old 06-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Neck Breaker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this is from early this year but I need to replace my strut too. I went to advance auto to pick up the part and they gave a hood strut for some SUV. (No jokes) They told me this is what I need for my vert hatch. I told the lady I must have dumb on my forehead. Sorry to get off topic.

I need this part number too. I don't want to open a new thread if I don't have to.

Get notified of new replies

To Just replaced top hatch struts

Quick Reply: Just replaced top hatch struts