Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why no Chilton/Clymer for the C5?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 10:53 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

Default Why no Chilton/Clymer for the C5?

I have owned a few cars and always had a Chilton or Clymer (Haynes for my TR-7...don't ask) DIY manual. These were great books, they took the car apart, put it back together and wrote the how-to. Everything from routine MX to swapping the engine. Can't get one for my C5 or even my wife's 09 Subaru.

WTFO?
Old 02-26-2011, 11:07 PM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 222 Likes on 154 Posts

Because they want you to buy the service manual for $150+, buy the disc on the auction site for less than $10. and don't look back. The media is soft copy.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:21 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by yaknow
Because they want you to buy the service manual for $150+, buy the disc on the auction site for less than $10. and don't look back. The media is soft copy.
I DID by the service manual...it's like three volumes of the Boise phonebook...the Clymer/Chilton books were way more user friendly (and I don't have a TECH-2)
Old 02-27-2011, 02:01 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Apparently it's because the number of Corvette users (presumably who will work their own car) did not make it viable or cost effective to produce the manual.

The cost of the Helms manuals is high but the Techline ESi CD is a good compromise and has all the procedures for any GM car as well as the C5.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:52 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jcgunn
I have owned a few cars and always had a Chilton or Clymer ... WTFO?
The Chilton manual that covers my 1980 is approximately the same thickness as the 1980 GM Service Manual. The GM Manual for my 2003 is about 5 inches thick. This growth is tied IMO to increasing sophistication of our cars. How many folks are going to purchase a 5 inch thick Chilton manual vs the OEM, or what would be left out in a "mini" manual?

You don't take your car to a "mechanic" anymore, they're "auto technicians". And rightly so, yesterday was REPAIR, today is REPLACEMENT.

The secondary manual writers today face competition from the OEM on one side, and internet web sites on the other.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:14 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Most won't even read their owners manual much less a Service Manual of any kind. Everyone wants instant answers from the Internet for free anymore. Take a lot of money to make one of those manuals, if the markets too small it isn't worth it to make books anymore.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:52 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

I'm on the OP's side on this issue. The factory manuals have crappy drawings, confusing orientation views, not enough detail, no real pics, a bazaar numbering/cataloging system, tons of repetition i.e. there is no need to spell out all the steps for reassembly after you've followed all the steps for disassembly. I could go on, but there is no substitute for high resolution color pics to aid the backyard mechanic...I would buy a Chilton book in a heartbeat, and, yes, I do own the factory manuals and use them often, but in this age they leave a lot to be desired.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
I'm on the OP's side on this issue. The factory manuals have crappy drawings, confusing orientation views, not enough detail, no real pics, a bazaar numbering/cataloging system, tons of repetition i.e. there is no need to spell out all the steps for reassembly after you've followed all the steps for disassembly. I could go on, but there is no substitute for high resolution color pics to aid the backyard mechanic...I would buy a Chilton book in a heartbeat, and, yes, I do own the factory manuals and use them often, but in this age they leave a lot to be desired.

Get notified of new replies

To Why no Chilton/Clymer for the C5?

Quick Reply: Why no Chilton/Clymer for the C5?