Sponsored by:

Knocking Sound Behind the Dash....Part Deux

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Default Knocking Sound Behind the Dash....Part Deux

So I take my car back in to CarToys today, and as luck would have it their top installer was in today instead of the igit kid that messed up my dashboard and e-brake. He did some digging around and purely by chance happened to touch his hand against the culprit of all of the problems I've had with chasing down the dreaded knock behind the dash.

What was it?

The *bleep*-ing factory antenna cable end was loose and resting on one of the arms of the metal radio cage. Every time I hit a bump or ran the rpm's up it bounced on the cage. Because of its location the sound was coming out of the vent on top of the dash, and had a deep sound to it because it was muffled behind the stereo and HVAC equipment and bezel.

Finally, after two weeks, the problem is solved. I also have an appointment this Thursday to take my car in to have the damage to the dash and e-brake repaired. The bad part is that I will have to go back again to have the Humount faceplate installed after it arrives. The good thing is that the installer that located the problem is one of the few pros left in the area who knows what he's doing. He had several descriptive words he used to voice his opinion of the igit who damaged my car.

Now that I know he's working there I can schedule my work with his work schedule. After that, none of my cars will ever see the inside of a CarToys again.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,230 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Has to be a big relief to you to finally get this solved. Now good luck getting the damage fixed.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:34 PM
PUMP03
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Oldtimer

Happy to hear that you finally nailed that gremlin. Like we surmissed, the aftermarket radio install was at the root.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:42 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

And the story continues.....

As I was heading out to pick my daughter up yesterday I went to turn on my radar detector after getting on the freeway. It didn't turn on. I plugged the power cord into the power supply inside the center console and it came on. So basically, they fixed the knocking sound, but broke my cigarrette lighter. The manager was gone by the time I discovered this so I'll be giving him a call this morning.

I go in tomorrow afternoon to have the other damage fixed.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by PUMP03
Happy to hear that you finally nailed that gremlin. Like we surmissed, the aftermarket radio install was at the root.
Thanks, I was happy to not hear that dang knocking anymore. After everything I've been through since it started I was about ready to scalp somebody if it wasn't fixed.

And again, thank you for your help in isolating the problem.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Got back from CarToys a little while ago. The damage they did is fixed, along with the non-working cig lighter, but it's not even close to looking new like it did and the manager argued with me about the damage done to the e-brake and the third scratch in the dash that he hadn't seen. It's a good thing I took the car back up there the day after they did the damage and had the asst manager take pics to show him. The guy was acting like a total jerk until I reminded him how much money I spent there and that I'd been doing business with that store for 14 years and 4 cars.

What's worse is that when I raised the steering wheel up to get out of the car after I got home I noticed a nice new scratch in the airbag cover. At this point I'm done with them completely. It's not even worth the hassle to go back because the manager is just going to argue with me about it. I just wish I'd seen it while I was still there.

Get notified of new replies

To Knocking Sound Behind the Dash....Part Deux

Quick Reply: Knocking Sound Behind the Dash....Part Deux