Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] New Zo6 Owner thinking about NOS.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 05:48 PM
CRZ06
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Zo6 Owner thinking about NOS.

I am a proud new owner of a 2001 Zo6 w/ 40,000 miles. I have alot of plans for the car but in the short run would like to put nitrous on the car. Anyone with some helpfull info would be great. I have no idea what system to use wet/dry or who to buy from?

Last edited by CRZ06; 03-16-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:02 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

if your asking for our 2 cents..
i owned an 01 Z for 60k miles ..ran great..an 06 for about 15k miles, and currently an 04 z16 for about 10k miles.So i've been driving Z's for the last 7 yrs..
..the cars run great with tunes and simple mods...very reliable.
i am not a NOS guy...i"ve see too many that become very un-reliable and develop a lot of "issues"..so i would'nt bother for the bucks.
one last and probably most important thought; these cars are very hard to drive at their full potential...especially on the street...learn the car well , and you will be very happy with it in just "stock" form...then do the mods incrementally.just my 2cents
but to each his own..and good luck on your decisions...
Old 03-16-2011, 06:07 PM
CRZ06
Heel & Toe

Thank you for your post. I am not really or ever have been a big fan of NOS. What is your opinoin on upgrades as far as where to start and price?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:18 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no to nos.

lt headers would be my first mod and doing an advanced search on what to do as it is covered monthly if not weekly on this forum.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:23 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

bottles are for babies real men get blown..
Old 03-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Only time my car sees red line was on the dyno. I love spirited driving but unless your drag racing how could you use NOS.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:58 PM
Weissy
Instructor

I would stay clear of nitrous unless you really, REALLY wanted it. Go with the basics first that are permanent power adders, but what is paramount, it was said already..... "Driver Mod" first. Understand your car and you will be golden.

I went with intake several weeks after buying mine, then exhaust about 6-12 months after. Mainly because I was a broke college student who could barely afford the car. Although it allowed me to practice and practice on the many open mountain roads we have here in Arizona, along with the occasional track days. That was the best mod I can think of.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:36 PM
p1bz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it, I've been spraying 2 kits on my car for a while now. The only down side is filling the bottle, but I don't spray everywhere I go so it's no big deal. I also run 2 10lb bottles in my car.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:53 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

All throttle, no bottle. Best place to start is a good CAI (Vararam, Honker, Halltech, etc.), headers, and a good professional tune. You could see 30-40 rwhp with these mods.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:15 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
All throttle, no bottle. Best place to start is a good CAI (Vararam, Honker, Halltech, etc.), headers, and a good professional tune. You could see 30-40 rwhp with these mods.
I agree. I have these basic mods and have been very happy.

Rick
Old 03-16-2011, 11:57 PM
superramvette2
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 59 Posts

Been using spray for years ( Since 2002 had it on my C4). Most of the people who comment on nitrous have never used it. Just like the vararam haters. It can be very safe if done right. It is the best bang for the buck and your car can drive like stock until you want that extra 100 horsepower to the tires. Go with wet and get all the safety goodies. WIndows switch, plug change, etc. Spray a 100 shot to be really safe and have all the fun you want.

Forced induction is nice if your have the funds, if you're on a budget go spray.

And for the record its NITROUS not NOS. NOS is a brand of Holley that makes nitrous kits/parts.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:12 AM
Sinister-Z
Racer

I'm going to have to disagree with most of the previous opinions about nitrous. I personally used nitrous on many of my past cars and have had nothing but success and a lot of fun memories with it. There are so many misconceptions about nitrous especially from people that don't understand how it works. Nitrous is completely safe as long as you stay within reason for your particular engine. There many safety devices you can use to safely and reliably add nitrous to your car.

You can safely run a 100-150 HP shot on a stock LSX motor with no issues. Spend money on a complete kit like one from Nitrous Outlet. They have some of the best kits on the market and include items that are paramount for a safe reliable nitrous system. Things like a fuel pressure safety cut-off switch, nitrous controller, bottle heater, blow down tube etc. Not to mention Nitrous Outlet makes some of the best plates on the market. I have never had a nitrous backfire while using one of their plates.

Just decide if you want to use a dry or wet system. A quick Google search will explain the difference. I recommend a wet system which is much easier to tune if you plan on doing more mods in the future. I would explain the difference but I'm on my phone and don't feel like typing up something that can be easily explained with just a search.

I don't have a nitrous system currently on my Z because of the A&A supercharger kit that I'm using. I decided to change things up a bit when I got the vette.

And as for the saying "all throttle no bottle"...that's just what losers say when they get beat.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:39 AM
MPM IV
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CRZ06
Thank you for your post. I am not really or ever have been a big fan of NOS. What is your opinoin on upgrades as far as where to start and price?
If you aren't a fan of nitrous why are you considering it?
I wouldn't take advice about anything from someone who dosen't have current experience with it. Having said that, I like all power adders, nitrous in particular. They all have pro's and con's. I've been spraying vette's for about a decade now without a problem. Problems mostly come from a lack of knowledge and trying to cut corners/keep it cheap.
I don't recommend nitrous as a first mod, even though it has the most hp per dollar. If the car is only fun on the bottle you're going to be filling it all the time and get tired of it. My results are in my sig.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:03 AM
firefighter813x
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to be that guy... it's nitrous, N20, spray, etc. NOS is the brand. It's a pet peeve of mine!
Old 03-17-2011, 11:36 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I would offer that for the C5 Z06, IMHO adding more power means adding more tire if you intend to actually put it to the ground...
Old 03-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Badd LS6
Drifting

i have a 04z with LTs,catless X,borla straight pipes,vararam..doin the bolt-ons is fun but once you get the mod bug your Scr**ed ...i love the sound and performance of my vette but its never enough..so i bought my first Nitrous express wet kit that will be going on april =)
Old 03-17-2011, 03:17 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

There are other mods I would do first for sure. Lsx's love nitrous and run really well on it. Set it up right and use it.

Get notified of new replies

To New Zo6 Owner thinking about NOS.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:43 PM
CRZ06
Heel & Toe

Thank you all for your opinions and advise. I will get back with everyone on what I have decided to do.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:37 PM
Yorad
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRZ06
Thank you all for your opinions and advise. I will get back with everyone on what I have decided to do.
Thanks for posting this, it saved me from doing even more research. From what I've read so far there is an ENDLESS argument about a few things regarding nitrous and you'll never hear the end of either. It's like asking what the best oil is or whether pitbulls are ok as pets or pro-choice vs pro-life. These "NOS" (haha) arguments include
1) Whether wet or dry makes more power? People have added hundreds with both in reality
2) which is easier to tune?
3) which is safer?

I'm scared to death of a nitrous back-fire, which is only possible on wet from what I understand and I'm only thinking of about a 125 shot so I'm leaning toward a dry kit with ALL the safety bells and whistles. To each their own though.

Please do keep us posted though, it may be a while until I pull the trigger so I'd love to see other's results with a similar situation to mine; and by situation I mean: I'm close to stock, I'm not spending $6k+ to go forced induction, I can't do much with exhaust because I don't want it too loud (long story), and I'm not going to drop thousands on cam/intake/exhaust to get only 40-60 hp out of it and kill my mileage and reliability since it's practically a daily driver. The only way to stay on a reasonable budget and retain drivability is the bottle, IMO. Good luck.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:52 PM
nyg215
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

work on bolt on first....then get a nitrous outlet plate kit with all safety features....once you feel nitrous you will be hooked!!!!

Quick Reply: [Z06] New Zo6 Owner thinking about NOS.