Sponsored by:

Any Single DIN Flip Down DVD pictures??

Old 03-23-2011, 08:53 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,860 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

To be honest with you I'm not a real big stereo guy so I think it sounds good for what I need it for. I don't have an amp or any external power booster installed. It does fit pretty good into the cutout and I like that part. I got it from Walmart just to try it out as it was on sale and pretty cheap. It does have a hard time reading any SD cards that are bigger then 4gig though. I had a 16 gig in it and had it reading for over a half hour and took it out. 4gig seems to only take a few seconds. I also had to make my own custom mount so it would sit higher into the hole towards the top. Made it out of 1/4" plexiglass with a 1/4" plexi spacer behind it too so the mount would sit flush with the console cover. Over all I guess it's not a real bad stereo. Can't change any of the screens either and have to deal with what they put on it. Some are kind of hard to read the words on when the sun is out. DVD works great though.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:38 PM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mstromquist
Nice. If you don't mind me asking how does the 5.3" screen fit and work for you? I have the 4.3" screen in mine and it seems to fit the cutout perfect. Love it so far but would go with the 5.3" if it still fits in the original console cutout nice. Mike inspired me as well after I read that writeup.
I like it so far; I have had it for about two years now. It has good controls. I had to make my own face plate as well, but it was not hard at all.

This looks like a lot of wires, but once you do it once it becomes second nature.

As far as more pics, I don't have any more, but here is a video I took the night I finished installing it. It is bad, but you get the idea.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:48 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the video. Looks like it fits rather well. Think I will be ordering the 5.3".
Old 03-24-2011, 12:25 AM
PTBradford
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribing
Old 03-24-2011, 03:18 AM
ColeTrain'sC5
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the ones i've seen were motorized. I don't want a flip out one that burns out so is there one that is just a fixed screen?
Old 03-24-2011, 06:23 AM
wascapsfan
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one. It's a PTID-5300 made by Power Acoustiks. It fits well and I needed no modification except the typical kit.
If you need one, I'll sell you mine for $200 shipped as I have switched to a double din. I still have the original box. Its a little over a year old but it was only used about 15 times. I don't drive my vette daily. Also...let me know if you are planning on using the factory Bose speakers in the front doors. I have a little gadget that makes it so you can still use the front speakers (they have built in amplifiers) without modification other than adding the gadget.
Be careful of refurbished units though. I bought one new as I didn't want to take a chance. I hate to pull my dash apart more than necessary.

Last edited by wascapsfan; 03-24-2011 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Speedaemonc4
Racer

I think I wanna go with this one, looks really good and I can put a vette emblem on the background for it, plus its only 200 at amazon as long as you dont tell them its for a vette.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ID-7002NR.html

Thats a link to several reviews. Its big so I may need to cut a tiny but with the dremmel but well see, Id rather it cover more of the dash than less.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Speedaemonc4
Racer

Originally Posted by wascapsfan
I have one. It's a PTID-5300 made by Power Acoustiks. It fits well and I needed no modification except the typical kit.
If you need one, I'll sell you mine for $200 shipped as I have switched to a double din. I still have the original box. Its a little over a year old but it was only used about 15 times. I don't drive my vette daily. Also...let me know if you are planning on using the factory Bose speakers in the front doors. I have a little gadget that makes it so you can still use the front speakers (they have built in amplifiers) without modification other than adding the gadget.
Be careful of refurbished units though. I bought one new as I didn't want to take a chance. I hate to pull my dash apart more than necessary.
Which gadget is it?? Ive seen several used, dont the back speakers have amps too?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:57 AM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ColeTrain'sC5
the ones i've seen were motorized. I don't want a flip out one that burns out so is there one that is just a fixed screen?
Mine is motorized; I have used it for almost two years now, and it still works the same. The face flips down perpendicular to the radio. I have put an infinite number of CDs and DVDs in it because I don't listen to the radio stations we have around this area.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:20 PM
ColeTrain'sC5
Melting Slicks

^ yeah see i would end up just listening to my Ipod and the radio. ~Cole~
Old 03-24-2011, 11:36 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Speedaemonc4
I think I wanna go with this one, looks really good and I can put a vette emblem on the background for it, plus its only 200 at amazon as long as you dont tell them its for a vette.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ID-7002NR.html

Thats a link to several reviews. Its big so I may need to cut a tiny but with the dremmel but well see, Id rather it cover more of the dash than less.
Wow, good find. You'll have to let us know how you like the fit and what it all covers up. I really like the fact you can change the screen image. That is one thing I really wish mine had.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:40 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

for what its worth everyone
there is a reason you do not see me offering the cheaper flip outs on here

They along with the 1.5 din units are not very good. My supplier told me they have more troubles with these cheaper units than you can imagine with returns due to them not working or breaking

the Kenwood flip out is good as well as Pioneer
stick with them if your wanting to do this

Dennis
Old 03-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedaemonc4
Which gadget is it?? Ive seen several used,
look at my link above; it has all the info there.

dont the back speakers have amps too?
no.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
for what its worth everyone
there is a reason you do not see me offering the cheaper flip outs on here They along with the 1.5 din units are not very good. My supplier told me they have more troubles with these cheaper units than you can imagine with returns due to them not working or breaking
No need to bash what you're not selling. That sales trick ("they're having problems with those") died back in the 20th century. Nobody accepts generalized statements like that anymore

I am the originator of the 1.5 DIN installation post on CF, and mine's worked flawlessly all these years.

If my budget was $600-800, then of course I would of went with different equipment.

It was $380 for all the equipment needed to do a complete install; one helluva lot for under $400. For people cheap like me (and for those not wanting to alter their bezel), it's this... or stay with the factory radio.

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 03-25-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:48 AM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
No need to bash what you're not selling. That sales trick died
back in the 20th century.

I am the originator of the 1.5 DIN installation post on CF, and mine's worked flawlessly all these years.

And it was $380 for all the equipment needed to do a complete install. For people cheap like me, it's this... or stay with the factory radio.
it has worked well with my application too. I spent close to $500 for the head unit, ROEM peripheral, amplifier, and a subwoofer/box assy.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:02 AM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

I did this with less than $500 dollars. It plays DVDs, CDs, MP3s, MP4s, Navigation, custom back ground, amplifier, and a swbwoofer. It's not bad for the price I paid to do it my self really.

Last edited by damilleniumboy; 03-25-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Originally Posted by damilleniumboy
I did this with less than $500 dollars.

WOW !

Get notified of new replies

To Any Single DIN Flip Down DVD pictures??

Old 03-25-2011, 11:33 AM
ShawnFate
Racer

I have a cheapie one , it has bluetooth , SD card..etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GzTPft3tSM
Old 03-25-2011, 11:40 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
No need to bash what you're not selling. That sales trick ("they're having problems with those") died back in the 20th century. Nobody accepts generalized statements like that anymore

If my budget was $600-800, then of course I would of went with different equipment.

It was $380 for all the equipment needed to do a complete install; one helluva lot for under $400. For people cheap like me (and for those not wanting to alter their bezel), it's this... or stay with the factory radio.

I just was making everyone aware that there is issues with the cheaper units is all and not trying to bash anything

I have been asked many times to get these for people

TVIEW, VALOR are two i know for sure there is issues and we have had them
sent 3 out a year ago and all three came back for returns

If you guys want to see 1.5 din option or flip out we can do it

Planet Audio P9725B is the one I would recommend

329.99 shipped for

radio
1.5 to 1.0 dash kit
roem-vet1
gm antenna adapter
BLUETOOTH®-ENABLED
IN-DASH MOTORIZED SINGLE-DIN DVD/MP3/CD AM/FM RECEIVER WITH 7” WIDESCREEN TOUCHSCREEN TFT MONITOR WITH USB AND SD MEMORY CARD PORTS AND FRONT AUX INPUT

Also available in non-Bluetooth®: P9720
  • Single-DIN mounting
  • WMA/MP4/MP3/DVD/SVCD/VCD/CDR/CDRW & SDVD compatible
  • 7" Touchscreen TFT widescreen active matrix display
  • Resolution: 1440 x 234 pixels
  • Brightness: 600 NITS
  • On-screen display
  • Vertical angle adjustment
  • NTSC/PAL compatible monitor
  • PLL synthesized AM/FM tuner
  • 30 station presets
  • RDS (Radio Data System)
  • Switchable USA/Europe radio frequencies
  • Separate bass and treble
  • Balance and fader controls
  • Compatible with audio output of iPod® and other MP3 players
  • Mute function
  • Intro scan
  • Last position memory
  • 1-Bit D/A converter
  • 8X oversampling
  • ESP (anti-skip mechanism)
  • Dual (front and rear) RCA outputs
  • Wireless remote control
  • Output power: 80w x 4 channels

more options

http://www.valormultimedia.com/ProductList/C24-P0.html

http://www.tview.us/images/D74TS-1.jpg

http://www.planetaudiousa.com/main/471

Last edited by Double D Mods; 03-25-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:20 PM
ColeTrain'sC5
Melting Slicks

I trust the input of Dennis on audio electronics as he always seems to give an honest answer. I mean there is hit or miss with stuff and maybe a couple on here have gotten lucky but i'm sure there are plenty of people out there that have problems with them too. I have a friend that works at Best Buy headquarters here in MN and he used to do installs for one of the biggest Best Buys in the country. He used to install some of these 1.5 DIN's and flip outs but they too had alot of returns for burnt out motors and other things. I believe most if not all best buys do not carry these anymore because of that unless they are better units. I wouldn't mind one as long as i can avoid letting it retract all the time so it doesn't burn out. I personally think the double din is the best "looking" setup in the Vette's. It actually looks like they should have been there from the factory.

*** Edit*** i was considering getting one of these 1.5 dins because of the fact i didn't want to spend a ton on the double din. But today after talking with my buddy he said of the 350 or so that he installed only 50 never came back for one issue or another related to the head unit. He said that brand in general has issues. He said they look great as far as style but are not reliable.

Last edited by ColeTrain'sC5; 03-25-2011 at 01:27 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any Single DIN Flip Down DVD pictures??