[Z06] The Dark Side of the Corbeau A4

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 11:00 PM
tlc0706
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Good presentation by the OP. His personal issues are stated with no degredation to the product or any other member's opinion. Need more of these as what one would consider of no consiquence another might consider a game changer. Personal opinion is, after all, personal opinion and that's what the Corvette is all about........
Old 04-03-2011, 07:19 PM
3dNomad
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

does the seat back tilt forward at all for access purposes?
Old 04-03-2011, 09:15 PM
SnakeaterZ28
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally am not happy with my A4's either... They are too uncomfortable for me. I am 6'1'' 200 lbs and chest is 42 inches and shoulders are 49, also have a 35 inch waist. It's tight on me and starts to hurt after more than a 2 hour trip. So I imagine if your a really small guy then the seats should be perfect for you. I love to look of them and everything, but I am half tempted to put the stockers back in. I also enjoy long walks on the beaches and a good deep dish pizza LOL!

Last edited by SnakeaterZ28; 04-04-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:56 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Are they hard to adjust with the handles being on the inside?

Thanks,

Rick
Old 04-03-2011, 10:38 PM
edaniel7
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me 6'0'', 205 with 40" waist, 44 chest and 48" shoulders...Wouldn't work for me...too tight...I'm still looking
Old 04-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Longhorn

Thanks,

Rick
Rick:

The lever is not too bad to get to. I actually went to Home depot and got 2x Carabiner's like the one below. I took off the carabiner, and only used the strap. I put a key chain ring at both ends of the strap. I drilled a small hole in the end of the lever (~1/2" from the tip) and attached one of the key chain rings thru the hole. I now just reach down and put my finger thru the key chain ring at the end of the strap to lift up. I can't take credit for that idea, the guy I met locally did the same... I got 2x black straps (not red)...

I was just out cruising today and yesterday.... damm I love these seats. I feel like i'm strapped into a cockpit. When i crank around a turn i'm completely kept upright. There is no fighting to stay composed in my seat (distracting me from driving hard). I can't imagine anyone who does not like being held in tight. But maybe I'm alone on that aspect. Who knows...

I'm a 38" waist and I have to be careful not to get any bigger. I could see them being too tight I'f I don't keep my waist where I'm at now.

Toque

Last edited by Toque; 04-03-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:43 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks Toque. I really appreciate the follow up. They are great looking seats for sure and the functionality is a huge improvement.

Rick
Old 04-04-2011, 08:15 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

I don't find the handles hard to get to at all. I can slip my hand down the side and get to the lever with no problem.

Originally Posted by C5Longhorn

Thanks,

Rick
Old 04-04-2011, 10:57 AM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 3dNomad
does the seat back tilt forward at all for access purposes?
No, not in the easy way that the stock seats do with that little latch behind the headrest. But I'm unaware of any other aftermarket seats that fit the C5 and maintain this functionality (although they may exist somewhere).
I think though, using the regular tilt lever, you can make the seat back tilt forward beyond the vertical position. Someone would have to verify this though.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:22 AM
BitViper
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette Gods say
If( !(Waist > 36 || Waist > 38) || (Heigt > 72in))
{
return Stock Seat;
}
else
{
return Racing Seat
}
Its physics....
Old 06-29-2011, 01:33 AM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm 6'2", 230lbs, 34-36" waist and the Corbeau A4's feel fine to me. I wish they were even heavier/beefier personally but they are definitely better stock in every way!

The things I hate about them is having to flip the seats L/R and R/L, whereby the tilt control lever on each seat is now sandwiched on the inside of the seats (against the seat belt assembly and tunnel). PITA to adjust!! Also, I have the lumbar option and the hose/pump lies precariously on the outside of each seat (has to be tucked away or it may fall out the door of the car, get damaged). Lastly, the seats move forward/back horribly) very hard to adjust and very little adjustments.

In the end, heck...they are race seats. Not perfect but again, much better than the stockers.

I got the leather and they look awesome and should last longer than microsuede.

For the price I paid, no "deal killler" complaints. Anything else available that is marginally better is also way more expensive.

Happy with my black leather A4's overall.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:40 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJB
I'm 6'2", 230lbs, 34-36" waist and the Corbeau A4's feel fine to me. I wish they were even heavier/beefier personally but they are definitely better stock in every way!

The things I hate about them is having to flip the seats L/R and R/L, whereby the tilt control lever on each seat is now sandwiched on the inside of the seats (against the seat belt assembly and tunnel). PITA to adjust!! Also, I have the lumbar option and the hose/pump lies precariously on the outside of each seat (has to be tucked away or it may fall out the door of the car, get damaged). Lastly, the seats move forward/back horribly) very hard to adjust and very little adjustments.

In the end, heck...they are race seats. Not perfect but again, much better than the stockers.

I got the leather and they look awesome and should last longer than microsuede.

For the price I paid, no "deal killler" complaints. Anything else available that is marginally better is also way more expensive.

Happy with my black leather A4's overall.
I agree with mostly everything you said. Except...

The A4's really are NOT race seats. I too initially thought they were, but the instant I sat down in the Sparco Evo I realized that the A4 is merely a sporty street seat. I also hit the track for the first time this weekend and found myself desiring more of my A4's. Proper fixed-back race seats do a MUCH better job of keeping you glued down. Then again, maybe I'm just a bit too slender for them.

Second, there really are better seats available for a similar price. I dropped $1450 on my Corbeau A4's (black leather w/adjustable lumbar, brackets, and dual-locking sliders). There are plenty of options out there for south of $2k (Sparco, Recaro, and Cobra all have seats that are currently on my radar). I only wish I had known this sooner.

As always, no disrespect intended
Old 06-29-2011, 01:06 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by skyavonee

The A4's really are NOT race seats. I too initially thought they were, but the instant I sat down in the Sparco Evo I realized that the A4 is merely a sporty street seat. I also hit the track for the first time this weekend and found myself desiring more of my A4's. Proper fixed-back race seats do a MUCH better job of keeping you glued down. Then again, maybe I'm just a bit too slender for them.

Second, there really are better seats available for a similar price. I dropped $1450 on my Corbeau A4's (black leather w/adjustable lumbar, brackets, and dual-locking sliders). There are plenty of options out there for south of $2k (Sparco, Recaro, and Cobra all have seats that are currently on my radar). I only wish I had known this sooner.

No disrespect felt/taken! Good discussion...

Ok, so they are sport street seat...that will work at the occasional track day. Perfect for my needs. I paid $1400 installed w/tax (black leather w/adjustable lumbar, brackets, and dual-locking sliders), and sold my stock seats for $450 so I'm only into them for $950.

If I was able to find Sparco, Recaro or Cobra seats that fit in the C5 and came in true leather for south of $2k, I would have gone that route!! My not so exhaustive research told me otherwise however. I was told to expect nearly double the price.

Are there really options in those brands in leather for under $2k? If so, I'm going to call my shop that told me no and tell them that they suck.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Dan@Assaultech
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skyavonee

Well said, the A4 is far from a race seat. It is a good looking seat at a great cost. If you really need a race seat Sparco or Recaro is the way to go. They make the best and best priced FIA approved seats. The amount of car you feel through a fixed back seat is a real thing of beauty and can greatly improve driving in any area, street or track.

Note: Recaro Pole Position is the best bang for the buck in leather. They come in at about $1200 ea. Status Ring seats are only $950 shipped ea.

Last edited by Dan@Assaultech; 06-29-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:59 PM
enigma94
Racer

I'm glad I read this as I was strongly considering the A4's but I think I'm going to hold out for some Recaros. That adjustment **** location seems it would really bother me even at 1400 for the pair. Which non-fixed back Recaro models fit in the C5??
Old 06-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Dan@Assaultech
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by enigma94
I'm glad I read this as I was strongly considering the A4's but I think I'm going to hold out for some Recaros. That adjustment **** location seems it would really bother me even at 1400 for the pair. Which non-fixed back Recaro models fit in the C5??
I think there is some slight modding to make them fit but the Recaro Pole Position comes in Black leather and will mount in a C5. Give me a call or shoot me a PM when you are ready to order seats. We do normally keep leather pole positions in stock (out until 8/1)

EDIT: Didn't read correctly, you asked NON fixed back. I will check into it and let you know.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:25 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dan@Assaultech
I think there is some slight modding to make them fit but the Recaro Pole Position comes in Black leather and will mount in a C5. Give me a call or shoot me a PM when you are ready to order seats. We do normally keep leather pole positions in stock (out until 8/1)

EDIT: Didn't read correctly, you asked NON fixed back. I will check into it and let you know.
Price for set of Recaro Pole Position seats in black leather please...for my C5Z. Shipped to 94583. Thanks.

Last edited by MotoJB; 06-29-2011 at 02:28 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To The Dark Side of the Corbeau A4

Old 06-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Dan@Assaultech
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Price for set of Recaro Pole Position seats in black leather please...for my C5Z. Shipped to 94583. Thanks.
PM Sent, thanks!!!
-Danny
Old 06-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Vette53
Instructor

Like I have said in other posts...
I LOVE the Sparco EVO Plus seats. I have them hard mounted to the floor. That being said I highly recommend sitting in the seats you are considering.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:35 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vette53
Like I have said in other posts...
I LOVE the Sparco EVO Plus seats. I have them hard mounted to the floor. That being said I highly recommend sitting in the seats you are considering.

How much did they run you?

Quick Reply: [Z06] The Dark Side of the Corbeau A4